Author Topic: www.genosmagic.com  (Read 13076 times)

charlie

www.genosmagic.com
« on: March 03, 2020, 07:18:09 PM »
 Hello to you All.
                      Have you seen what can be done with just the Genos & V-Console.
it is amazing, all the sounds are in Genos.

The following users thanked this post: joer, muzicman147

Re: www.genosmagic.com
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 12:02:06 AM »
Charlie, you really need to check out a link before posting it. I opened the said link and there is a text box about cookies stuck in the middle of the Home page. There is no way to get rid of it! The site is completely useless.

I have no idea who the moron was who decided we all need to click that annoying "Yes, I accept your cookies" prompt every time we visit a website but they ought to be pushed off the planet!!!!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 06:04:05 AM »
did you check the website before posting it here ?

it is not working . . . . .  nothing happens when you click on it .

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 06:22:06 AM »
www.genosmagic.com is working great for me, loving what they have so far!
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

The following users thanked this post: Jacob

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 07:48:50 AM »
📝 
genosmagic link redirects to   https://www.tyrosmagic.com/
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline frozzers

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 08:51:03 AM »
Lee

The reason for the cookies notice is linked to the European Union GDPR regulations which came into effect on 25 May 2018.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation

It's almost impossible now to access a website for a company based in the EU without getting the cookies notice. More and more US and global companies are following suit.

I tried the link on my iPhone. In portrait mode, I got the notice which I couldn't get past either. Putting the phone into landscape revealed the OK button.

Cheers

Chris

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 09:19:50 AM »
....It's almost impossible now to access a website for a company based in the EU without getting the cookies notice. More and more US and global companies are following suit.

Ghostery and AdBlockPlus keep the websites clean. Both has free versions for most browsers and works like a charm. 👍
Cheers 🥂
GJ

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 12:29:28 PM »
Thanks for the link, Chris. It still doesn't explain why we have to click that annoying popup notice every time we access a site. It's just another nuisance in computer technology we don't need. If it's so important, just do it! Don't ask me each time I open a website, especially when I have no choice anyway.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 02:10:43 PM »
Charlie, please keep in mind that we aren't ganging up on you or blaming you for the cookies problem ;). We are actually a very fun and helpful group. You were only interested in sharing a valuable Genos resource, for which we are grateful.

Technically, all cookies are programs that get installed on our systems. I use CCleaner to regularly purge my system of cookies. For me, no one has the right to install anything on my computer without my consent.

charlie

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 09:09:40 PM »
Thank you Lee,
                      I had no problems with cookies when I viewed it, some weeks ago
[It had only been out one day].
In Youtube you will find it, hopefully with no problems.
 I also purge my computer every week with CCleaner, very good & no cost.

" V-Console - Genos - The Planets: Jupiter (Holst) - John Beesley"

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

Offline muzicman147

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 03:51:34 PM »
Hi Charlie
Thank you very much for the info, I found this very interesting although a bit expensive at £700.
I will keep an eye on the "V Consel"  in the hope the price drops to a point where I can afford it.
Cheers
Drew
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 04:37:14 PM by muzicman147 »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2020, 11:36:30 AM »
Nothing special about this site . Forget V console. More than Cubase 10. Rip off
Not impressed with the registrations
You can make registrations just as good yourself.
If i was a Dragon, I would say " Im out"!!"I am not investing in that"

John :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 11:39:37 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline EileenL

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2020, 02:49:46 PM »
Hello John,
  You have to understand what this programme actually dose before condemning it. I have several friends who love it. You  don't have to buy the tablet if you don't need it John Beasley will supply just the programme.
  If you are into organ settings then this is a programme that will let you use more than one sound on the left and more than three on the right. I believe it comes with a lot of settings ready to use plus of course you can create your own. I would say this is mainly for people who are players that love to just sit and play as we all did in the days of organs. None of this fancy DAW stuff to boost everything and put right mistakes in playing. You just got on with it and enjoyed every minute.

