Author Topic: help HD not showing up....?  (Read 5228 times)

Offline Dnj

help HD not showing up....?
« on: March 20, 2020, 04:11:30 PM »
I have had the T4 about 2 weeks all is well....
I always had preset,user,HD,USB tabs to choose from on top of display.....

Now  I noticed that the HD tab is no longer visible?.....any ideas
I have never used the HD just weird that its not there any longer unless i did something wrong?
Is there a way to check it somehow?

Janus

Re: help HD not showing up....?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 04:22:53 PM »
Try to remove the HD and place it back
To exclude contact fault
Try also to startup in PC mode and test if you can see the HD on the pc
You can also copy all data to the pc as a backup
When nothing works you can try to format the HD
You will lost all data on the HD

« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 04:39:45 PM by Janus »

Offline Dnj

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 06:01:55 PM »
I have never used the HD it has nothing on it......will  HD
format erase user info also?

Janus

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 06:43:35 PM »
I don't have a Tyros 4
Perhaps a member with a Tyros 4 has the answer

DonM

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 07:47:43 PM »
Any Format will erase User memory, if it is saved to the disk you are formatting.  If it is save to USB, you won't lose it unless you format the USB stick.

Offline Dnj

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 07:57:39 PM »
Ok Don I understand ....just want to know what happened to the HD tab on the display?

Online ckobu

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 08:04:03 PM »
Once the HDD is formatted, it is blank but still has to be seen on the Tyros screen.
Just look at the beginning of the video and check the USB cable (0.20 sec) it is connected to.

https://youtu.be/ffeOJUp--1M?t=17
Watch my video channel

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 01:36:52 AM »
I have had the T4 about 2 weeks all is well....
I always had preset,user,HD,USB tabs to choose from on top of display.....

Now  I noticed that the HD tab is no longer visible?.....any ideas
I have never used the HD just weird that its not there any longer unless i did something wrong?
Is there a way to check it somehow?

Somehow you hd has been disconnected. I would open it up and check the cables.

And how could you have never used the hd? It’s the only drive most use.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 10:45:37 AM »
The HD is Not necessary for Playing MUSIC on a Keyboard also no USB Stick is necessary.
A lot People just play and are happy... :-)

BUT if Someone want to Save individual Things I recommend saving all on One Medium.

Maybe the cable was loose on your hd.
Please Try to Remove it carefully.
Remove 3 Philips Screws on the Caddy.(See Right side under the keyboard the handle.)

After screws are out. Pull the HD Caddy carefully to the Front and NOT up!
If you pull up you loose a small Electronic Part on the Board (L1).

Now you See a White USB cable and the harddisc on the caddy.
You can Test the hd on your PC with a USB mini cable...
But often only cable was loose so put on cable again and Check the Tyros.
Slide the caddy in carefully..

And Play :-)
Greetings Frank
Genos and Tyros /PSR Support in Germany - Europe with more than
280 keyboardscouts helping in D-AT-CH-NL at your home!
Monday 18:30 (6:30 pm german time) Live tips on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBxOTmwqvDGu5QavFWeaQfQ

Offline Dnj

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 05:38:38 PM »
when I pus new audio record buttons I get this message

that said I still do not see the HD tab on top of the display
but I know it was there  a few days ago there was nothing on it but it was there if I needed it?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dnj

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 06:16:18 PM »
Ok as instructed I removed the screws from the HD case shook it a bit and when I tried it the T4 recognized the HD again...
must be a loose HD cable...thank you all so much for the help.....I can now continue to record using the T4..

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 08:32:34 PM »
Great :) I like to see problems solved :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 09:04:42 PM »
Thanks for Info :-)

Sorry I forgot ... for RECORDING Audio you NEED a HD ..for sure!

greetings frank
Genos and Tyros /PSR Support in Germany - Europe with more than
280 keyboardscouts helping in D-AT-CH-NL at your home!
Monday 18:30 (6:30 pm german time) Live tips on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBxOTmwqvDGu5QavFWeaQfQ

Offline Dnj

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2020, 04:15:21 PM »
I forgot to mention when I removed the 3 screws under the kb I could not PULLOUT the tray that holds the HD?...so instead I just tried to shake it around a bit.....what could of been holding it in even though I removed the 3 screws if there something I missed?..

