Author Topic: Style/OTS - which voices in OTS are in which Style  (Read 3699 times)

oli65

Style/OTS - which voices in OTS are in which Style
« on: March 03, 2020, 08:53:38 AM »
Hello
I'm playing a lot of with midifiles. So in the style there are good proposals of voices in the ots. But I dont find anywhere a list which voices are in which style/ots. Many styles have the same voices in the ots and It would help me to see this voice combination in the ots is saved in this and this style.
Do you know where I can find such a list?

Offline BogdanH

Re: Style/OTS - which voices in OTS are in which Style
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 11:33:40 AM »
hi oli,

As far I know such (official) list doesn't exist. My opinion.. OTS voices defined in original styles are just as suggestion of what would sound "nice" with particular style. And I'm quite sure, most of us change OTS voices to our liking anyway -at least for our favorite styles.
So, as you probably found out, the only way to see OTS voices on display is, to chose style and select OTS 1-4 . The other option is, using some style tool on PC, for example: http://digi-life.synology.me/software/YStyleRevoice.html -in this case you need style file on your PC, of course.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Bill

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 12:04:14 PM »
There is also OTS Viewer  see link below

Bill

https://psrtutorial.com/util/sorenson.html
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 01:31:07 PM »
But here is the thing, even if the same instrument is used over and over again in the OTS, Yamaha has given them DIFFERENT "Effects" settings. So, it is really important to go through all of your styles and find your favorites. I play country tunes mostly and hear all the differences in the Guitars and Piano settings.

Regards
Drake

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 02:49:08 PM »
Yes Drake, is an important detail you mentioned!
Voice in one style/OTS can sound quite different in another style -even in both same basic voice is used.
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Jørgen

The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

oli65

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 03:57:32 PM »
But here is the thing, even if the same instrument is used over and over again in the OTS, Yamaha has given them DIFFERENT "Effects" settings. So, it is really important to go through all of your styles and find your favorites. I play country tunes mostly and hear all the differences in the Guitars and Piano settings.

Regards
Drake

Yes thats a point which I dont have considerd. So its better for me to write in a list, which style have good ots voices.

If I understand correct with the proposed software in this forum I have to open every style folder and open it, to see which voices the ots have.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 04:54:31 PM »
OTS has always stored the individual settings you can make under "voice set" (e.g. attack, release, filter cutoff etc) and also the insertion effect type.

But up to and including Tyros 5, OTS did *not* store the individual effect parameters. Since PSR-Sx70, OTS does now store the effect parameters. This is one of the reasons that OTS on recent models including Genos can be better than on Tyros 5  - there is more scope for customising the DSP parameters.
Genos

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 05:49:11 PM »
Hi oli65

Drake is right and you already understand the limited value of such a list. Anyway, it might be a starting point for you to prepare your personal list of favourites. I compiled the list you asked for, see attachement (Excel file). If a voice name is enclosed in brackets, this means that the associated keyboard part is switched off when pressing the OTS key.

HTH
Michael

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 06:38:46 PM by Dromeus »
Regards, Michael

The following users thanked this post: porterma, ticktock, frozzers, balcino

Offline panos

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 07:43:19 PM »
Hi oli65,
just to remind, if you don't know that already, that you can also save the OTS's that you like with all their effects  (R1+R2 without including the styles if you don't want to) in the registration banks.
You can even modify a little those combinations to your personal liking.

oli65

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 08:33:04 PM »
Dromeus, many thanks to your list, thats what I searched. Thanks also to all responses here. So I think I'm ready to have an ovierview and can make different registry banks for good ots settings like piano, guitar, synth etc.  ;D

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 08:35:42 PM »
@oli: was my pleasure  ;D
Regards, Michael