Author Topic: Genos Superior Styles  (Read 6601 times)

Offline beakybird

Genos Superior Styles
« on: February 29, 2020, 12:46:06 AM »
Someone on this board just shared these https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,54366.0.html.

Trying them on my SX900, I'm a little underwhelmed. Not surprisingly, there are usually voices missing. The drums sound wrong. I must say that the Revo! Drum kits from the "Ghenos" expansion pack for the SX900 that I purchased cover the missing drums pretty well from this Superior pack. A lot of the styles have a lot of potential, and probably sound awesome on the Genos. On the SX900? Meh.

Offline Ed B

Re: Genos Superior Styles
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 02:02:15 AM »
Hi
You will need to tweak these styles to fit your keyboards voices..
Regards
Ed B
Keep on learning

The following users thanked this post: pmahl

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 02:36:50 PM »
This is the problem in trying to use styles that are from a different keyboard. You have to re-voice a lot of them and they never sound the same. The SX 900 will not have some of the voices Genos has and the SX dose not have Revo drums but they are quite close. As the saying goes " You gets what you pays for "             

rcpilot

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 06:15:20 PM »
It would be so awesome if someone with the skill would take the superior pack (genos) and make all the fixes etc to work real nice on SX-900. I think there is some real nice styles and OTS in there.
I would be willing to chip in a little donation if needed....
I know one real talented Lady here that has the skills to do it.....
Lee

Offline hans1966

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 03:24:02 AM »
If Yamaha wanted to, it could add S.A2 voices to the SX900, so that there is greater compatibility with Genos, in the next operating system update. They do NOT have to be all. just a few. :) :) regards. Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 03:39:14 AM »
Most of these styles have already been converted. Peter fixed the drum kits in 34 of the style and I have tweaked them to use in every keyboard since the S950 (which I use). And yea, they sound great and they are free.  ;D

https://www.psrtutorial.com/styles/coll/drake/Superior%20Pack%20S950.zip
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 03:40:23 AM by DrakeM »

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, bluekiwi, hans1966, Bernie9, Aquilauno, wersianer, daleSP

Tyros1

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 08:52:06 AM »
Hello From Jan Denmark  - first post :)

I,m just new her with my PSR SX 700 some i owned for 9 days and i love it.
Have had a Tyros 1 for 10 years ago just for fun  - I'm a just a  amateur  - but my SX 700 sounds much better

Looks like a great forum this one.

Question:
Can i just download Superior Pack S950 in this thread too a USB stick and play them from my SX 700?

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 11:36:55 AM »
hello Jan,
Yes, you can. Wish you fun with SX700  :)

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

rcpilot

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 01:25:29 PM »
Thank you DrakeM!
Lee

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 05:05:24 PM »
Are you talking about the superior pack style that were given to us after version two update to Genos.
These you load into the YEM which also has voices.

Offline Simone1972

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 01:51:16 PM »
Lee,
I've started working on the SX900 conversion of the superior styles, nevertheless
it takes a lot of time (especially for the DSP assignments).
I'll share them once ready.

Regards

The following users thanked this post: motifes, Aquilauno

rcpilot

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 02:34:41 PM »
Simone, GREAT news....I think several folks will do that and it will be cool to try them out. I think there is a few really nice ones for my kind of music.
Thanks,
Lee

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 08:27:17 PM »
Are you talking about the superior pack style that were given to us after version two update to Genos.
These you load into the YEM which also has voices.

Hi Eileen,
I gather that is why they probably won’t sound anywhere near as good on an Sx ?
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline beakybird

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 02:35:18 AM »
I have to say that the Ghenos pack sold by this Mexican guy I had mentioned has several Revo drum kits that are pretty spot on for a lot of these styles. I gave this pack a mixed review because not all of the voices were done right and because there were a lot of spelling and typographical errors in the names of the voices that were kind of annoying. Nevertheless, besides the Revo drums, there are a couple of outstanding resonator guitars and a fantastic Irish bagpipe that I'm hyped about with St. Patty's coming.
Back to the Superior Styles. With the Ghenos drum pack and substituting the missing voices with the voices used on the S950 version, these sound really, really good. I've converted three.

rcpilot

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 03:41:42 AM »
beakybird, nice to hear all that,
Thanks,
Lee

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2020, 08:45:30 PM »
Hi Eileen,
I gather that is why they probably won’t sound anywhere near as good on an Sx ?