Offline EileenL

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2020, 05:32:02 PM »
It should slide out so that you can see the connection and make sure it is plugged in firmly. They have been known to work lose with a lot of moving around.

Janus

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2020, 05:41:58 PM »
I forgot to mention when I removed the 3 screws under the kb I could not PULLOUT the tray that holds the HD?...so instead I just tried to shake it around a bit.....what could of been holding it in even though I removed the 3 screws if there something I missed?..
Don't shake the drive
There was a warning for that earlier
It has to come straight, let it slide out

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2020, 05:59:32 PM »
The underside of the metal tray ('caddy') that the disk is mounted on has two small 'nubs' at the front.  These protrude just enough so that the caddy is held in place by the keyboard case, even when the screws are removed. 

Once all three screws are removed, you should be able to pull the caddy/disk out if you put your fingers in the indent in the plastic and initially pull with enough force to get the nubs over the case.  It 'clicks' out, and after that the caddy slides out easily the rest of the way, as long as you keep it level!  You can easily feel the click once it releases.  On my T4 the nubs hold the disk firmly in place, but this probably varies from one keyboard to the next, so presumably the amount of force needed to overcome them varies too. Once you have done it the first time, you will be fine in future! 

There is enough slack in the cable to remove the assembly completely from the keyboard, but only by five inches or so.  Internally the cable should be held in place by being looped around part of the case, which should prevent you from pulling it out too far, possibly breaking its connection to the main DM circuit board.

When you replace the assembly, it slides easily into the keyboard case for most of the way as long as you keep it level, then it just needs a final push to re-engage the nubs in the case and secure the unit in place.  In fact, since I remove the disk regularly from my T4 to back it up on my laptop (much faster than USB Storage Mode!), I don't bother replacing the screws because the disk unit is held securely enough by the nubs alone.  However if you gig with the keyboard or are regularly moving it around, it would be best to use the screws!

Even though it your hard disk is now working, I would say that it is definitely worth removing the HD assembly and checking that the cable is pushed fully home in the socket on the disk. There is a cut out in the metal at the back of the caddie for the cable. This reduces the strain on the disk socket and stops the cable from moving around when you slide the assembly back into the case, so make sure that the cable is located in this!

Regards

Ian 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 06:07:37 PM by tyrosaurus »

Offline Dnj

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2020, 03:58:07 PM »
tyrosaurus...........................thanx so much for the answer it all makes sense now with a firm tug I didnt want to break anything....but now I know ....hope I never have to open it again...

also how many or do you suggest a solid state drive replacement in T4?

appreciate the help all

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2020, 06:52:27 PM »
I already have an SSD in my T4.

Note that this doesn't reduce access times, because in the keyboard the performance of the disk (even the original mechanical hard disk) is severely limited by the slow USB interface that is used to connect the disk to the keyboard's main system board!  Realistically though, this performance is still more than adequate for the requirements of the Tyros models. 

The only potential advantages of an SSD in the keyboard are zero disk noise (which was not really an issue for me anyway) and reduced chance of damaging the disk by physical shock if it happens when the keyboard is on.

If you want to back up the disk to a computer, and like me, prefer to remove the disk from the keyboard to do this, then although you are still effectively connecting to the computer via USB, it is faster than using the USB Storage Mode via the keyboard.  If you replace the Yamaha interface board (which is 'bolted' to the actual disk) with a USB3 version, this makes the disk even faster when removed from the keyboard and connected  to a USB3 port on a computer, although it still does not increase performance of the disk in the keyboard.

One thing that you may also want to consider is that the keyboard OS does not know anything about SSD management, so it will not 'Trim' the disk to recover space after deleting files.  Similarly it will not do any wear leveling to maximise the life of the disk.  However these days such functions are typically carried out by the controller built into the SSD on the latest devices, so may not be an issue.

I have had the SSD in my T4 for several years without noticing any problems, but I couldn't really say that it is worth it if you are not regularly moving the keyboard around or gigging with it.

Regards

Ian

Offline Dnj

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2020, 02:21:08 PM »
Ian super information on the SSD thamk you......

In reality if I am doing serious recording I would directly connect my T4 to my PC and use my DAW to record all trax and mix..
The T4 HD is more as a scratch pad for quick records etc...

appreciate the help