Author Topic: Keyboard Stand  (Read 28872 times)

Murat

Keyboard Stand
« on: September 04, 2019, 03:18:35 PM »
Good afternoon,

Please could you help me?

I am looking to purchase a couple of items but unsure of what I really need.

I have my Genos and still have my old Pa3x 76 keys (still in perfect condition by the way). The Korg is not used and stays in its softcase. I play my Genos nearly every day, I use powered speakers (Microlab Solo 15c) and very happy with the sound quality. What I would like to do is to play both keyboards at the same time; probably put the Genos at the bottom and the Korg on top. I haven’t got a keyboard stand which can carry two keyboards. I haven’t got a mixer (or something similar) to connect both keyboards to my powered speakers.
Could you please let me know what stand I should get and what mixer (or something similar) I should get. But it is very important that I don’t lose sound quality?

Thanks

Offline robinez

Re: Keyboard Stand
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 03:31:48 PM »
i use the spider pro keyboard stand, it's a high quality stand
https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/column-stands/18860-keyboard-stand-spider-pro-black-anodized?number=18860-000-35

You don't need a mixer, you can add the output of the Korg Pa3x to the inputs of the Yamaha Genos.

Offline soryt

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 04:02:39 PM »
I use this  one >> https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/keyboard-tables/18810-table-style-keyboard-stand-omega-black?c=171 with the extra stacker for my second keyboard  >> https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/keyboard-tables/18811-stacker-black

Ideal for home use , a lot of room for pedals and youre feet :-)
And a mixer isnt necessary , you can route the audio out from youre korg in to the Genos aux in , and control the volume etc if you connect it with a Midi cable .

Soneg  :)

see my set-up here >> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 04:05:18 PM by soryt »
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 01:01:00 AM »
Murat, it is important that we know what country you are from. You would be surprised at the number of great products that are simply unavailable in some countries!! I live in Canada and some European and UK members talk about certain products they use. I look for a Canadian dealer and there is no one!! And we're supposed to be living in a "global market??" So, let us know. Thanks.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Murat

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 07:08:51 AM »
Thank you all. I have contacted a few music shops here in the UK and got some responses; they all recommended some stand and a cheap mixer (circa £50).

Currently I am unsure of what stand I should get becasue I must be sure that I can see the screen of the Genos easily once I have another keyboard on top of it?

Second issue; as mentioned, do I really need a mixer? I have no knowledge of how to use MIDI but if it works I would like to try it. I would need the Genos to let the sound through (so connect my Korg to it and only a set of cables from the Genos to the Powered Speakers).

By using MIDI, it would be great that if I change the Transpose on the Genos the Korg also changes the key. To start with, this is probably all I need when using two keyboards.

ANy mroe suggestions please?

Offline robinez

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 07:54:26 AM »
Murat, it is important that we know what country you are from. You would be surprised at the number of great products that are simply unavailable in some countries!! I live in Canada and some European and UK members talk about certain products they use. I look for a Canadian dealer and there is no one!! And we're supposed to be living in a "global market??" So, let us know. Thanks.

not really sure if you are talking about the stand i mentioned, but it was one google search to find several online shops in canada which are selling the spider pro stand

here are three options
https://cosmomusic.ca/stand-keyboard-k-m-18860-black-spider-pro.html
https://www.avshop.ca/cases-amp-racks-keyboard-cases-amp-stands/k-amp18860-keyboard-spider-stand-pro-black?zenid=b528ac9a9aaf99f616927c155637fd9a
https://www.amazon.ca/Stands-18860-Black/dp/B0009Y3RES

Offline DerekA

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 12:43:22 PM »
I'm interested in this too.

Say I had a stand with a top tier, with T5 on the bottom and MODX on top.

MODX doesn't have a place for a sheet music rest. Would I just need to use a standalone music stand extended out as far as it would go? Or do some stands have a music rest attachment?
Genos

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 12:46:55 PM »
Thanks for the links, Robinez. I guess I was talking in more general terms. I have wanted to test out speakers that other users bought, only to find there are no Canadian dealers. That stand is very nice but expensive.

