Author Topic: MIDI A TO MIDI B  (Read 2946 times)

Offline Luluc

MIDI A TO MIDI B
« on: March 15, 2020, 07:40:04 PM »
Hello all Genosphils !

I have read several times in the forum, we can wire the MIDI A output to the MIDI B input.
- what is the purpose of this wiring ?
- what are the required settings to make it work ?
- is this feature documented somewhere in the Genos manuals ?

Thanks for helping the newbees  :)

Luluc,
Luluc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yamaha Genos - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 - Behringer FCB1010 - AKG K92

Re: MIDI A TO MIDI B
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 08:56:00 PM »
I too have heard of that, Luluc. I don't see any reason, other than, to increase polyphony. That would be better accomplished by having your DAW receive Port 1 (MIDI A) and Port 2 (MIDI B) information from the Genos.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 01:17:07 AM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Bachus

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 07:46:47 AM »
I too have heard of that, Luluc. I don't see any reason, other than, to increase polyphony. That would be better accomplished by having your DAW receive Port 1 (MIDI A) and Port 2 (MIDI B) information from the Genos.

Its not about polyphony... Genos is 128 voice polyphonic, and another 128 voices for user samples.. each voice can if programmed that way use all polyphony..of those 128 voices

Its about layering extra sounds to your r1,r2,r3 and l1... sinds in most situations you don,t use the sequencer..

Instead of just connecting them directly, it works better when using an ipad or pc to do that routing..
As that ipad or pc can send midi program and banck changes, andeven sys ex information for changing and selecting voices... this is for example what the V_console does..

So its not about polyphony, but more about multitmbrallity (having more). Voices to play with..

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 09:01:58 AM »
You can route the midi cable back in to midi A or B. Depending on how you set up the midi templates, it is possible to have extra voices playing live using the song, style or extra part channels. That is relatively easy. The difficult part is to develop a user friendly way of being able to select the voices you want for those channels, giving them the edits required, and in particular getting the octave set if you want to set it differently from the channel that is sourcing the midi data (r1, 2,3 or left). I spent some time on this a year or so ago to check feasibility and although it can be done to a limited extent as an interesting project, found setting and saving the extra setups so cumbersome I opted for VConsole as the user friendly option (with some reservations about robustness of the software the way I use it)  :)

John

Janus

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 10:15:42 AM »
I use xgworks
It got 128 midi tracks and 4 audio tracks
It had also a synct videoplayer, mpr3 player
Send 16 midi tracks to midi, 16 midi tracks to midi B
And you can also use more midi keyboards and midi modulles
Enough for a whole orkeststa

Offline Luluc

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 10:43:08 AM »
OK, I summarize all the inputs :

This MIDI A to MIDI B wiring enables to get more extra voices capabilities for the song, the style and for R1,R2,R3 and left parts.
It can be done via a PC, via the VConsole, or via XGWorks.

But in practice, I have no idea how to proceed, even to do some trials with a PC. If somebody has some step to step procedure, it would be fine for many users to experiment this feature.
Luluc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Janus

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 11:23:44 AM »

This MIDI A to MIDI B wiring enables to get more extra voices capabilities for the song, the style and for R1,R2,R3 and left parts.

But in practice, I have no idea how to proceed, even to do some trials with a PC. If somebody has some step to step procedure, it would be fine for many users to experiment this feature.
Use the yamaha midi cable to the Pc
Install the driver for the yamaha midi cable
Now you got 3 drivers for use in a pc sequencer
Midi a 16 channels out
Midi b 16 channels out
And midi in 16 channels
You can add more midi interfaces to expand to more midi channels

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 11:40:02 AM »
Luluc, a previous thread on using the song channels is here if you want to experiment directly on Genos /Tyros.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,46810.msg367714.html#msg367714

John

Offline Bill

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 12:31:06 PM »

But in practice, I have no idea how to proceed, even to do some trials with a PC. If somebody has some step to step procedure, it would be fine for many users to experiment with this feature.

Hi Luluc

I would not allow the limited responses to colour your understanding of MIDI.  Yes, it would allow you to get more voices, but there are hundreds more possibilities. I would suggest that you do a Google Search for MIDI Manuals or MIDI Implementation or download the Yamaha MIDI Manual so you can get a basic understanding.

Bill
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 12:33:53 PM by Bill »
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline Luluc

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 06:02:33 PM »
wow !

Thanks all. Full of perspective work in the next days/weeks. :)
Luluc