Author Topic: sx900 parts select  (Read 3861 times)

Offline anon125

sx900 parts select
« on: March 13, 2020, 06:45:37 PM »
i don't have the keyboard yet.
this is what puzzles me.
i thought the top row was for which voice or voices you want to hear
and the bottom row was which ones to turn on.
but i have seen strawberry ltd sx900 videos where only the far right button is on and NOT the button underneath it.
please explain
thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline EileenL

Re: sx900 parts select
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 06:58:34 PM »
That's correct. Top line for voice select and bottom line for which one or all three you want to sound.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 07:07:28 PM »
Yes, EileenL is right.
But because you don't have keyboard yet, a clarification perhaps. Imagine top and bottom row as independent: On top row, button is lit where you made your last voice selection (say, for R3), but that voice is not necessary active at the moment (in case button below is not lit). To turn that voice on, you need to press desired button in bottom row (doesn't matter if button above is lit or not).
Sounds complicated, but is logical when you try that in person.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline panos

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 07:27:43 PM »
Hi Anon,
You are always hearing the bottom line.
So if the bottom line buttons R1+R2 are lit, you can hear the R1+R2 voices when you press a key.

But let's say you don't like R1 voice and you want to change it with another voice,
Then you press the R1 upper button to show the options on the screen for selecting the new R1 voice.

After we find a combination of voices that we like we can save them using either the OTS buttons,either the Registration buttons.
We usually do this because while performing a song it is a lot esier to use just the first row of buttons above the keybed that any other button of the keyboard or to hit screen options etc.

Offline anon125

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 12:41:15 AM »
thanks all, i am nearly clear.
they use the registrations (that is what they sell)
so the pic i sent would still play a sound?
because it is in the registration?
thanks

Offline panos

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 01:05:29 AM »
Ok,I found a video about that.
It is for a tyros but works the same way for all models.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6izc3cVy2E

So as long we can find some sound combinations and want to keep them and not to have  to search for the same combinations everytime,we can save them in Registration buttons.

Then we press e.g. Registration button no 1 and there is the combination of voices we saved  a year ago with their effects as we wanted them.

Offline anon125

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 03:35:33 AM »
they have three  sets of videos for sx900.
Sounds Of The Seventies (PSR-SX900)
Easy Keyboard Bumper Book (PSR-SX900)
Instrumental Blockbusters (PSR-SX900)
thanks

Offline panos

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 08:37:51 AM »
So they used the voice part buttons of the SX900 to find appropriate voice combinations of it for specific songs.
They also used the style part buttons to find appropriate preset style parts and probably preset multipads to match with those songs.
They saved all of these in registrations and they sell it.

You can see on that videos that when they push the next registration button, the style parts and the voices are changing automatically.
That is the meaning of registrations on Yamaha keyboards.

You can also buy a book with the sheet music from them for these songs.

First try your keyboard to see how you are doing and if you are able and have the time to make your own registrations without paying and then you can decide if you want to buy some registrations or new styles or new voices.

You can also download for free a bonus "playlist" from Yamaha which have registrations for some popular songs.

Offline anon125

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 04:54:11 PM »
 "next registration button, the style parts and the voices are changing automatically."
so the style is selected and set in the registration?
thanks

Offline panos

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 05:54:14 PM »
That's right.
You can see in covers on Youtube that we are doing this with any Psr S,Tyros,Genos.
Just watch the lights of the keyboard's buttons that are changing while we press a registration button.

Offline anon125

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 07:25:49 PM »
thanks
links to the covers on Youtube that we are doing this with any Psr S,Tyros,Genos.?

Offline panos

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 08:01:15 PM »
Tyros 5 (The registration buttons are to the right))
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuFg1YXcPv4

Tyros 5
Here he is changing the registration buttons with a foot pedal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4nDWHMnhEc

Genos(The registration buttons are closer to the center.More convenient to use them with both hands)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyA_0UkGDCI

PSR S970
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD3UVdBXR8Y

PSR SX900
he is changing the registration buttons with a foot pedal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI5FxNAi1xA

rcpilot

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2020, 12:49:36 AM »
anon125, ALSO, you can use a foot switch to change registrations sequence based on a sequence you program so the registrations change without having to push the individual switches. (You can also assign one of the assignable buttons under the screen to go through the registration sequence, but then you have to push that button each time you want to go to next programmed registration in the seq.)....the idea is to setup all the regs you want for a complex song, then step through as you play all the sections of the song, very nice. Frees your hands up if you use the foot switch.

As to the switches for turning on/off each kbd part L, R1, R2, R3....those will typically be setup by a registration, AND one or more will be set to on, you can while playing turn on or off each as you want...as example you might start with L and R1 and R2....then in the next part of song reach up push R3 to add, let's say a solo Violin. OR all that can be done with registrations as they are the king of using the keyboard efficiently.
Lee

Offline anon125

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2020, 07:40:43 PM »
thanks everyone for your great help

Offline mikf

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2020, 08:14:22 PM »
You don't have to own a keyboard to ask questions here, and I know that sometimes we can help buying decisions. He is very polite, but but I still find something a bit odd about anon asking all these detailed questions.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2020, 08:36:39 PM »
You don't have to own a keyboard... but I still find something a bit odd about... detailed questions.

You sure did hear about playing "air guitar", right? It's the same thing... called playing "air keyboard"  ;D

Sorry, just couldn't resist  :)
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline mikf

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2020, 08:50:35 PM »
Bogdan - I think you have it spot on. He is dreaming so much about having this keyboard it has become almost real.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2020, 09:42:14 PM »
I take the R3 button and air play it a little on my S975😀😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Joe H

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2020, 11:03:19 PM »
... He is very polite, but but I still find something a bit odd about anon asking all these detailed questions.

97 and counting!

::)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html