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, 09:33:51 PM »
Hi Eileen

I am not condeming V Console. It is the price.
Yes for organ players mainly.
I will stick with Cubase for value and creativity.
I am still practicing every day, but have been quiet of late on the Clubs.
I have been sorting lots of things out and will be back.
Having a nasty viral tummy bug at the moment and feel like a wet rag.
I have not yet got the overblown Corona yet!  I'll stick with Tizer!! ;D

All the Best
john :) feeling half and half at the moment!! :P :P :P :P :-[
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 09:35:15 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2020, 10:16:09 PM »
Get yourself well, John. We need you!

I'm enjoying Cubase Artist 8. Finally sorted out a few mysteries surrounding the MIDI implementation between it and the Genos. Yamaha REALLY needs to write a proper set of instructions for DAW integration. Perhaps I'll offer to do it. I am a technical writer and instructor at the college level. In exchange, Yamaha can give me a free Genos II :)!

Coronavirus...moan...another entity that acts as fodder for an overzealous media. Meanwhile, world economics are tanking. I'd hate to see the damage the media would do had they reported the 1918 influenza!! Now, that was a problem!!!

Apologies to Charlie for drifting off-course from your topic. This happens a lot on these forums ;D

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2020, 11:26:23 PM »
Hi Lee
Hope you are doing well and family also.
Flaming Corona panickers. World of Snowflakes.
Up 640,000 die each year of common flu worldwide.
Sorry off topic !! ;D small rant over!! :o :P :-[

Music, Genos,  music la,la la . Huff n Puff  woooo woo back on track!! ;D
I am on Cubase 10.5 and now have got used to integrating The Genos without any problems now.
It is about practice in using it over and over until it sinks in and getting the sequence of events just right.
I can now use Genos with Cubase just to edit midi and also combine vst when the Focusrite 6i6 is switched on.
Also have learnt how to use the Control room which is a must for comparing your track with a finished favourite master.
You can also get the balance right using LUF's  - 14 db which gives you a perception of -3b in old terms.
The new sound standard and good for Souncloud etc without being sound reduced.
Before mixing in Cubase you learn how to get each of your tracks to roughly -14 to 18 db ,gainstage.
From there go for it to get the balance right before  putting the glitz on the track and finally limiting to get the sound just up to the right final level.
I am not a master at it by a long way , but i am having a go.
In between all of this i have been practicing real time and at some point which i keep telling myself, i have got to start writing and use those Vst's to the max.

All the best Lee

There are so many things in Cubase  to learn and i write things down now before i forget them

Bachus

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2020, 06:34:49 AM »
Nothing special about this site . Forget V console. More than Cubase 10. Rip off
Not impressed with the registrations
You can make registrations just as good yourself.
If i was a Dragon, I would say " Im out"!!"I am not investing in that"

So you have personal experience with V-console?
And you advicing people based on that?

Or is this just your opinion?

Anyway, V-console is not about the extra registartions..
I also don’t see why you put it in a relationship with Cubase 10?

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2020, 09:56:07 AM »
Hi Bachus
I am not having a go at people who want V console, i am just saying it is way overpriced for what it is.
The Genos in my view can do what V-Console does by making your own pads for variations and registrations etc.
You can store as many as you like on the Genos.
The V-console shortcuts some of the work for you, but the Genos has it all .
You just have to use the Genos more and all becomes easier the more you delve.

Al the Best

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2020, 12:08:07 PM »
Hi John,
You have your own perception of what VConsole does which permits you to say in a dismissive way that Genos can do it all anyway so why spend the money.
But from your comments I don't think you really understand what it is capable of doing at all (across most genres actually, not just for organ). Although Genos ends up producing  the sounds, it is the VConsole software in principle that enables it all in a user friendly way, beyond the standard Genos capability of 1 LH voice plus 3 RH voices plus style, multipads, limited split points, limited velocity control etc. etc. I would not like to even consider achieving it without dedicated software, let alone using  a DAW!   
So presumably the price relates to development and debugging costs (plus tablet if needed) reflecting on a niche market. It is what it is, enabling you to play while directly  in charge of larger arrangements of orchestras or bands without having to build them  layer by layer, maybe using a DAW which I personally find much less musically satisfying.

