Author Topic: Genos instrument definition file  (Read 3193 times)

Genos instrument definition file
« on: March 23, 2020, 04:25:09 PM »
Hi all,

Does anyone have the Genos instrument definition file in .xml format? I'm using Cubase and it doesn't recognize the .ins format from Jorgen's site. Thanks.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Bachus

Re: Genos instrument definition file
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 06:03:42 PM »
Hi all,

Does anyone have the Genos instrument definition file in .xml format? I'm using Cubase and it doesn't recognize the .ins format from Jorgen's site. Thanks.

I think .ins is the Cakewalk/roland format..
If so, its not supported by Cubase

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 06:12:16 PM »
Right you are, Bachus. Why is it so hard to find the Genos file in .xlm format??? Yamaha owns Steinberg and produced the Genos. This makes no sense??!!!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 08:00:13 PM »
You can add instrument files to Cubase as suitably formatted .txt 'patch scripts' by adding them to the relevant Cubase folder.

I don't know if the XML files that you refer to contain more information than patch scripts, but here is how to add a .txt patch script!

There is a Cubase patch file in .txt format on the Genos Downloads page of the Yamaha Support site (in the 'Other Downloads' section).

Download this and extract it from its zip archive.

Then copy the file into the relevant Cubase Roaming AppData folder

In my case the folder path is:

c:\Users\Ian\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase LE AI Elements 10.5_64\Scripts\Patchnames\inactive\yamaha\

Obviously you should substitute your name and Cubase version!

Now start Cubase and open the 'MIDI Device Manager'.   Click 'Install', find the Genos in the 'Add MIDI Device' list that opens, click on it and click OK.

Genos should now appear in the Installed Devices list.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 08:01:31 PM by tyrosaurus »

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 08:08:16 PM »
Thanks, Ian. I wondered about that because I did open the script file folder and it contains all.txt files and yet when you try to import the .txt file downloaded From Jorgen's page, it's a text file but not recognized by Cubase. Very confusing!! The MIDI Device Manager it only wants to see .xml files. Weird.

Cubase is a wonderful program but it also strays WAY outside conventional GUIs. Many have commented it's not for the average person but more for the engineers.

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 08:30:59 PM »
Hi Ian,

I have my Cubase installed on an SSD. Its path that matches yours is D:\Cubase\Scripts\patchnames\inactive\yamaha

I downloaded the file from Yamaha and added it to the above path. It doesn't show up in my MIDI Device Manager. Any ideas?

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 08:35:44 PM »
I just read that Cubase must be installed in the C drive, which is also an SSD drive. Can I just copy it over from my D to C drive? I suspect this is my problem.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 09:18:50 PM »
Copying a Cubase from D to C disc is not a good process. Cubase won't work.
I think it will be enough to copy the Patch List to
C: \ Users \ <username> \ AppData \ Roaming \ Steinberg \ Cubase_ver \ Scripts \ Patchnames \ inactive \ yamaha

Watch the video.
https://youtu.be/Ry5e4zXg73o?t=101
Watch my video channel

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 09:30:11 PM »
Thanks, ckobu. I decided to try it and it worked fine. If I had moved Cubase from my C to D drive, then it probably wouldn't work. I got the script file to work. I had it stored in the wrong directory. There are two. One is in the program itself and the other under the AppData\Roaming stuff. Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 10:15:55 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline panos

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 10:11:51 PM »
Sorry for popping in, but why isn't any "how and where!!! to install" text along with this patch?

If it was something downloadable from a..... non "authorized" site, a simple text with instructions would be included.

If I gave you a little screw that is missing from the brakes of your car in order to work, would you know where to install it?

Same thing.pif....  :-\

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 10:21:11 PM »
Excellent point, Panos. I recently completed a survey from Steinberg about their documentation. My comments were that in general, they present very good information but to an expert audience only. They need to re-asses their client base, which also consists of novice and intermediate users. These clients are virtually ignored. I am a technical writer and technical writing instructor at the college level. I can tell you that a lot of sales are lost due to poor documentation.

When Steinberg only writes to an expert audience, they are basically telling the rest of us, "We don't want your money." That my friend is corporate suicide.