Murat - Robinez has a good idea to just route the Audio Out - Left and Right from your Korg to the Aux In - Left and Right on the Genos. If I read your situation correctly, you just want to be able to hear the Korg along with the Genos? Murat's solution will work fine. If you need to control the Korg from the Genos, then you need to set up the MIDI functions.

Edit
Soryt mentioned that to control the volume of the Korg, you need to use MIDI. This is correct. I believe you could also use a Volume pedal with In and Out jacks.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 12:49:41 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 12:53:25 PM »
Currently I am unsure of what stand I should get because I must be sure that I can see the screen of the Genos easily once I have another keyboard on top of it?
That is one problem with the non-tilting screen of the Genos. You must place the top keyboard back pretty far to see the Genos screen - almost too far to play both at the same time. I used to put my Nord 5D top of my T5. There was no problem because the T5 screen would tilt forward, allowing the Nord 5D to be within reach.

Offline robinez

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 01:35:12 PM »
That is one problem with the non-tilting screen of the Genos. You must place the top keyboard back pretty far to see the Genos screen - almost too far to play both at the same time. I used to put my Nord 5D top of my T5. There was no problem because the T5 screen would tilt forward, allowing the Nord 5D to be within reach.
that's why i choose the spider stand for the genos, because that has a stand that is tilted backwards. The resting arms for each keyboard can be extended, so reading the screens is very convenient on the spider pro. Also attachments are available like for instance ipad  attachments, music sheetholder, etc.

see:
https://www.k-m.de/brand/en/discover-the-world-of-the-keyboard-stand-spider-pro/

I also use the roland V-stand with a second tier, but that one makes it impossible to read the genos screen.

Offline soryt

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 05:08:24 PM »
Never had any problem to look on my Genos screen with the K&M Omega stand , its ideal when you have some licht from above .
The spider is more a stage stand for standing use .

Soryt  :)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

littleComposers

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 01:38:51 AM »
@Murat

I would plug the Korg main outputs into the Genos Aux input.

As far as a keyboard stand goes, I have an 88-note MIDI controller with the Genos on top and had a hard time finding a stand that would let me lower the Genos keyboard (keys) close to the controller.
I ended up with a new Quicklok X stand which has adjustable arms. The upper extension arms were long enough to hold the Genos nicely. It was very hard to find a double keyboard stand that had that feature. Most upper keyboards are narrow. Here is a picture of the setup. The gap looks big in the picture but is not bad. I wish I could make my own stand .... sigh. :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 01:42:44 AM by littleComposers »

Murat

Re: Keyboard Stand & MIDI (for two keyboards)
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 11:47:02 AM »
Hello all,

Thank you for all the suggestions.

I have decided to use a couple of short leads to feed outputs from Korg into Genos’s aux in.

Regarding the stand, I am not entirely sure which one to get. I currently have 2no normal stands, I might try putting them one against the other and see how that works; one set to low and second set to high.

I think I need a lot of help with MIDI. I am a complete beginner when it comes to MIDI. Please could you educate me where I should start? Perhaps there is a website where I can learn how MIDI works. Obviously, I don’t need the technicalities and history of MIDI but just how it actually works. All I know is you have various channels and you can give various jobs to each channel or something, guessing both keyboards need to be compatible with these jobs (you see, I am a complete beginner, I probably got the whole concept wrong).

Ps. Both keyboards the Genos and Pa3x are 76 keys; the Korg keybed is more (proper)semi-weighted than Genos’s keybed; Genos have more of a synth keybed. I like the feel of the Korg when playing the piano but for everything else I love the Genos. My point is, I wonder if I should get a 88keys semi-weighted (not fully weighted) keyboard (could be MIDI controller or say Korg Kronos 2 88keys?

What do you think?

Murat

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 02:56:44 PM »
Thank you for the help so far. Just to clarify, I already two midi cables and would like to use the Genos as the controller.

I think I need to learn about how to set it all up, channels etc.

Just a couple examples of things I'd like to do:

When I transpose in Genos the Korg should transpose automatically.
I'd like to be able to play a style from either keyboard (but only pressing the keys on the Genos, as the controller keyboard)
I'd like to be able to play any part of sounds on either keyboard or both.

I just don't know anything about MIDI, so please be gentle with me  :)