Author Topic: Loading a searched Playlist style  (Read 3105 times)

Kauaiguy

Loading a searched Playlist style
« on: March 11, 2020, 11:46:54 PM »
OK Ladies and Gents!

Here's one that's gotten me stumped.

When I hit the Playlist button, instead of scrolling and scrolling, and scrolling to the "n's" (as an example) ..
I press the search button.

I type in "Never" to do a search.  Several items comes up.
In there I find the song that I want to play ie:  Never on Sunday.

NOW ... How do I load it from there without having to go back to the playlist and scrolling 900 times just to get down to the n's and find the song and load it from there?

What it shows me is a Register for Never on Sunday, and I can press on it until next Sunday (a pun) and nothing loads.

The only option it gives me are:  Select all, Add to playlist and Cancel.  There should at least be an option to let me know the style that it uses.  Must be an easier way!

Salamat, Muchas Gracias, Mahalo, Thank you and Danke schoen
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 11:50:11 PM by Kauaiguy »

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Loading a searched Playlist style
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 01:52:04 AM »
Here's one that's gotten me stumped.

When I hit the Playlist button, instead of scrolling and scrolling, and scrolling to the "n's" (as an example) ..
I press the search button.

I type in "Never" to do a search.  Several items comes up.
In there I find the song that I want to play ie:  Never on Sunday.

NOW ... How do I load it from there without having to go back to the playlist and scrolling 900 times just to get down to the n's and find the song and load it from there?

What it shows me is a Register for Never on Sunday, and I can press on it until next Sunday (a pun) and nothing loads.

The only option it gives me are:  Select all, Add to playlist and Cancel.  There should at least be an option to let me know the style that it uses.  Must be an easier way!

There is no "Search for Playlist" function.

The Search on the Playlist screen is to search for a registration which you want to add to your Playlist. That's why it's under "Add Record".

If you want to search for a registration you want to load, then don't use the Playlist screen. Use the Registration screen. There, after you search, you can load the registration.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Kauaiguy

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 02:19:18 AM »
Thanks Fred.

It still doesn't make sense to be able to press the Playlist button, find a song you like using the arrows on the screen or the wheel, load and play your song from there.

But yet, you're not able to use the search button on the same playlist screen to find your song, load it from there and play it. ???

I think it would have been simple enough for Yamaha to have implemented it.  They could still leave the function of being able to select songs and add to the playlist.  Which by-the-way confuses me!

If the song is already in this Playlist, what playlist do you add it too?  The User Playlist?

Maybe they're not into Multi-tasking?  LOL! 

« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 02:32:11 AM by Kauaiguy »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 02:43:28 AM »
It still doesn't make sense to be able to press the Playlist button, find a song you like using the arrows on the screen or the wheel, load and play your song from there.

But yet, you're not able to use the search button on the same playlist screen to find your song, load it from there and play it. ???

I think it would have been simple enough for Yamaha to have implemented it.  They could still leave the function of being able to select songs and add to the playlist.  Which by-the-way confuses me!

If the song is already in this Playlist, what playlist do you add it too?  The User Playlist?

Maybe they're not into Multi-tasking?  LOL!

Sorry, "why" questions we can’t answer. You need to direct those to Yamaha. We answer "what" and "how" questions.

Regarding which playlist it’s added to, it’s added to the currently loaded one. If that playlist is named "User", that’s the one it will be added to. There’s no other "User" playlist.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Pino

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 04:34:59 AM »
Fred is correct

The playlist holds no information other than a link back to your registration folder
So
Why not make a search in your registration folder.

I have many playlists, BigBand, Bossa's, Ballads, Dancing etc, and by Tempo 50ish - 70ish - 90ish -120ish etc. And for Gigging, GigList 1 - GigList 2 etc. Many options at a press of a button I may have the same song registration in many playlists.

But, I have to save the registrations to the playlist first or it does not show on the list.

Pino
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 04:44:45 AM by Pino »

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Kauaiguy

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 06:14:44 AM »
Thanks Guys;

I understand that the Song Titles (filenames) in the Playlist (when you press the Playlist button) are nothing more than
a link (in computer terms "Shortcuts") to the Registers which are your actual style files.

