Author Topic: Has a board been Removed?  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Normanfernandez

Has a board been Removed?
« on: March 22, 2020, 07:33:52 AM »
Has the miscellaneous and just for fun board been Removed??

Online Roger Brenizer

Re: Has a board been Removed?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 08:02:22 AM »
Yes!
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: ibrox2

Offline alanclare

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 09:04:57 AM »
Are we allowed to ask, “Why?”

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 11:04:17 AM »
Are we allowed to ask, “Why?”

Roger may now reply by saying "Yes".    ;)

John

Online Toril S

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 12:19:47 PM »
What????? Why?? A great board, where we can discuss things that do not fit in other boards! I am wondering what is the reason for this?
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 12:26:04 PM »
Looks like we are now only open for Keyboard business once again.  ;)

You have Facebook for the miscellaneous stuff and there is plenty of it on that thing for sure. ;D

Offline alanclare

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 12:39:29 PM »
Drake

You might have Facebook. I’m not a subscriber to any of these social media purveyors of gossip and false information, and I found some of the posts on the miscellaneous board both interesting and an occasional insight into how “the other half” lives. So its removal restores the site as “only open for Keyboard business once again.”
You weren’t forced to read it.

Alan

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 01:02:38 PM »
I can't see any point to this but maybe the title could have been altered to General Discussions as members were starting to explain there situations to the corvid virus which really isn't a fun thing.
I think all forums need a thread that allows people to communicate there positions and share with others.
  If all we have are people complaining about how there keyboards should do more and have more on them writing pages and pages on this then there won't be much to come on here for. A very sad discussion.
  I do think we need a proper  answer though not just Yes.

The following users thanked this post: wersianer

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 01:18:45 PM »
That section of the forum wasn't always a part of the forum (fairly new) and as I recall it was for humorous things to be posted like jokes and youtube links. I am sure it was never intended as a section for posting a "discussion" topic.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 01:22:32 PM by DrakeM »

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 03:26:39 PM »
Hi

Please read the fist few paragraphs at https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,40714.0.html

There are plenty of places to discuss anything else you like to discuss, e.g. corona, Trump, islam  ;)

Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2020, 03:44:06 PM »
You might have Facebook. I’m not a subscriber to any of these social media purveyors of gossip and false information, and I found some of the posts on the miscellaneous board both interesting and an occasional insight into how “the other half” lives. So its removal restores the site as “only open for Keyboard business once again.”
You weren’t forced to read it.

The reason you’re not a subscriber to social media purveyors is the reason the board was removed.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline 3dc

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2020, 04:21:17 PM »
If I may...

1. Forums are notoriously difficult to populate with active and valuable members and many successful forum owners make only small improvements or changes to their communities. The last thing they want to do is to disturb their members. Any big community change is usually made with prior announcement to members and discussion first.

2. The community forum serves the people not the other way around. The more options people have to exchange any kind of opinions with fellow members on topic and off topic the more likely they will remain on the platform. People care about people they know so the key to success is to keep members on this platform not on any other platform.

3. Non formal section of any successful forums builds even more community loyalty. You also build long lasting friendships in that sections as you get to know people outside their profession or forum purpose.   

I've seen many successful forums fail because they put rules and status before their users.

My two cents anyway...
Yamaha PSR-E463

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2020, 04:52:05 PM »
I think it’s the other way around, 3dc. Unmoderated, off-topic, shrill posts are more likely to drive people away than attract them.

There’s lots of social media around. This is a forum for Yamaha keyboard users to discuss Yamaha keyboard topics.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2020, 04:53:47 PM »
I've seen many successful forums fail because they put rules and status before their users.

Hi

I have seen many, many successful forums fail because they had NO rules...

This forum is my favorite forum. Why?
There are
- no games
- no jokes
- no funny videos - not always that funny
- no discussions about religion
- no discussions about politics
- no discussions about corona

Just music related discussions! There are plenty of places for discussions of everything else; and for getting "social"...

I would urge the moderators to maintain that the forum remains purely music-oriented; and don't get "muddy" with all sorts of other topics.
In that case, it will no longer be my favorite forum.

Just MY 2 cents.

Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

Offline alanclare

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2020, 05:12:48 PM »

“Unmoderated, off-topic, shrill posts are more likely to drive people away than attract them.”?

When was that? I must have missed it. Either that or I saw it, gave a wry smile, and moved on. Can we just remind ourselves that we are discussing, at unnecessary length, one board in a forum of lots of boards. Whatever happened to “Live and let live”?

And that’s my twopenceworth.

Alan

Offline 3dc

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2020, 05:15:13 PM »
I think it’s the other way around, 3dc. Unmoderated, off-topic, shrill posts are more likely to drive people away than attract them.

There’s lots of social media around. This is a forum for Yamaha keyboard users to discuss Yamaha keyboard topics.