:) :) :)

JohnW
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 12:23:11 PM by jwyvern »

Offline keyplayer

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2020, 01:48:40 PM »
Hi John (Ugawoga), what people here are saying about the V-Console are all true - you need to own one to realise its potential and its monetary value. I have had one for over 2 years and I still suddenly get inspirations of another different way I can use it to enhance the layers of sound I create.
The programme is all about the voices you already have in your keyboard. Imagine if you could buy all those voices again and have the flexibility of adding them, up to 8 at a time (10 on Genos) to what you have already set up in your registrations on your keyboard. Not just in terms of Left, R1, R2 and R3 but being able to have them available to play either in layers or spread across the keyboard with split points you can set where you want, in whatever octave you want, and (if you have a twin set-up with or without pedals) on whichever keyboard you want or all of them at the same time. The only limitation really is polyphony.
Editing of the voices and saving them is easier and quicker. Individual registrations and banks work in a similar way as on the keyboard but of course you are only saving voices and their settings in a registration, no styles although you can specify where you want the chord recognition area to be.
It comes with MIDI platforms for single and dual keyboards so players with 2 keyboards can still use the programme just for one keyboard, which I like to do sometimes if I fancy giving the whole twin-set and pedals a rest for a while.
That is it in a nutshell, but in reality it only really scratches the surface, as it has been said you need to own one to appreciate it and decide how you would want to use it.
I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to get the whole MIDI thing working first time when setting it all up from the instructions - there are several cables as you might expect with multiple keyboard involved - and I do admit to having to learn from my mistakes for the first few weeks of using it! For me, wanting to play and not wanting to spend too much time editing, recording etc. but happy to still be 'tweaking' and improving my sounds to my own taste I feel it is well worth what I paid for it.
Hope that helps you understand V-Console John (a bit anyway).
Pam

The following users thanked this post: joer

Pino

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2020, 02:03:39 PM »
John W or Keyplayer

I’m really interested in your posts.

Would you care to upload 2 or 3 of your own songs here demonstrating arrangements of orchestras and bands with the advantages of using this software/hardware.

Thank you.

Pino.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2020, 02:52:45 PM »
Hi
I think it is up to the individual on this topic ,but i will stick with just my Genos.
All the variation is in the beast and more in my opinion.
You just have to unleash it's power.

All the Best
john :)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2020, 04:22:38 PM »
Yes and the best way to do this is to just sit and play it in front of an audience. Nothing more satisfying than this.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2020, 04:27:46 PM »
Agreed😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline keyplayer

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2020, 06:50:39 PM »
Hi Pino, sorry but as I said I don't do much recording, I've never used the V-Console in the 3 or 4 that I've done and I don't post songs.
I'll try and elaborate but this might turn into a long post! John W did manage to sum it all up in far fewer words than I can.
OK here goes, an example of how I use V-Console in general terms of being able to just sit down and just play:
I love playing big band arrangements of popular old songs so I have a few similar banks of 8 registrations on my Tyros 5, mostly sax ensembles sometimes using harmony, or brass combinations or a mixture of both. Many of them having R1, R2 and R3 all turned on together, a few have solo voice settings too. I use this keyboard for playing the melody mostly, but not all the time.
On my lower keyboard (NP30) I use the voices in the V-Console and have 8 different registrations in a bank each set up with LH piano or guitar for strumming if I'm only using an automatic drum pattern with no accompaniment plus a couple of LH voices to add in like some soft saxes, brass or strings, plus I split this lower keyboard so the top half would have 2 or 3 solo brass/woodwind/guitar/piano/vibraphone etc. voices that I can turn on and play the melody or add one or more voices to the ensemble mix on the top keyboard. I always have one lower registration that is piano with the option of adding strings/vocals so I can quickly switch to playing piano style and add the strings etc as and when I want them. All 8 registration buttons on the V-Console are labelled on the screen so I know what is selected when I switch to it and what other sounds are 'waiting in the wings'.
This all makes for great flexibilty for just sitting down and mixing many different sounds and being able to layer them on and off 'on the fly'. The same can be done with the orchestral voices, you can create a big concert orchestra, panning too.
I use it in other ways too - if you want to create a sequence of registrations for specific song arrangements you can link registrations between the keyboard and V-Console so they both change at the same time, this can be controlled either from the keyboard or V-Console.
I don't wish to try to persuade anybody to buy one, we all do what we want, all I'm saying is this programme provides additional flexibility in terms of how you use all the keyboard voices and I'm a big fan as I'm sure you can tell. 
Pino I hope that makes sense and helps, it might sound more complicated than it really easy.
I would be very interested to hear how others use theirs.
Pam