As programmers, the people at Yamaha who put this thing together just fell a little short in my opinion.

Nothing to apologize for Fred, but as Expert Keyboard users, you folks are invaluable to us novices as you've learned how to get around these minor annoyances.  Thanks Again

blackpool

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 06:04:38 PM »
Yes - ironically a topic i started yesterday on another forum

Playlist is simply a 'list' and gleans its info from regis.

Ironically i search song titles ( or partial ones for better results ) in both reg. screen and style screens. ( as often time imported style files might carry song titles and vis/vis )
I would also add genre/style titles when naming files to find them easier later ... and for the purpose of seeing when and if a style might come is handy for another song ( again vis/vis with regis )

I do like the search facility on Genos/SX .... GREAT  would be good to 'toggle' from reg to style with one button .... but i cant have everything ....lol

Keith
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 06:37:21 PM by blackpool »

rcpilot

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 01:15:48 AM »
Yamaha should support the search for playlists function, maybe in a future release of the OS.
It would be very handy for most of us......Is there a site, e-mail or whatever where we can OFFICIALLY ask for new function or report a bug?
I'm in USA
Many years ago there was a Steve somebody that we could contact?
Thanks,
Lee

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 03:08:58 AM »
Yamaha should support the search for playlists function, maybe in a future release of the OS.
It would be very handy for most of us......Is there a site, e-mail or whatever where we can OFFICIALLY ask for new function or report a bug?
I'm in USA
Many years ago there was a Steve somebody that we could contact?
Thanks,
Lee

Steve Deeming is his name.  Last I heard he does visit this forum.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

blackpool

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 09:29:11 PM »
I can see your point FULLY if you have large playlists....but i only use playlist as list to play from. For my personal use, these lists tend to be short genre specific and i have never had the need to use search on playlist .

a far more important point to me personally -

I ALWAYS have to use search on both style and regs. individually ( doing the two ) to make sure i see all my options  and would rather see an integration between these two which i think is essential in any up-date. as some of my imported styles are song named rather than genre and the same applies to imported regis in reverse.

Kauaiguy

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 06:21:01 AM »
It just makes sense that if you do a search in the Playlist and it brings up a registry anyway, why not be able to play it from there instead of going out and searching the registry.  It should be easy enough to create a link from there to the actual style.

But then again, they could charge us another 100 bucks just to include this option!  LOL! ::)

Offline dianatoy

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 03:20:20 PM »
I finally figured this out after lots of experimentation, playing around, etc.  I found using the touch screen is easiest.
1. press the Exit Key until you are back at the main display
2. the top row of the display is current registration - ie. the last registration that you played
3. press that and it brings you to the alphabetical spot where this registration is stored
4. press the search
5. type the keyword you are looking for 'house'
6. when found 'House of the Rising Sun',
7. press to select
8. THEN PRESS THE LIT REGISTRATION 1 (blue) and the style will immediately load (becomes orange)

Hope this helps .... still learning also .... but loving more every day.

Diana Toy

The following users thanked this post: thomas750

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 03:32:09 PM »
I finally figured this out after lots of experimentation, playing around, etc.  I found using the touch screen is easiest.
1. press the Exit Key until you are back at the main display
2. the top row of the display is current registration - ie. the last registration that you played
3. press that and it brings you to the alphabetical spot where this registration is stored
4. press the search
5. type the keyword you are looking for 'house'
6. when found 'House of the Rising Sun',
7. press to select
8. THEN PRESS THE LIT REGISTRATION 1 (blue) and the style will immediately load (becomes orange)

Good to hear you followed this advice that was given to you on March 11:

If you want to search for a registration you want to load, then don't use the Playlist screen. Use the Registration screen. There, after you search, you can load the registration.

Cheers,
Fred

Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

blackpool

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2020, 12:47:14 PM »
And just to re-iterate ..... I might be wrong here, but I find I need to perform a search in both Reg. and style
To ensure I get all the results possible, as some of my styles are song titled and can be very useful.
In fact, I am finding good use now with some more recent 'song styles' to save, re-voice and save as a registration. I have several folders of song based style files and the search function available is now making better use of the available options.