Author Topic: Registrations and Odd Problem  (Read 2632 times)

Offline stephenm52

Registrations and Odd Problem
« on: February 27, 2020, 10:57:53 PM »
I understand that some SX900 users have found using registrations from other Yamaha arrangers do not work properly.  I’m have an strange problem, I’m rebuilding registrations and using the onboard styles, they all seem to work as expected.  I have a custom style for “Bad Leroy Brown”.  I set a registration for it and it works as expected i.e. hit the registration button and it chooses the custom style, it may work initially but sometimes after shutting down the SX900 then restarting it the registration does not pick the style and instead remains on the previous style chosen by another registration.   This problem has also happened with midi files I have stored on a USB.   Worth mentioning to is my registrations  are saved to a USB stick.    Anyone else have this problem?
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Registrations and Odd Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 11:11:10 PM »
I understand that some SX900 users have found using registrations from other Yamaha arrangers do not work properly. <

This is not correct.

I’m have an strange problem, I’m rebuilding registrations and using the onboard styles, they all seem to work as expected.  I have a custom style for “Bad Leroy Brown”.  I set a registration for it and it works as expected i.e. hit the registration button and it chooses the custom style, it may work initially but sometimes after shutting down the SX900 then restarting it the registration does not pick the style and instead remains on the previous style chosen by another registration.   This problem has also happened with midi files I have stored on a USB.   Worth mentioning to is my registrations  are saved to a USB stick.    Anyone else have this problem?

This is a common problem and has been addressed many, many times.

When a registration doesn't load an external file, it means it can't find it. When it can't find it, it does nothing (ie, leaves the old style, midi, etc. in place).

To fix it, you need to:
1. Load the file manually.
2. Re-memorize your registration.
3. Save the file.

Note that you will get lots of mostly unhelpful replies to this, just like the other threads. Some will try to blame it on the keyboard, but it's not important why it happens. In every case, it's operator error. The only solution is the one I've identified -- re-memorize the registration.

If you want to know there the registration is looking for your file, post it here, and we'll examine it for you.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 11:36:00 PM »
Fred,

Regarding the statement this is not correct.  I’ve talked to a very reliable dealer who mentioned that to me.  I trust this man enough because of his years of experience not only as a dealer but a musician who uses Yamaha arrangers.  No need to debate it just mentioning where I heard that.

Regarding your second thought I have reloaded the files manually and rememorized the registration, saved it only to have it happen time and again. Some of these I’ve reworked 4 or 5 times.   I’ve NEVER had this problem with my Genos, s970, s910, Tyros2, 4 and 5.  Unless I’m having an older age DUH moment I find it baffling.  At some point when I have a moment and find another problem registration I will post it but as of this moment I have corrected the ones that were a problem.   Today in an effort to correct this once and for all I created a new “blank” registration at the SX900 and will use that as a base to make new registrations or correct problem ones.  Thank you for your feedback I realize you are well versed in the creation of registrations.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Paula

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 12:04:52 AM »
I think I may of had that problem at one time and then realized I was using the same style for several songs and not renaming each style differently, again I dont know , when I did that it seemed to confuse the Reg,
            Paula
You Tube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1xEYzY5g_0Nd5G9TkMY6mA/videos
Genos 1,Tyros 4 and Bose S1 Pro, Bose L1 Mod 2 w/tonematch
PSR S970

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 11:44:20 AM »
Paula, Thanks for the feedback.  So far starting with a new blank registration seems to have solved the problem, time will tell.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 03:42:49 AM »
Hi Stephen,
you haven’t accidentally moved the style?

I noticed I was having problems yesterday.
I’ve been putting together a style for somewhere in time.
I didn’t want to lose what I was doing so I saved style, plus registrations, on 2 USB sticks plus user.
Sort of started to lose track a bit. On a couple of occasions , I thought I had actually saved the registrations, but realised , that the message to overwrite the existing file , hadn’t popped up, so it hadn’t saved.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 11:42:02 PM »
Hi Stephen,
you haven’t accidentally moved the style?

I noticed I was having problems yesterday.
I’ve been putting together a style for somewhere in time.
I didn’t want to lose what I was doing so I saved style, plus registrations, on 2 USB sticks plus user.
Sort of started to lose track a bit. On a couple of occasions , I thought I had actually saved the registrations, but realised , that the message to overwrite the existing file , hadn’t popped up, so it hadn’t saved.

Rikki,  As far as I know I did not move the style but that’s not to say I accidentally moved it and was not aware that I did.    I decided to create a new start up registration for starters I also created a new blank registration and decided to start rebuilding my registrations that were a problem.   The styles that were giving me problems I have now loaded into the user area ( there’s not that many).   Odd though after creating another new blank registration and adding the midi files that were giving me problems all seems well. 

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks