Author Topic: EQ settings  (Read 4206 times)

Offline Ray

EQ settings
« on: February 09, 2020, 09:20:21 AM »
I have the Clavinova CVP809, and would very much appreciate opinions re a good EQ setting for the instrument. I use rhythms and play using the styles, often the organ flutes too. Now I realise a lot depends on personal preference, I had a a Tyros few years ago, there were often postings re this issue, with various setting suggestions posted, which did enhance the instrument. New to the Clavinova, it is set default all settings on 0. I would like your opinions re to leave as is, or perhaps a guide to alter them, to hear an alternate sound enhancement. Many thanks.

Offline Graham UK

Re: EQ settings
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 10:03:21 AM »
(it is set default all settings on 0.)
Yes, but there is a list of settings provided (they all show 0) but they each provide different EQ & CMP.

EQ Settings. Some players set these too high which send Keyboard into distorted sound.
I have found no higher than +5 is max.
Adjust in small amounts,   EQ1+2 EQ2-1 EQ3-2  EQ4+1 EQ5+5

I use these on my T5 ...Try these for CMP. Threshold Offset -13   Ratio Gain +3  Gain Offset +3.

This is worth a read as it helps to understand sound settings better...NOT MY WORDS but copied off another article.

My opinion is that boosting all kind of bands isn't a real solution for a better sound. Those kind of eq settings are set by most people because people's perception is that a louder signal is a better signal.

So boosting EQ values with very large values may seem better but actually it makes the sound worse, due to the fact that the headroom of the signal will be filled completely with unwanted signals. For instance a 10 db boost on 32hz is not a really good solution, most speakers aren't capable of playing signals below 30hz (unless you are using subwoofers), so in that case you destroy a lot of your headroom by boosting signals which you can't even hear. The end result will be that your total sound signature will be a muddy mess. By cutting sounds below 30 hz you will create headroom for the other frequencies that you can hear, which will result in a much more detailed bass presence for instance.

I analysed the output of the Genos in my studio, i saw that the flat EQ response had two problem area's ,one area lies below 32hz and one problem is a small default EQ boost on 480 hz. I've solved that in the settings in my screenshot below. It creates a different sound then you would normally have but in my opinion it gives you a more transparant and more detailed sound to start with.

I totally agree with the previous posters that everyone should modify the start settings to their own liking, but really, only boosting all kind of EQ bands isn't a real good solution. So depending on your speaker setup you can do all kind of tweaks,but try not to only boost area's but also try to cut some area's to keep the headroom to an acceptable level and just increate the volume of he sound instead of increasing the volume by boosting till 10 db of bands.

Here are my settings, maybe someone can use those as a starting point, but if you are happy with the EQ gold settings, then of course keep those...
NOT SHOWN but if any member remembers who did this article it would interesting to obtain the settings.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 10:53:09 AM by Graham UK »
DGX670

The following users thanked this post: wersianer

Offline Ray

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 01:31:44 AM »
Thank you Graham for the info. Ray.

Offline Ray

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 05:00:10 AM »
Being new to the Clavinova, I want to get the base settings correct. Perhaps I should leave them as they are on delivery, I realise the sound and EQ adjustment is a variable according to taste. I appreciate help given so far. But I need a “book for dummies” on this one. Please can someone post screen shots of suggested EQ and Compressor settings. The 809 has a couple of pages for each. Example, Compressor has compression, texture, output. Then five others, from natural to punchy, Next page for EQ I guess Master for overall, then two options, Q and Gain, I guess leave alone the Q, and what suggested options for gain, 5 dials left to right., finally the five band flat to bright. Screen shots or detailed options would be gratefully welcome, or, as I said earlier, just leave it as delivered. Thankyou.

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 07:04:52 AM »
All keyboards out of the box are not giving their best, but they provide a starting point.

Also EQ & CMP needs small changes dependent on the sound sytem used.
DGX670

Offline Ray

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 08:47:38 AM »
As my earlier posting, the naming of these settings are different on each instrument, EG., threshold offset, ratio Gain, gain offset are not called that on Clavinova, this is my point, I would like someone to clarify and help me with these settings please, thank you.

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 10:34:43 AM »
RAY. I can fully understand your frustration. Myself contacted Yamaha UK Support and although I received a reply it told me nothing.

EQ & CMP setting is a little like asking. Do you like your coffee Weak or Strong...Black or White...Sugar or not.

I have tried a number of suggested settings on this Forum and find most are not to my liking sound wise.

Yamaha have provided you with a starting point so play altering these in small amounts to see what you like and SAVE.
You can easy revert back to default settings.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 12:10:50 PM by Graham UK »
DGX670

The following users thanked this post: Ray

Offline Kenneve

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 11:01:41 AM »
I think we need to take a step back with the issue of EQ settings.
The aim of any sound reproduction setup, is to recreate a  sound in your room, as close as possible to the original live version.
It matters not, whether we are talking about your favourite Hi-Fi system,a Clavinova or indeed any keyboard/amp combination, the aim is the same.
Generally speaking, the more expensive the the setup, the less user adjustment is required to achieve that aim.

