Author Topic: No aftertouch from Novation 61 SL MK II -> PSR A5000  (Read 539 times)

Offline joeb

No aftertouch from Novation 61 SL MK II -> PSR A5000
« on: March 01, 2024, 04:56:41 AM »
Hello friends,

I have been scratching my head trying to get the Novation 61 SL MK II to activate aftertouch on the PSR 5000.

I have a template with aftertouch activated on the Novation 61 SL MK II
on the PSR A5000, I have the receive channel 1 through 4 for R1, R2, R3 and Left set to Keyboard
On the Novation 61 SL MK II I have setup 4 zones, zones 1 through 3 transmitting on channels 1,2 and 3
Zone 4 is transmitting on channel 4 (left hand). The zones are all split and I have no issue playing the sounds / left and right hand but I can't get modulation effects from the aftertouch

I am not sure if the PSR A5000 is capable of reading channel aftertouch pressure or not.

any advice on what I am doing wrong? (Other than I should have saved up money and gotten a Genos instead :)
Current owner of PSR A5000, Novation 61SL MK 2
Former owner of MODX, PA4X, PA900 and GEM WK2

Offline Bill

Re: No aftertouch from Novation 61 SL MK II -> PSR A5000
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2024, 09:58:40 AM »
Hi Joeb

I don’t think you are doing anything wrong, the A5000 does not support aftertouch.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline joeb

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 02:54:51 AM »
They keyed doesn't support after touch
But the midi receive menu has reference to after touch
I spotted some areas about after touch in their
Midi implementation Excel file

So I think from a midi point of view it seems to be supported

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 07:18:34 PM »
The MIDI Implementation chart indicates that polyphonic aftertouch messages are recognized. Even so, you have work to do.

Here's a suggestion. The voice itself may not respond to aftertouch messages right out of the box. For example, on Genos, grand piano will not immediately respond to aftertouch. You need to go into a Voice Edit menu page to make aftertouch settings: Filter, Amplitude, LFO Pitch, LFO Filter, LFO Amplitude. If the A5000 does not provide these options under Voice Edit, you will need to change these parameters via XG MULTI-PART MIDI messages.

Hope this helps -- pj

Just checked the A5000 Reference Manual. It does not provide aftertouch settings in Voice Edit. You will need to use MIDI messages to wake up aftertouch in the voice.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 07:20:44 PM by pjd »

Offline joeb

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2024, 09:10:16 PM »
Thank you for looking this up. I thought that the channel after touch defaults to a cc 1 for modulation so I didn't think I needed to look at sound settings.

I need to learn more about this multi part xg thing lol.

I have managed to learn  more about sysex messages and I managed to control the style variation 1 though 4 using the controller. I have another problem, I have no idea how to start,stop the style. The data sheet from Yamaha for osr a5000 is a little vague about that.

Nothing is as easy as it looks