Author Topic: what a sx 900 is for?  (Read 4743 times)

Offline anon125

what a sx 900 is for?
« on: February 29, 2020, 04:06:07 PM »
we wanted a keyboard that would sound nice at home.
a dealer wrote..." to make sure it's the right thing for you. An arranger keyboard is the kind that creates backing track songs in a variety of styles, that a player would typically play chords and melody over"

am i confused ( wouldn't be the first time!)
thanks all

Offline Graham UK

Re: what a sx 900 is for?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 08:12:55 PM »
It Does What it says on the tin...

An arranger keyboard is the kind that creates backing track songs in a variety of styles, that a player would typically play chords and melody over"

Select Style, Your Left Hand plays chords and Right Hand plays melody to the backing style you have chosen.
DGX670

3dc

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 08:25:51 PM »
Copy/Paste from Sweetwater website:
The main difference between a workstation and an arranger is that the arranger keyboard (LIKE YAMAHA PSR-SX900) has built-in “auto-accompaniment.” In other words, with the push of just a few buttons, the keyboard will provide backing tracks that automatically match the style, rhythm, and tempo of what you’re playing. This has become a unique tool for composers who have to produce music quickly in a style they may not be familiar with. Even songwriters who don’t know how to program drums or play guitar can use the arranger to hear their songs being played by a band, without having to call in musicians. Finally, for the working solo performer, the arranger can add new dimension to your sound by giving you the advantage of sounding like a full band.

Please note that Yamaha PSR-SX900 is advanced keyboard. If you are complete newbie like I am you should go with Yamaha PSR-E363 or Yamaha PSR-E463 for intermediate user.

Hope this helps.

Offline anon125

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 08:31:36 PM »
thanks guys

Online Joe H

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 11:05:06 PM »
we wanted a keyboard that would sound nice at home...

Go to the music store and play one.  It's got 8-part built-in styles (different genre of music) that you just play along with.  Play the chord progressions with your left hand and melody with your right hand.

I think you will like the arranger keyboard.  The sx900 sounds great.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 12:30:21 AM »
Made 67 posts on the forum but still not clear about what an arranger does?

Roy_T

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 03:35:53 AM »

YouTube demos ? ? ?

Online Joe H

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 04:34:43 AM »
Made 67 posts on the forum but still not clear about what an arranger does?

I think he is just playing with us all... just look at his 67 posts.

::) 

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline anon125

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 05:11:59 PM »
no I am not playing with you all.
the local stores do NOT have them in stock so i cannot hear them.

we have 2 keyboards at present.

but the dealers explanation sounded odd to me.

thanks all

blackpool

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 12:33:41 AM »
An arranger IMHO ... turns a simple melody line with suitable chords into a complete 'arrangment' and a finished piece by adding the musicality and percussion needed, without the need for a real band .
I have an SX900 but also use and teach my friends with  a basic Korg EK50 which is simply an entertainer arranger board which are fantastic and as cheap as chips ... wonderful starting point ....can highly recommend

Keith

rcpilot

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 03:00:51 PM »

Offline anon125

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2020, 09:08:54 PM »
thanks all

Offline Toril S

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2020, 12:20:35 AM »
Keith summed it all up. And that's why I became so fascinated with keyboards, you play a chord, and there you have a whole band at your fingertips! Or an orchestra! Love it!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline mikf

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2020, 06:13:57 PM »
The link in a previous post ion this thread to the guy who demonstrates the arranger is a great introduction to these keyboards. Worth a look for any newby or just someone thinking about arrangers, because truthfully, few retailers have people who can demo them adequately.
But even more helpful is his excellent review of the new SX yamaha keyboard, which is also on this guys website. For anyone on the forum considering an upgrade, this is very good info. He lays out pros and cons very well and very succinctly. Go to his web site and find the review if you are considering the SX.
Mike

Offline anon125

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2020, 06:41:46 PM »
woody also says to play the notes just before the beat. does anyone agree?
thanks

Offline mikf

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2020, 07:17:23 PM »
It might be true, I think players will naturally adjust, so we might be doing this without even knowing. A few seconds of realizing the chords are coming in late and the brain will just respond to the feedback.
Mike

Offline anon125

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2020, 07:26:59 PM »
well YOUR brain adjusts!!!!

Offline mikf

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2020, 08:53:25 PM »
It’s the only way to do it. If you are having to actually think about something like that while playing you are in trouble.
Mike