I did a comparison of the 34 Superior Genos style converted into S950 styles to the actual Genos styes here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDt7Pk97aK0

YouTube turned the comments off by the way not me.  ::)

Some people couldn't decide which keyboard was the Genos for each of the comparisons. But the Genos was always first, I wasn't trying to fool any one with the video. It is just an example as to how you can convert the Genos styles to a PSR keyboard and still have the quality of the style.

Regards
Drake
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 08:51:59 PM by DrakeM »

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2020, 10:09:05 PM »
hello,
Just watched (listened actually) that video.
Of course, listening blindly, it's impossible to tell which is Genos and which is S950..one of these two could also be S670. But it's not the point in that.. More important is, how much is difference noticeable. And to my opinion, it's quite big -even such music genre (orchestral jazz) isn't the best for comparison.
Example at 3min25sec and 3min50sec: trumpets (or whatever brass that is) sound very different to me.  And then the example just after that: no comparison between these two harmonicas (called harp in US, I think) -on first sample (it's Genos you said) it sounds MUCH better in my ears.
I don't say these converted styles are not usable.. I just think there's still space for improvement. I can say that now, after I also heard original -without that, I just wouldn't know  ;)

Thank you for sharing that comparison.. is extremely informative!

Bogdan

rcpilot

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2020, 02:45:35 PM »
Oh, of course there will be a big difference in the sounds and sound quality itself. A S-950 (or Sx-900) is certainly not a Genos.
But I think the styles work pretty well and sound good on the 950 comparison.

I have the SX-900 and after having it a while, I find some really well done voices and a some not so well done(more than I like) . So I am looking getting Genos a little later. I really hate it when playing and a note right next to the last one is VERY different sounding....at this point in these instruments with plenty of memory etc, that should not be. They use the wrong sample or stretch the sample too many notes.
Lee

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2020, 04:48:07 PM »
..when playing and a note right next to the last one is VERY different sounding..
I hear you Lee -agree fully  :)
And all I was trying to say in previous post is: It's the voice(s) used in style that make the difference (and less keyboard).

Bogdan

rcpilot

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2020, 08:16:47 PM »
Yes, I agree too...in fact I love the 900  and it does sound really good, but I am leaning towards a Genos as I an big on accurate sounds done right. Sound is critical to me.

By the way I love this! What more could anyone ever do on a keyboard instrument.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCED5cVnxxY

Now those are some great sounds!
Lee
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 08:18:38 PM by rcpilot »

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2020, 10:03:23 PM »
I did a comparison of the 34 Superior Genos style converted into S950 styles to the actual Genos styes here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDt7Pk97aK0

YouTube turned the comments off by the way not me.  ::)

Some people couldn't decide which keyboard was the Genos for each of the comparisons. But the Genos was always first, I wasn't trying to fool any one with the video. It is just an example as to how you can convert the Genos styles to a PSR keyboard and still have the quality of the style.

Regards
Drake

Hi Drake,
I was actually one of them.

Must get them out again and go thru them.
Not sure if they sounded as good on the sx900 , as they did on your s950, though.

You did an amazing job.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

The following users thanked this post: DrakeM

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2020, 10:46:52 PM »
Lee .. I am speechless
What a musician and what an instrument.. just realized I need to practice more  ;D

Thank you for pointing me on that video,
Bogdan

rcpilot

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2020, 01:41:17 AM »
Your welcome...and the price is not as bad as you might think...depending on the model $5K - $10K.
BUT Marco does not come with it!, Ha, Ha, Ha....
Meanwhile back to reality, SX-900 great board.
Lee

Offline KeyboardEd

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2020, 02:34:29 AM »
Thank you Drake.

& Lee, why have I not heard of Marco before?  :o

There are some purists I've played with that just do not get it. Now I have a link to show them!

rcpilot

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2020, 10:10:34 PM »
Because he plays Yamaha Electone organs not arrangers??
Some only think the arrangers are for backing tracks while singing...they are a LOT MORE! Full orchestral arrangement can be done.
That organ has awesome voicing and features, but is still behind our arrangers tech wise (2014)
But it is so capable it's crazy!

The cool part is it shows what is possible with the right practice/skills....

OH we can setup our arrangers to do almost the same thing....with a little work and thinking.
Using full styles is not the only way to play, using rhythms and maybe a track or 2 of accompaniment is also very effective
Lee

rcpilot

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2020, 10:14:45 PM »
I don't remember when Yamaha quit selling their organs in the US and UK, maybe mid 90's??
But I think it was a mistake...they need to re-establish the market.  Existing dealers could sell them without any issues....and service them. There are a lot of people that will pay $5k - $10k for one of those baby's....5k is about Genos price. I would.

You can import one, but the warranty is in Japan, and shipping is about $2k. Door to door.

Lee