Author Topic: Renaming Style/Registration relationship  (Read 4200 times)

Offline elad770

Renaming Style/Registration relationship
« on: March 04, 2020, 12:40:33 AM »
Hi Everyone.
I have a quick question.
Let's say i:
Made a new registration
Assigned Style, Multiplepad, voices
Assigned my song progression from Reg1 to Reg10
And everything works perfect.
Then, I decided that I would like to rename the style
What happens is that ALL the data went into making the registration is deleted! The voices remain untouched
Is there a way to simply change the style name
Without losing all my work, programming?

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Renaming Style/Registration relationship
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 03:19:57 AM »
Hi Everyone.
I have a quick question.
Let's say i:
Made a new registration
Assigned Style, Multiplepad, voices
Assigned my song progression from Reg1 to Reg10
And everything works perfect.
Then, I decided that I would like to rename the style
What happens is that ALL the data went into making the registration is deleted! The voices remain untouched

Certainly. In fact, nothing is deleted from the registration. It just can’t find the style (because you renamed it). So,

1. Load the registration
2. Load the style, and set the main or fill you want
3. Memorize the registration

When you’re done all the buttons, save the registration.

If you do this often, you will find it much easier to use Murray Best's Registration Manager program.

Even easier, don’t bother renaming the style.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 06:02:00 AM »

Yes.
If you have to rename the style, rename it before you program the registrations . . .

Thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 01:51:21 PM »
Still, setting up registrations and then having them disappear when you switch styles is not intuitive and is not very user-friendly.

You have a curious take on the issue.

When you change the name of the style, what would you have the registration do? When you change the name of the style, why would you think you don’t have to re-memorize the registration?

And the registration does not "disappear". All you have to do is change the style name back to the original, and the registration will be intact.

Do you want to believe the registration "disappears", or or do you want your problem solved?

Cheers,
Fref
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 02:13:40 PM »
Registrations just don't disappear on any keyboard. If you want to change a style name then load in the bank. Press style and then press the little folder icon at the top of the page and select Re-Name then save this style again. Now press button one on your registration to bring up voices and effects, select the newly named style and press Memory and button one. You now have to do this to all the other buttons you are using in that bank. Always remember to press the button to bring up your sound and effects so that they are all saved back when adding the re-named style. Now save the whole bank.
  Job Done and no lost registrations.

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline GaryZ

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 04:48:46 PM »
From my experience I have exactly the same problem. It wasn’t like that in the Tyros but on the Genos, any tweaks you make to a style using the mixer (voices, volume balances, spatial location, reverb etc) and save the tweaks with your registration are instantly lost if that style file is not found when you load the registration.  Even if you keep the same file name but move it to a new location on your Genos, it looses all the custom tweaks you’ve done in the mixer, even if you do re-link the registration to the style file. The only solution I’ve found is to decide on the final name and location of the style file before you do any tweaking in the mixer.

Using Murray’s registration manager as suggested however does work as an alternative - you have to go in and give it the new name and location of each custom style in each registration button where it occurs, then you’ll be ok.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 05:18:12 PM »
Registrations just don't disappear on any keyboard. If you want to change a style name then load in the bank. Press style and then press the little folder icon at the top of the page and select Re-Name then save this style again. Now press button one on your registration to bring up voices and effects, select the newly named style and press Memory and button one. You now have to do this to all the other buttons you are using in that bank. Always remember to press the button to bring up your sound and effects so that they are all saved back when adding the re-named style. Now save the whole bank.

The fly in the ointment is that you need to know which registration(s) are using the style. Chances are you don't, if you have a lot of them.
Genos

The following users thanked this post: OmbDave

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 05:44:08 PM »
"Is there a way to simply change the style name
Without losing all my work, programming?"
If you have already made a series of registrations with a particular style name it seems a bit of a waste to force yourself into extra work just so you can change the name. However you could leave the name as is in your style list for the existing registration(s) so they continue to work, and duplicate the style in your list with a new name for future use. But don't rename the original because it won't be found!
Do it by going to style creator and SAVE  it with a new name which is maybe similar to the original (say "original2").

John
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 05:45:28 PM by jwyvern »

tyrosman

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 02:40:36 AM »
they can also tag the styles also multi pads also  ;) :)

Offline Dave Nuttall

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 10:16:06 AM »
they can also tag the styles also multi pads also  ;) :)

HOW is a tag created/applied to a style or pad?
Does SEARCH work relative to tags?

TIA.
Dave
Genos, ProTools, Cubase AI10, Win10,  BIAB-2022, Sibelius Ultimate, MixMaster, PRSUTI, StyleMagic, StyleWorks, and Baldwin SF-10 acoustic piano.

tyrosman

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 02:17:20 AM »
use the search button in any page and tag it it will find  all styles multi pads sounds as well this is great when making up Reg banks :)

Offline Dave Nuttall

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 08:11:48 AM »
use the search button in any page and tag it it will find  all styles multi pads sounds as well this is great when making up Reg banks :)

I still don't understand HOW to TAG IT
Genos, ProTools, Cubase AI10, Win10,  BIAB-2022, Sibelius Ultimate, MixMaster, PRSUTI, StyleMagic, StyleWorks, and Baldwin SF-10 acoustic piano.