Author Topic: SX900 Mic Jack TRS or TS  (Read 6247 times)

Offline KeyboardEd

SX900 Mic Jack TRS or TS
« on: March 06, 2020, 06:03:03 PM »
My SX900 is on order and should be here next week!

Before it gets here I would like to order the right mic. cable. I'm using a standard SM58 (XLR).

Does anyone know if Yamaha is using a balanced (TRS-tip, ring, sleeve) or unbalanced (TS-tip, sleeve) mic. input on the SX900?

« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 06:07:25 PM by KeyboardEd »

Offline Ingar

Re: SX900 Mic Jack TRS or TS
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 06:28:05 PM »
It is unbalanced jack inn.

Offline KeyboardEd

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 06:47:06 PM »
Thanks Ingar.

I kind of hoped Yamaha might have upgraded the jack on the SX900. To me a balanced line is 'better' or an upgrade.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 08:07:23 PM »
Why? It works fine! But I am no expert. I just plug the cables in and start the party😀😀😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline hans1966

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 08:26:53 PM »
Hi Toril, what KeyboardED refers to, is that the XLR connector is better because you can use a condenser microphone, obviously this configuration will need phantom power available on the keyboard. Summing up the subject, the microphone connector of the SX900 is for dynamic microphones, which only need a jack, for domestic recordings, while the XLR combo can be used to connect dynamic microphones, (for domestic use) and also for condenser (for recording in the studio) for the latter it is required that the keyboard in addition to having the XLR connection (Jack + three holes) have the option of the phantom power button. I hope this helps a little to clarify the differences between a dynamic microphone and a condenser microphone. regards. Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 09:28:06 PM »
The Genos had phantom power option. I do nor know avout the XS800, but boubt it.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline KeyboardEd

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 10:36:28 PM »
Also, to me the most important benefit of a balanced line is it's ability to cancel/reject noise. Arranger/workstation keyboards are basically dedicated computers and computers in general make a lot of electrical noise. With the mic cable so close the chances are higher that the cable will pick up noise on an unbalanced line vs a balanced line.

This can become very technical. I hope we don't go too deep into the why or this will go beyond the scope of an SX900 thread. I'm sure there are threads about balanced v unbalanced lines.

And besides, for the application most of us are using these boards for, it's not a make or break deal.

I'm just happy to have a new SX900 on the way!!  ...and know which cable to buy
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 10:41:02 PM by KeyboardEd »

rcpilot

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 10:41:03 PM »
Yes, not too deep..
Remember pros on stage need bal because they use long Mic/audio cables. And they have a lot of equipment typically in the area, including bad power in some cases, lighting systems, BIG amps, mixers etc....
The unBal will be just fine for most of us.
Lee

Offline hans1966

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 02:37:27 AM »
The Genos had phantom power option. I do nor know avout the XS800, but boubt it.

Hello Toril, the SX900 Do Not have Phantom power. Greetings. Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 12:46:10 PM »
Thanks Hans. 😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2020, 08:38:19 PM »
Yes, I have done that.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

kampot

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 07:54:28 PM »
It’s very strange that Yamaha decided to use an unbalanced 1/4” jack when 99% of the mics Psr users have are mics with xlr jacks for  balanced inputs.

kampot

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2021, 08:08:01 PM »
Also is the mic input low impedance ( lo-z ) or line level or high imdepandce hi-z ??
I already have XLR to 1/4 Trs cable but I’m trying to find trs to ts converter cable now.

Offline overover

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2021, 08:45:29 PM »
Hi kampot,

when the Mic/Guitar switch is set to Mic, you will have a LOW input impedance in order to connect a Mic.

When you buy a Mic, usually no cable is included or an XLR-female to XLR-male cable. You then need to buy an additional unbalanced cable "XLR-female to 6.3mm TS plug" in a suitable length. (You can also use this cable in combination with a standard XLR/XLR cable.)

If you have a balanced "XLR-female to 6.3mm TRS plug" cable, you can simply modify it to get an unbalanced cable:

To do this, either bridge the XLR pins 1 and 3 (inside the XLR plug), or bridge the Sleeve and Ring contacts inside the TRS plug.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 08:51:25 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021, 12:26:29 AM »
This image below is a screenshot of the schematic of the S910 'MIC/LINE IN' and is likely typical of most of Yamaha keyboards that have this type of connection. As noted in the schematic the mic used should have an impedance of 150-600 ohms which is typical of most mics that are fitted with an XLR connector. An XLR to 1/4" (6,3mm) TS cable makes the adaptation from 'balanced' to 'unbalanced'. I've seen mention here occasionally of folks that use a LO-Z to HI-Z matching transformer which also takes care of the balanced to unbalanced connection, but having tried both ways, it seems the matching transformer alters the microphone frequency response a bit which may suit some voices, but it didn't do my voice any favors and I prefer not using the matching transformer.
It's always been a mystery to me why Yamaha wasn't clearer in most of the manuals I've looked at as to the input impedance and the proper cable to be used.

Hope everyone is staying well and healthy  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

kampot

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2021, 04:14:49 PM »
Thank you for replies.

Crazy how many hoops one has to jump thru just to get a mic plugged in, all because Yamaha couldn’t put a normal xlr mic input jack

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2021, 06:04:49 PM »
Also is the mic input low impedance ( lo-z ) or line level or high imdepandce hi-z ??
I already have XLR to 1/4 Trs cable but I’m trying to find trs to ts converter cable now.
If you haven't as of yet found a 'converter cable', I would just suggest getting an XLR to 1/4" TS cable. You could add a TRS to TS converter cable, but having more connections in the signal path may result in future problems if one of the connections becomes intermittent. Having less connections is usually more reliable and the cost of a TRS to TS cable would likely be about the same as an XLR to 1/4" TS.

This HOSA cable is reasonably priced and is available in different lengths...
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-PXF-105-XLR3F-Unbalanced-Interconnect/dp/B000068NYM