Bachus

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2020, 04:07:36 AM »
Hi Bachus
I am not having a go at people who want V console, i am just saying it is way overpriced for what it is.
The Genos in my view can do what V-Console does by making your own pads for variations and registrations etc.
You can store as many as you like on the Genos.
The V-console shortcuts some of the work for you, but the Genos has it all .
You just have to use the Genos more and all becomes easier the more you delve.

Al the Best

Its a small market
Creating software takes a huge amount of time.

I think the price is okay..

You can’t expect ipad software prices in a small market like this..

And for people that want a 2 manual Genos, this is the only solution...

Pino

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2020, 06:22:43 AM »
Thanks for your reply Pam, sounds like your having fun, I love playing Big Band and Orchestra also and would invest in this hardware if I thought it was money well spent.

Just don’t understand why 80% of members here only want to talk about how good their "fishing rods" are and never have we seen the "fish" they catch, I would love to hear some songs recorded on your brilliant set-up.
If I have an exciting new module or found and exciting new sound I would record it and post it here so others can hear. Recording is so easy, one button push.

I know one member who own a Genos + Roland Jupiter 80 + iPad Pro, talks a lot about his gear but never have I heard even one song played on his gear on this forum, why is that, We are musicians first, aren’t we? I would love to hear some songs from that set-up.

So, come on guys, there must be someone out there that has recorded some songs using this system.

Anyone 🤔

Pino.

The following users thanked this post: MIKEP, Toril S

Bachus

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2020, 06:35:20 AM »
Hi Pino, sorry but as I said I don't do much recording, I've never used the V-Console in the 3 or 4 that I've done and I don't post songs.
I'll try and elaborate but this might turn into a long post! John W did manage to sum it all up in far fewer words than I can.
OK here goes, an example of how I use V-Console in general terms of being able to just sit down and just play:
I love playing big band arrangements of popular old songs so I have a few similar banks of 8 registrations on my Tyros 5, mostly sax ensembles sometimes using harmony, or brass combinations or a mixture of both. Many of them having R1, R2 and R3 all turned on together, a few have solo voice settings too. I use this keyboard for playing the melody mostly, but not all the time.
On my lower keyboard (NP30) I use the voices in the V-Console and have 8 different registrations in a bank each set up with LH piano or guitar for strumming if I'm only using an automatic drum pattern with no accompaniment plus a couple of LH voices to add in like some soft saxes, brass or strings, plus I split this lower keyboard so the top half would have 2 or 3 solo brass/woodwind/guitar/piano/vibraphone etc. voices that I can turn on and play the melody or add one or more voices to the ensemble mix on the top keyboard. I always have one lower registration that is piano with the option of adding strings/vocals so I can quickly switch to playing piano style and add the strings etc as and when I want them. All 8 registration buttons on the V-Console are labelled on the screen so I know what is selected when I switch to it and what other sounds are 'waiting in the wings'.
This all makes for great flexibilty for just sitting down and mixing many different sounds and being able to layer them on and off 'on the fly'. The same can be done with the orchestral voices, you can create a big concert orchestra, panning too.
I use it in other ways too - if you want to create a sequence of registrations for specific song arrangements you can link registrations between the keyboard and V-Console so they both change at the same time, this can be controlled either from the keyboard or V-Console.
I don't wish to try to persuade anybody to buy one, we all do what we want, all I'm saying is this programme provides additional flexibility in terms of how you use all the keyboard voices and I'm a big fan as I'm sure you can tell. 
Pino I hope that makes sense and helps, it might sound more complicated than it really easy.
I would be very interested to hear how others use theirs.
Pam

Thats a great way of using v-console..

Where have you placed the tablet?
Is it easy to reach?

Offline keyplayer

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2020, 09:26:53 PM »
Hi Bachus, I have it in one of those tablet covers which has a cover you can fold back and it slots into the back of itself and props itself up. It also has an elastic retainer at the back so I have attached that with velcro round the foot of the music rest. As you can see it sits securely to the right of the screen, just behind the row of voice effect buttons and just manages to miss the 2 menu buttons. I tried it the other side of the screen but I prefer it where it is now. It's obviously a touch screen and the buttons are big enough to easily take a stab at quickly when I want to change to another registration (one of the 8 buttons along the bottom), or touch one of the voice buttons on or off.
Pam

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 09:42:43 PM by Roger Brenizer »

Offline keyplayer

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2020, 09:29:38 PM »
I don't know why the photo has uploaded upside down?
Pam

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2020, 09:43:28 PM »
I rotated the image for you, Pam.  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline keyplayer

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2020, 10:03:38 PM »
thanks Roger, its the correct way in the file on my laptop so I don't know why that happened. :(
Pam

Offline DerekA

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2020, 03:50:59 PM »
V-Console is clever, but you know it's just using the Song parts to create multiple voice layers, although it's also filtering out note events to allow each part to cover a custom range of notes.

You can do the same thing yourself with a cable going from MIDI OUT to MIDI IN, except for the note ranges.

But I don't doubt for a second that V-Console makes this extremely easy and user-friendly, which is what justifies its price.
Genos

Pino

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2020, 05:21:17 PM »
This is not a discussion about tuning a midi file to play on your keyboard, there is no mention of midi files in any of the posts.

The art of the game is to play the keyboard using styles only and getting the best big band or orchestral sounds without any additional pre-recorded tracks.

https://youtu.be/cwxySiCE7n4

Pino
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 02:19:59 AM by Pino »

Offline panos

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2020, 06:16:40 PM »
As long as the sound is not edited Pino and what we watch is really what we hear :)
Anyway, for commercial reasons edited videos are allowed I suppose.

It would be nice to see a video of what a player is doing while we can also see what the tablet screen is doing se we can understand better how these two work together.

And how comfortable or not it is for playing along.

Nice recording Genos!
Is just the sound is too loud.You may have nice speakers and you can hear more clearly the sounds but on the normal mediocre quality of mine,a recording with too much loudness is not a good thing at all in any case.

tyrosman

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2020, 02:32:00 AM »
Hello John,
  You have to understand what this programme actually dose before condemning it. I have several friends who love it. You  don't have to buy the tablet if you don't need it John Beasley will supply just the programme.
  If you are into organ settings then this is a programme that will let you use more than one sound on the left and more than three on the right. I believe it comes with a lot of settings ready to use plus of course you can create your own. I would say this is mainly for people who are players that love to just sit and play as we all did in the days of organs. None of this fancy DAW stuff to boost everything and put right mistakes in playing. You just got on with it and enjoyed every minute.
very True Eileen I have heard the same and im thinking a bout it now :)

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2020, 11:44:51 AM »

Just don’t understand why 80% of members here only want to talk about how good their "fishing rods" are and never have we seen the "fish" they catch, I would love to hear some songs recorded on your brilliant set-up.
If I have an exciting new module or found and exciting new sound I would record it and post it here so others can hear. Recording is so easy, one button push.
 We are musicians first, aren’t we? I would love to hear some songs from that set-up.

So, come on guys, there must be someone out there that has recorded some songs using this system.

Anyone 🤔
Pino.

I thought I'd respond to Pino by posting a link to a recording I made with the help of VConsole, which was prompted by his plea.
If we are musicians (I'm not sure that is first for me!) some of us can enjoy our music through a quest for emulating the sounds we like to hear, exploring harmonies and chord structure and actually playing the music at various levels to experience the results. Not all of us feel the priority has to be to record, although sometimes it might be desirable as a "Demonstration". And it's not always a 1 button press to record especially as complexity increases.
Generally in my case if I want to hear something again I'll just play it again, but it will probably come out differently from the first time I played it and I'll be less critical on myself if I'm not recording  ;).