Manufacturers such as Yamaha, go to great lengths to ensure that the frequency response of their equipment is flat/level throughout the entire audio frequency range, whether it be the extreme low bass sounds,  or up to the high treble notes and i believe, with the CVP800 series pianos, this aim is largely met.

Any adjustment away from the makers standard setup is really only necessary to suit music room acoustics and personal choice.
Room acoustics are influenced, in the case of high frequencies, by carpets and soft furnishings, and low frequencies, by room size and shape, oblong is better than square, with the instrument located against  the short wall.
However, very few of us have the luxury of choosing room shape or even position within the room, hence the need for some form of equalisation.

In my case with my CVP805, I run with:- 1. Mixer/Master page, Comp = Natural, EQ = Flat, (the default setting) when on speakers.   2. Comp Output = 77, EQ = Flat, when using Sennheiser headphones.   3.Comp = Natural, EQ = Bright, when using Yamaha headphones, but as I said at the start, its all a matter of personal choice.  It should not really be necessary to adjust intermediate frequencies.

Moving on, if you find that certain voices in a particular style  are overpowering, eg strings are louder than piano, then adjustment should be made using the Balance page and/or Mixer page, Panel and/or Style settings.
I'm about 5 weeks into ownership of my 805 and i'm liking better each day ;D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 09:21:32 AM by Kenneve »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 01:01:47 PM »
Yes the CVP 809, will be much more powerful than a keyboard and will usually be set up to your room
requirements as speakers are totally different and designed to give the best possible sound all round.
  Maybe you just need to adjust some volumes.

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 03:52:19 PM »
I have two Cops, and have not done anything to either. The only exception to this (covered in a separate thread) was the problem with low output to headphones. My technician felt this was a design issue, and increases the compressor setting a little to compensate. This worked perfectly.   Because they are pretty solid pieces of furniture in themselves and have large speakers. I suspect that the factory settings are pretty good. Probably someone who is picky could play around with the settings, but I think they sound great as they come, and have never felt any need.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Ray

Offline Ray

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 12:56:49 AM »
Thank you to members whom replied to my EQ. query. It seems like it is best to leave the settings basically the same as factory set, unlike changes users enter on the Genos, as the Clavinova have the different speakers. One last thing though, being an older player, and older people whom listen to me, a small reduction in the top end is recommended. Could someone please tell me what controls( dials) in EQ or Compressor to use and set to, just to take back a little top end. Many thanks. Ray.

Offline Kenneve

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 09:35:18 AM »
Hi Ray
Being an older player myself (wrong side of 80), i'm a bit surprised that you think the top end response needs to be turned down a shade.
It is a well known fact, that the high frequency end of a persons hearing range tends to fall off with age, which would normally require an increase in top end output to compensate, rather than a decrease.
Anyway, if you really think that is necessary, then may I suggest changing the Master EQ setting to 'Mellow' which will reduce the high frequency output, that your looking for.

Offline Ray

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 10:27:00 AM »
I forgot to mention I saw your posting under “Thoughts on new Clavinova”, with a screen shot, could you post your screen likewise with settings. I would like your setting suggestions through the speakers, not headphones. Thankyou.

Offline Kenneve

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 07:11:24 PM »
When playing my 805 on the speakers, I use what I believe to be the default setup as shown in photos 1 & 2. Compressor 'Off' & 'Natural', EQ set 'Flat'
If you need any more treble than that I would recommend changing the EQ from 'Flat'to 'Bright' as in photo 3.
As far as i can tell, it doesn't seem to make much difference at these basic levels whether the Compressor is On or Off,
I can only hear a difference when using headphones and I need Compressor 'On' and the 'Output control wound up to 77.

As an aside it might useful for you to give your thoughts on the 809 and why you chose that particular model over and above the 805,
maybe as an addition to my 805 post, or start a new post.
I look forward to your thoughts
Regards Ken.

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2020, 11:46:55 AM »
Dear friends,

I own a CVP 309PE in mint conditions.

I've done a very intensive work to tweak, mainly on styles that are very different now, comparing to the original, sounding more realistic and smooth (less invasive). I did the same on the many styles I added, thank to the 2 USB ports that offer an indefinite space for saving data.

Among various tweaking, initially I devoted a lot of time to look for the best equalization, of course to my taste and expectations. At the end of that search, I finally found that the FLAT Eq is the best to respect the beautiful nuances of the on board sounds. IMHO is also a question of getting familiar with the sounds; the problem being that every time I buy a keyboards (I had so many) I probably still have in mind the "color" of sound I was familiar with previous keyboard.

I must also say, that later on I bought a pair of Yamaha HS8 powered monitors (that I normally use together WITH the CVP audio system), not to get a louder sound, but to distribute the sound on more speakers (HS8 has huge high quality speakers). The result is amazing in term of audio quality and space feeling. Also in this case (additional audio) after many tests, I decided that no Eq changes was the best solution.

Ciao :)

Angelo, Roma
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.