Author Topic: I bought a keyboard!!  (Read 2688 times)

3dc

I bought a keyboard!!
« on: February 27, 2020, 04:13:45 PM »
Yes I am still alive and I bought a keyboard!! ;D ;D
I bought a keyboard, I bought a keyboard, I bought a keyboard, .... oh man I am happy like a little kid.  ;D ;D
I was going straight for PSR-SX700 but I soon realised this a complete overkill for newbie like me. Where is middle C anyway?  ;D ;D
So I picked Yamaha PSR-E463.
BTW: I was suprised on the quality of this little gem and no YouTube video can give proper justice. 6W only but way better compared to 6W of any CASIO CTX models IMHO. I must say CASIO is a no go for newbies. Yes its attractive and the price is competitive but that's about it. Not to mention the menues! I was suprised to learn Yamaha gives two years warranty while CASIO gives the standard 1 year.  So naw I have to figure out where is the power button of this little beast. Any tutorials on this? ;D ;)
P.S. Wish me luck on my learning process.  ;) 

Offline Toril S

Re: I bought a keyboard!!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 05:32:17 PM »
Congratulations!!! Wonderful to read this happy post! Have fun😀❤️❤️❤️
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Genos!

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 01:47:31 AM »
Any tuts? Why, of course! GoogTube's got you covered:

https://youtube.com/results?search_query=Yamaha+PSR-E463+tutorials

I was intrigued by this little beast for many reasons!
Congrats on your purchase and newly found "lack of sleep". 😂
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 01:51:32 AM by Genos! »

3dc

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 06:04:34 AM »
Thanks guys! Lack of sleep is not a problem since I feel young again and back to primary school. ABCDEG...aaaaand repeat again!  ;D ;D
Anyway its one thing to see people play music keyboards effortlessly and completly different thing if you have to learn to play them. So many rules, so many options and so many cords. Coming from computer graphics, music is a completly different beast to grasp and understand. I admire you guys! Well with daily practice and in 10-20 years I will be a pro like you guys.  8) ;D 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 06:06:42 AM by 3dc »

Online Duurduur

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 09:30:49 AM »
{Well with daily practice and in 10-20 years I will be a pro like you guys}

Well with your age now after 10-20 years you still be much younger than most of us here.

Regard Ruud
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463
Logitech Z623 Speakersystem

Offline SciNote

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 05:22:20 PM »
Congratulations on the new keyboard!  I think you'll find the PSR-E463 to be very versatile for the price.  And the jump from computer graphics to music may not be quite so far as you might think, as there is quite a bit of math hidden in music theory.  A couple examples...

1.  Computer programming makes use of the binary system, where numbers are expressed using only 0's and 1's.  With a binary number, each successive digit, going from right to left, has a value that is the next greater power of two.  So, for digits that are a 1 (not a 0), when converting it to decimal, the right most digit has a value of 1, then the next digit to the left has a value of 2, then the next digit has a value of 4, then the next has a value of 8, then 16, then 32, and so on.  Well, with keyboard organs, the octaves are often expressed as "footages", relating to approximately how tall a pipe would be on a pipe organ to make a particular pitch, and these are also expressed as powers of two for octaves, where a 1 foot setting is usually the highest pitch, a 2 foot setting is an octave lower, then a 4 foot setting is another octave lower, and an 8 foot setting is yet another octave lower, and so on.

2.  The construction of scales and the musical keys follow a certain mathematical progression.  Notes of a scale are a certain number of keys apart, depending on the type of scale, such as major or minor.  And with musical keys, each addition of a sharp or a flat changes the key by a value of a fifth.  So, with major keys, the key of C has no sharps or flats, but the key of G has one sharp (G is a fifth above C).  Go up another fifth, to the key of D, and that is two sharps, and so on.  Going the other way, from C, go down a fifth, and you have the key of F, which is one flat.  Go down another fifth, to the key of Bb, and you have two flats, and so on.

And yes, while the Casio does have some impressive features and good sound, it is buried under a complex array of menus.  And I saw a CTX-5000 in a music store last week -- their top line portable keyboard -- and the feel of the keyboard was very "plasticky", where I could hear that kind of plastic-tinny sound coming from the keys itself as I tried it out.  Maybe it was just a well-worn display model, but I definitely prefer the Yamaha key feel.

Feel free to ask any questions about either your keyboard or music theory on this site!
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline jondav

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 08:05:34 PM »
I have both a 770 and a casio ctk6200. obviously there is quite a difference in price, £200 for the Casio, £740 for the 770, least it was when I bought them. For the price the Casio is quite a decent keyboard, the string section though seems a touch raspy and tinny, when compared to the 770, what I have noticed, is that arpeggios can be played on the left section on the Casio, but as far as I can see they cant be played, on the  left , on the 770, unless Ihave missed something.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 08:39:24 PM »
That is right.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page