Here is the link,

https://app.box.com/s/yjt5n6hnuq7fv5bkscf5yd5x75sjrxe3

It is based on Waltz2 by Shostakovich having got the detail by listening to a YouTube download (it is often played on UK radio).
It is a cheerful and uplifting Viennese Waltz especially for these times!
Amply supported by Yamaha's excellent Preset Style, which drives the Orchestra on steroids. (You can use similar voice combinations in suitable 4/4 styles to emulate "Boston Pops" treatments of other songs with or without VConsole eg. such as Sleigh Ride ).

You can't record to midi when using VConsole, so I recorded straight to Audio but used Audacity on PC as I find Yamaha's audio recorder totally unfriendly for this type of work. No overdubbing was needed to to build up layers so the player knows straightaway (like the orchestra conductor) if it is sounding rubbish or not  ;) ;).

The mixes in the registrations are optimised for my setup using Yamaha HS8 speakers so listening quality should be better if you can use your main speakers. I know with PC or Tablet speakers this type of music can sound erm wanting!

John
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 09:45:55 AM by jwyvern »

The following users thanked this post: joer, hans1966

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2020, 01:26:15 PM »
Nice job, John!

You picked a difficult song and style for that song. That particular waltz "anticipates" the second and third beat of the 3/4 time, which can be intimidating when trying to keep the rest of the instruments in time. Too bad you can't import the MIDI parts to a DAW. It would help with the timing and also give you far more control on the end product such as effects, compression, and stereo panning.

I played your score through my Yamaha HS8 speakers and it sounds great! The Genos speakers would not come close to the sound.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2020, 03:45:47 PM »
Hi Lee, thanks for commenting, it's often difficult to judge whether the mixing used to get a good sound in my own music room actually works for others - or not.

Rightly or wrongly I don't work to the idea that when recording you make nearly all your mix changes after recording. Whenever I make registrations I try to ensure Eq's, DSP's, pan, touch and other settings are gradually optimised during the practice sessions until they sound "right". So the theory is I don't need to do a midi recording first to adjust the mix because it "should" be done already.  :)

John
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 03:47:05 PM by jwyvern »

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2020, 04:18:09 PM »
Yes, that can work too, John. It's a little tricky but you've become good at it. After all, it's the final product that counts. How you get there doesn't matter ;).

Pino

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2020, 07:01:13 AM »
Hello John

Thanks for your PM
I have to tell you that I did not come back to this post because I lost interest in V-Consol, after a lot of research here, on other sites and YouTube, I decide that it was not money well spent for my needs.

At the time I was searching for a way to get a better violin and clarinet for my PSR and SX, since, I have studied sampling and have been able to sample my Ketron module voices and now able to play on my SX, my next move will be to audition some of the excellent soundfonts that’s available.

Your recording sounded first class, couldn’t wish for more.
But, my question would be, how much better is the finished song,
If you were to record on just the Genos, 10% better,?
Genos has some really good voices.

It sounds like a great addition to a home studio.

Thanks for your upload, good playing and voicing.

Pino

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2020, 09:30:38 PM »
Hi Pino, thanks for coming back so promptly.
VC does not have voices of its own, it uses the keyboard's samples plus optionally any expansion voices you may have installed to the KB (Genos in my case) and they are all editable in various ways, some similar to Genos' Voice Set, others with differing detail. So what you hear are "Genos" layered voices (up to 12 of them if you choose, the 8 VC ones brought on or off with virtual tabs) deployed in various ways.  For each VC channel you can choose to assign it to the RH or LH or a precise range of notes, or velocity range, and there are also "couplers" meaning you can choose to sound not only the note for each voice, but also an octave above or below, or both.
For me:
the ability to layer more than 1 LH voice is a particular strength. If you listen to real BigBands you will often hear a strong interplay between the melody and accomp sections. On an arranger where left voice is often ignored or at least drowned out it is difficult to set up the presence needed with just the one. Layering gives options for a wider sound that cuts through, with variation possible eg.  muted trumpets coming in only when needed via velocity control. To optimise the player of course also needs to have the "ear" to be able to fit appropriate voicings in this way.
Similarly orchestras can be divided into Left and Right, with the Left supporting or contrasting the main theme (rather than getting lost within it as often happens if limited to a single LH string voice.)
So there are plenty of voice channels to go around and even playing Ensemble fashion can include a full complement of L and R voices rather than being limited to "cut down" versions on the basic arranger.
It does need work to get the best from it. Just adding more voices might result in being louder, but to get quality and realism requires a lot of thought, trial and error and time which is fine  by me since the challenge and playing go together. It may not suit musicians who are dedicated to playing to audiences, are already being well received by them and are not interested in spending extra time on tech issues.
So, is it 10 percent better? Depends what we are attempting. With solos or small nos. of voices it doesn't make much difference unless you are taking advantage of using more than 1 left voice. Should sound more comprehensive then if played appropriately.
Taking my recording,  when setting up the orchestral voices they have up to 3 LH voices, and cut through the mix well when needed at higher velocities, and up to 6 RH voices (including Genos). As well as the base voices for strings a choir voice is there just below the surface to allude to the singing occasionally heard on the Youtube original I based it on. Plus a pizzicato voice which allowed the orchestra to go more "plucky" when I felt like it via velocity! So compared with using Genos alone the playing  was sounding "better" to me as I played live and I hope it would be evident in any recording comparison too although it remains subjective because what would you choose to compare it with?

