Author Topic: Speakers seem to have a left balance bias  (Read 2569 times)

jblyth

Speakers seem to have a left balance bias
« on: March 12, 2020, 05:04:29 AM »
I have always noticed a slight left sided audio bias when using my standard Yamaha speakers. This is not apparent when using headphones, so I think we can rule my hearing out for the moment ;-)

Is there some overall speaker balance control that I can use to adjust the speaker's balance? I have looked everywhere I can think off, but haven't found a solution as yet. I have tried swapping the speakers from side to side, but this makes no difference.

Many thanks
John in Sunny Carnarvon - Western Australia

Offline mikf

Re: Speakers seem to have a left balance bias
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 05:31:44 AM »
When you say that you swapped the speakers, do you mean you connected them to opposite channels or that you just physically moved the speaker connected to the left channel to the right side and the speaker connected to the R channel to the left side?
If not then try that. if the balance doesn't shift with the speaker, then it is your hearing.
Mike

jblyth

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 09:05:29 AM »
Thanks Mike,

Yes I physically swapped the speakers over. You could be right with the hearing though, although as I said, the left biased balance doesn't appear when using headphones.

Cheers
John

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 01:51:36 PM »
Possibly the room? Is one speaker closer to the corner of the room than the other which may focus/bounce the sound coming from the speaker differently than the speaker which has more space around it. Also if the speakers have a bass port opening on its backside and it is in a position in the room where the sound is reflected differently the volume may seem less balanced.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 03:34:04 PM »
I believe you John!

I was also convinced that my T5 satellite speakers were biased to the left. I made a similar post to yours. But I never got to the bottom of it.

I do not have the same issue with my Genos satellite speakers, even though they are in the exact same physical place as the T5 ones were ... that's why I think it's a hardware issue and not a hearing issue.
Genos

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 04:32:11 PM »
If the speakers remain plugged in to the same channels but are moved around and sound appears less from one position, it eliminates the keyboard or the speaker as the source. It has to be either environmental ( room, furniture, etc) or your hearing. Headphones will remove the environmental issues, so that makes the environment the most likely cause.
Mike

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 04:34:51 PM »
Have you checked the mixing console to see if these left hand voices are panned more to the right.