Cheers,
Fred

Its implied that any off topic posts follows rigorously the main community guidelines in dedicated forum sections. That said the "Off topic forum section" is usually intended to relax, get to know fellow members, build members loyalty and chat about whats on your mind besides main forum purpose. I sincerely doubt this forum would be overwhelmed by this small section since the rest of forums is focused on PSR Tutorials and music. 

But don't mind me. In my country we like to say: "Its your sandbox. Kids play in it only until its fun, friendly and interesting." Mine is only a friendly advice. You can completely ignore it if you don't like it.
Yamaha PSR-E463

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline MBedesem

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2020, 05:16:07 PM »
Jorgen has it correctly.

Forums that tolerate posts that are angry, divisive, off subject, critical of others, etc, etc lose their focus and many of their members.

PSR tutorial's boundaries and the work of the moderators have been essential in preserving the best of forum.

Michael
Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html
Tyros 5

Offline alanclare

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2020, 05:19:21 PM »
“Forums that tolerate posts that are angry, divisive, off subject, critical of others, etc, etc lose their focus and many of their members.”

See my previous.

Alan

Online Roger Brenizer

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2020, 10:50:13 PM »
The board, which was removed, has long been abused with various content.  In many instances it was being used to incite controversy among our members, so Joe and I discussed the purpose of this board and decided to remove it from the forum.

Let me remind everyone that postings related to completely off topic issues, such as politics, religion or culture, do not belong in the PSR Tutorial Forum, no matter in what board they are posted.  The entire "Posting Guidelines" topic can be read at the following link:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,40714.0.html
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Online Toril S

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2020, 11:12:07 PM »
I know this is done with the best of intentions, to avoid controversy and heated off topic discussions. But I wish the board stayed. Will miss it...
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Joe H

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2020, 11:45:12 PM »
Has the miscellaneous and just for fun board been Removed??

While I agree that this forum has gotten rather negative with all the moaning and complaining about Yamaha and latest keyboard models and away from helping each other with 'how to" topics. There has been MANY topics on ALL boards that have served no purpose except for winers and complainers to sound off.

That particular board was available for other topics and used often.  If the last thread was inappropriate, why didn't the Moderators just lock it and offer a comment about it?

To give no explanation demonstrates a lack of respect to active forum members. We are not children and shouldn't be treated as such.

Joe H
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 11:46:13 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline EileenL

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2020, 01:50:40 AM »
What is the point of locking a tread when you can just delete the offending post or posts. This is what most moderators on other forums do and they don't seem to get any trouble.
I feel we are having our knuckles rapped by all these new rules as if we have been naughty.

I think every forum needs a social side to it for those who like to share some of the lighter sides of life
with there fellow members, as well as there keyboard questions a lot of which have more to do with add on's than what the keyboard does.

The following users thanked this post: Gunnar Jonny

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2020, 02:43:42 AM »
What is the point of locking a tread when you can just delete the offending post or posts. This is what most moderators on other forums do and they don't seem to get any trouble.
I feel we are having our knuckles rapped by all these new rules as if we have been naughty.

I think every forum needs a social side to it for those who like to share some of the lighter sides of life
with there fellow members, as well as there keyboard questions a lot of which have more to do with add on's than what the keyboard does.

OK, but then someone has to volunteer to be the moderator, and handle all the whining.

Frankly, I'm happy with however Joe wants to run this forum. He's done a pretty good job so far.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2020, 04:07:44 AM »
Having to listen to the so called TV "news" (actually options) is bad enough. Then seeing it posted here with more options really is not needed nor has anything to do with our keyboards and using them.

Yes, that section was created for "lite" hearted topics but sadly its been hijacked recently for more serious topics and options. Topics getting posted were things we keyboards players can't fix, change or repair. 

However, nothing is stopping someone from setting up a Facebook (or similiar account) that our members could join.   Maybe EileenL wants folks to socialize on her forum. Maybe? I miss the map we had for a very short time which located some of our members. However, not many actually joined that bit of socializing. So, maybe it is just a few people wanting this sort of a forum section and really not the majority anyway. ;)

Offline alanclare

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2020, 07:21:12 AM »
So, maybe it is just a few people wanting this sort of a forum section and really not the majority anyway. ;)
Something else that seems to have passed me by. I hadn’t realised that a survey of the membership had been carried out.

Alan

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2020, 07:30:08 AM »

+1
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 07:32:57 AM by Gunnar Jonny »
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline alanclare

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2020, 07:37:02 AM »
OK, but then someone has to volunteer to be the moderator, and handle all the whining.

Cheers,
Fred

One would have expected a Moderator to have stepped in and moderated the use of such immoderate language. “Whining” - indeed.

Alan

Offline Pino

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2020, 07:43:16 AM »
I’m only here for the 🍺 oops, sorry, the keyboard stuff. 🎹

Pino
SX900 - Ketron SD40 - Maui 5s