Author Topic: One Song Per Bank Registrations  (Read 3861 times)

musicalmemoriesuk

One Song Per Bank Registrations
« on: March 15, 2020, 12:30:35 PM »
Reposting this from another forum thought it might be of use.

Hello All, So one song per registration bank. I do this so that I can get to my songs quick. They are prefaced with the page number in my books which I have made up for myself.
Now, the mathematics of the Tyros. According to Den.
You have 8 registration buttons and 4 OTS buttons, OK?
You have voices R1, R2 & R3.
You have a freeze button.
You select a style, Vocal waltz. Press Freeze.
Let’s start with the OTS, You can have R1 alone, R2 alone and R3 alone. On OTS button 1.
Continue, R1+R2, R1+R3 and R2+R3 then R1+R2+R3.
You now have 7 variations on just ONE OTS button.
Similar on the other 3 buttons and now you have 4 * 7 = 28 variations.
Now come down to the registration buttons, 1 to 8. The same sequence applies; 8 * 7 = 56. So for your Vocal Waltz you have a possibility of 84 variations, ensuring the freeze button is on.
So, to add excitement to the pot there are quite a few waltz styles that you can set (register) the same tempo. Put these waltz styles onto buttons 2 to 8 and you are climbing into 672 variations just for the waltz at 90 BPM! WOW!!!
Save this bank, you have done a lot of work to get this far.
Next reg bank can have the same treatment using a foxtrot style.
Up to now you have only TWO banks, one as waltzes and one as foxtrots.
My 250 Gb hard drive will accommodate a lot more banks than that.
Just to be pedantic, you can name the songs in the registration block
(Button J)
Now just to make your itchy fingers sticky, you can vary the volume of any of the voices on the fly using the sliders. Lucky they are in a position where you can see what is happening and not stuck somewhere on the side as an afterthought.
Having digested that lot then you can get stuck into the DSP and Variations; but that will take weeks of work to wander through that lot.

Offline Al Ram

Re: One Song Per Bank Registrations
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 07:03:40 PM »
Well . . . i think i all depends on the method you choose.  For example . .  ..I save my registrations just the opposite way

Instead of one song per bank . . .  i save one bank per song . . .

This way i do not worry about those numbers and combinations.  Everything i want tempo, key, style, OTS (altough i do not use OTS), R1,2,3,4, keyboard split, variations, VH, multipads, etc.  Everything is stored and I just need to recall the registration and voila. 

For my pdf's i use Songbook+ linked to the keyboard so I can load my registrations and related pdf in a fraction of a second.

thanks

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

musicalmemoriesuk

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 08:50:58 PM »
Reading into the first part on the OTS it would make for a lot of button pushing selecting ots then selecting combinations of right 1,2 and three. Better option is to assign different combinations to ots or registration buttons.

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 09:18:18 PM »
There’s still a lot of button pushing with your method. I use registrations so I don’t have to press any buttons. Much more efficient. Thus I have one song per bank.

Also, with respect to terminology, it’s a lot clearer to talk about registration buttons or registration banks. A button or a bank, that’s the choice.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Hammond Yamaha

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 10:16:45 PM »
I set mine up;
One registration bank. 8 songs.  Note the bank number and song number on the song sheet.  And I am on a roll.

musicalmemoriesuk

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 12:13:08 AM »
With the one registration bank 8 songs method is a different style assigned to each button ?

Am I correct in thinking the bank is for a particular type of music?

blackpool

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 04:42:49 PM »
I prefer one bank per song. ....why make things difficult ? 
I use button one for my intro and the last for my chosen ending using the others in between as required 
I find it easier in my regbank listings to title each bank with the individual song name
I also maybe copy a bank and edit to use with another song title which maybe fits the same style

We all have different methods .... i always take the easiest option i can find.

Keith   
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 04:45:51 PM by blackpool »

The following users thanked this post: wersianer

Hammond Yamaha

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 01:33:49 AM »
Musicalmemoriesuk
Registration 1 file for instance will contain 8 sub folders with 8 different song setup folders. Yes, each of the sub folders has different styles etc to play 8 different songs.
Folder 1. Imagine
Folder 2. Time is tight
Folder3.  The wind beneath my wings

I find this very convenient.
Frank

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 02:34:06 AM »
Musicalmemoriesuk
Registration 1 file for instance will contain 8 sub folders with 8 different song setup folders. Yes, each of the sub folders has different styles etc to play 8 different songs.
Folder 1. Imagine
Folder 2. Time is tight
Folder3.  The wind beneath my wings

I find this very convenient.

Frank,

A "folder" is a collection of files. Don’t use this term when referring to registrations, because it’s confusing. With registrations, you’re talking about buttons or banks, but not folders.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 07:54:11 AM »
To clear things up:
- a registration is one of the 8 buttons (on a T5, that is)
- a bank is when you save those 8 buttons to a file in user memory, harddisk, USB etc.
- a folder (in user, HDD or USB) can contain multiple banks

I've always used a dedicated bank per song, combined with bank selection done on an iPad linked via USB:
- I select the song in SongBook+ and the correct bank and registration get selected
- within a song, you usually have the need for multiple instrument and/or style variations. These are stored in the registrations and 8 per song should normally suffice.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

Offline ton37

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 05:41:42 PM »
I also use 1 song per registration BANK( = 5-8 reg.mems). I've saved this BAnk as Perfidia. As an example this piece of music (See below: Perfidia-sheet), werein I use all 8 reg.buttons. On the sheet music I put some notations on f.e.: R1, R2 etc. means BUTTON Registration 1, Registration 2 etc.  Each registration MEMORY contains the volume, effects, which style, which multipath etc. etc. There are quite a few chord changes in this piece of music. Furthermore, I wanted to turn on / off different Multipads and and the MPbuttons. In any case, I am unable to do that while playing.
In addition, I can only play if I see the sheet music, not by heart/ear!. So it's easier for me to see both the notes, chords and registrations on the screen. This works fine for me, but it will not be the same for everyone. I only use the sheet music digitally with the help of Mobilesheet and you can easily add the notifications/remarks.

Just my 2 cents … ;)

(PS, if you want to get an idea of how it ultimately sounds,pls. go to https://soundcloud.com/myguitarsong/perfidia )

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 07:47:14 AM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Hammond Yamaha

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 09:32:16 PM »
Fred
Thank you for the correction Folders/registration bank etc.
You are all so helpful on here.
I am going to try and set up a single song per registration to play around with it.
It seems like a great idea with a complicated song whereby there are so many changes throughout.

And again, thank you

Frank.

Hammond Yamaha

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2020, 02:36:06 AM »
Well tonight, I set up one song in one folder with 4 registrations to give it a try.
I set up Booker T and the MG's song "TIME IS TIGHT.'
This set up is great as it frees your hands from moving all over the panel to make selections of instruments etc. as you play.
I did set up a Christmas Carol Medley last year in this manner.
Looks as though I will be using this method a little more often.

This forum is a great learning tool.

Thank you everyone for your most appreciated info.

Frank

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 03:22:04 AM »
Well tonight, I set up one song in one folder with 4 registrations to give it a try.
I set up Booker T and the MG's song "TIME IS TIGHT.'
This set up is great as it frees your hands from moving all over the panel to make selections of instruments etc. as you play.
I did set up a Christmas Carol Medley last year in this manner.
Looks as though I will be using this method a little more often.

This forum is a great learning tool.

Thank you everyone for your most appreciated info

Good to hear. Glad it’s working out. And, remember, you set up one song in a bank.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