Author Topic: How can we get sidechain effect in style creator  (Read 1958 times)

Jabran.jibbi

How can we get sidechain effect in style creator
« on: February 28, 2020, 04:08:58 AM »
Hi guys i am using yamaha psr sx700 it got some styles like clubdj amd big room from dance category they got sidechaining on the pads and chords channel but i cant find the way to creat your own sidechainig effect anywehere in the keyboard
Alos 700 got some arpegios which got gate effect similar to sidechaining but i cant find any effect in the keyboard related to it
Plz if anyone can help let me know

Offline Joe H

Re: How can we get sidechain effect in style creator
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 06:12:46 AM »
There is no side chain DSP or other method in the arranger keyboard.  Side Chain is created using continuous controller 11 (Expression)

The best way to understand it is to view it in a MIDI sequencer/DAW or with the StyleMagic software. It can be viewed with StyleMagic in the multieditor screen (Piano Roll).  There is a field at the top of the Piano Roll screen that allows you to select the controller Type (set it to Expression). Then click on the Channel field and use the arrows keys on the your computer keyboard to scroll through the channels.  Usually you can find the side chain used on channel 14 with synth strings or synth Pad.

You can download a demo of StyleMagic here:  https://www.midisoft.pl/en/

You can create side chain effect using the mouse to add Expression controller messages.  The pencil will let you draw the controller events, but you don't really need many controller events to create side chain effect.  It's basically accomplished with a few messages that start at low volume and rise quickly to full volume. Expression is a variation of volume. It is used to vary the volume without changing the Main MIDI volume which is controller 7 (the Main Volume remains constant).

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline panos

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 07:00:58 AM »
Hi my friends,
Jabran.jibbi can add at least one dsp effect to the style parts using the mixing console while still inside the style creator.
(I have an older model to tell you the exact proccess)
You have 3 types of effects there on Mixing Console for all style parts
like reverb,chorus,dsp1
Choose the 3rd one

Search for
type
parameter
connection change it to insertion
then it lets you to add a "gated" dsp effect to astyle part like tremolo,rotary,phaser etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh4hoMhByaw

Of course if the  3rd type effect is already used in other style parts and it is important you have to choose which effect is the most important to keep

Offline Joe H

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 04:37:13 PM »
Tremolo is similar to side chain but not the same.  If there was a Tremolo Tempo it would be a good option, but there is only a speed (Frequency) control that is not synced to the MIDI clock. Side chain is synced to the bass drum timing and also the upbeat or downbeat to give different effects.  It would be nice if Yamaha added a side chain DSP.  It has been included in Yamaha synths for years.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline panos

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 05:56:42 PM »
Yes I can see what you mean Joe.

But neither a drummer or a band/orchestra are synch to a midi clock.
Yet sometimes they give us the impression that their playing couldn't have been any better.
So I think our friend can still fiddle around with several kinds of effects to see if they can synchronize by ear and suit to a 4 bar style part without noticing the difference.
(E.g The miss synchronization could be noticeable after 10 bars to our ears)

Tempo is also speed(a stable one) like the LFO speed on those parameters or the Vibrate time.
Sometimes when there are option like 8ths,16ths etc. to the effect this speed is synchronized to the style's tempo.

On DSP effects  there are other parameters too which can change the speed of the effect to better or worst timing.

Maybe it is worthy for Jabran to check these options and maybe he could find an effect that fits even better to the style part that the one he had in mind.

Sometimes when an effect is not that good with e.g, for the pad voice part, we can still change to another similar pad voice and the effect now suits perfectly.

Of course using a program with more options like Joe says maybe it is better for what you want to do.  :)