Author Topic: Start midi recording manually  (Read 2197 times)

Offline MusicMan

Start midi recording manually
« on: March 15, 2020, 09:41:32 AM »
Hi

When midi recording is enabled (REC flashing), midi recording, is started automatically by pressing Play/Pause or by pressing a Genos keyboard key or multipad. I want to start midi recording only when I press the Play/Pause. but I don't want to start midi recording when I press a Genos keyboard key or multipad. It seems like this is not possible.

I want to be able to jam with styles and try various multipad combinations on the fly and when something sound good, I want to record it as midi while everything is playing. The problem is that enabling midi record stops Style and Multipad playback so I lose the multipad combinations.

Is there a way to start midi recording only when I press the Play/Pause?

Thank You

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 11:37:44 PM by MusicMan »

Offline panos

Re: Start midi recording manual
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 11:00:14 AM »
Hi MusicMan,
to avoid to loose your combinations, you should have an empty registration loaded.
You can save the combinations there and then you can start your recording without losing any style,voices,multipad,tempo etc.

In order the style starts playing when you press a chord, save the auto start button lited also in the reg along with the style part.
In order the multipad starts when the style starts, the multipad light must be lited when you save the reg.

Have the appropriate "ticks" on your empty reg so it knows what it should save and what it should not.

After you finish save the reg with another name so to keep your original empty reg always ready to use it.

That method works for me at least when fooling around with combinations of "stuff". :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 11:07:32 AM by panos »

The following users thanked this post: MusicMan

Offline MusicMan

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 05:54:05 PM »
Hi MusicMan,
to avoid to loose your combinations, you should have an empty registration loaded.
You can save the combinations there and then you can start your recording without losing any style,voices,multipad,tempo etc.

In order the style starts playing when you press a chord, save the auto start button lited also in the reg along with the style part.
In order the multipad starts when the style starts, the multipad light must be lited when you save the reg.

Have the appropriate "ticks" on your empty reg so it knows what it should save and what it should not.

After you finish save the reg with another name so to keep your original empty reg always ready to use it.

That method works for me at least when fooling around with combinations of "stuff". :)

Thank You..

I should have been more specific about how I want experiment with multipads. I want start a style and then play a channel from a multipad and then while it's playing load a different multipad and then play a channel the new multipad so that I can hear channels from multiple multipads. That's what I meant by wanting to record , multipad combinations,then manually start the midi recording only after I have an interesting combination.

So I don't there is a way to do that except by starting the midi recording before I begin experimenting and then starting a style playback and load various multipads, thus recording all my mistakes and experiments and then editing out what I don't want later.

I was hoping for a way to start the midi recording only after I have an interesting combination of a style and multiple multipad channels combination, but there doesn't seem to be a way to start the midi recorder while a style is playing because pressing Play/Pause stops the style and multipads. Thus I would lose the combination of channels from multiple multipads.

And the only way to start recording is the press Play/Pause before starting a style or by enabling record and pressing a key. That fine for recording a style and channels from a single multipad with SYNC START but not for recording channels from multiple multpads that are currently playing.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 06:00:04 PM by MusicMan »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 06:43:21 PM »
If I understand you correctly... I suggest you create custom Multi Pads first using the copy and paste feature. Then try using registrations (with Multi Pad Sync-Start memorized into each registration button) to change Multi Pad combinations on-the-fly while recording.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

The following users thanked this post: MusicMan

Offline MusicMan

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 11:23:31 PM »
If I understand you correctly... I suggest you create custom Multi Pads first using the copy and paste feature. Then try using registrations (with Multi Pad Sync-Start memorized into each registration button) to change Multi Pad combinations on-the-fly while recording.

Joe H

Yeah, Absolutely. That's another way.

I was hoping for a way that is more spontaneous: Like in the scenario, I'm jamming on the Genos and it sound interesting. It would great just start recording midi whenever I want. But not possible on the Genos for what I want to do.

I could use the audio recorder which doesn't interfere with Style or Multipad playback.

Thank You
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 11:44:16 PM by MusicMan »