If you haven't seen it already and want to listen to the ultimate in VC recording and  playing performance given by the developer please see the following link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGz4K4rLJOQ&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0uSnkLMTn4h9pvheNoH3KSHIShPH41DxPGUQI9E5sE6nqIZ8B4aYQzwE0

Regards John
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 11:06:09 AM by jwyvern »

Pino

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2020, 01:15:48 PM »
John
I had plans to update my gig playlist and do lots of music in these lockdown times but it hasn’t worked out that way, I have a young family, my youngest is a 6 year old girl , they get bored and need extra love and attention these days so excuse my previous reply, My musical cap has not been on the past few weeks and the posting regarding the v-console seem like 12 months ago now.
Many changes to our lives since then.

My mix-up, I was looking at 2 products at that time. 
‘V-console’ and ‘Yammex’ module.

V-console
I decided that I was not going to gain much by using this app in my gig setup and would have to carry more gear, setting the ‘harmony’ feature up with R1 R2 R3 probably does what I need.
I watched the video from John Beesley, I could never play that good or even want to play that style of music so no point go any further with that, I play some BB and Orch, 80% MoR, ballads, pops - guitar, Sax, piano, bass, drums etc on top of the excellent Yamaha styles available to us on our keyboards.

Yammex - 600+ voices
Good product, some really cool voices but I already have most of the voices covered in my SX900, just wanted a better violin and Clarinet, now I already have this sorted by sampling,

John,
Could you put up another song here using the Genos and the v-console, maybe a popular song, I’ll try to reproduce it on my SX900, not as competition but just as a comparison,
The SX costs 60% less than the Genos but maybe it’s 70% as good,
I’ll use the harmony function with the R1-R2-R3 to try and get close to your version with the v-console.

Take care and be safe

Pino

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2020, 07:11:39 PM »
Pino,
Quite understandable that keyboarding has to take a back seat from time to time especially where children are involved :) . I am past the time of having had young children but nevertheless there are plenty of other things to compete for attention even in our (country-side) lock down.
I play mainly for my own amusement, dipping in and out of various songs as they spring to mind. Often ideas for different arrangements or voice setups also come to mind and I will experiment with those too or where it becomes more complex (as it often IS with the extra channels of VC), work on it over a period as a project.  Most players who are more disciplined in their approach to music and particularly who play out to entertain others are unlikely IMO to go for the extra expense and technical commitment. We are all in a differing headspace.
At present I do not have any recorded songs meeting your spec. just the Viennese Waltz I produced to post here after your request.
I play BBand songs so will work towards producing a Genos / VC recording although it won"t be immediate (other things interfere, seems familiar?). Bear in mind the keyboard alone is pretty good at producing even Ensemble sounds with the limited no. of voices available so the VC opportunities to demonstrate significant improvements will vary depending on the actual details and choice of genre. (That's why I chose to record the previous fully orchestrated Waltz as a special because it was a "better Demo" for use of VC just as John Beesley probably thought the Planets were for him!)
With say BBand any differences noted are just as likely to be due to quality of voices (Genos vs. SX 900) as any VC vs non VC effects.

Regards, John
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 07:13:26 PM by jwyvern »