Author Topic: PSR-E463, ASIO driver and audio interface  (Read 3995 times)

3dc

PSR-E463, ASIO driver and audio interface
« on: February 28, 2020, 10:41:45 PM »
I tried Steinberg USB OR ASIO driver but its not working properly in my DAW. It recognizes my E463 keyboard as "Digital Keyboard" on my PC and that's about it. It receives inputs properly but it also sends them back to the same source, that is to E463 speakers. So I am getting some distorted sound out of my E463 while playing. You can't redirect the output to headphones on my PC. After some online research I learned that:
"Windows audio applications can only use one ASIO device at a time, so under ASIO you won't be able to use your audio interface and speakers at the same time from Reaper." Funny thing is you can do that if you are using Reaper native WaveOut driver. The problem is everybody uses ASIO driver for recording. Even Reaper recommends this particular driver over WaveOut. Anyway I give up.

I will try my luck with dedicated audio interface. How do I connect my Yamaha PSR-E463 keyboard to my AUDIO INTERFACE for audio and midi recording since the only option out is trough USB cable to PC (HOST) or E463 headphones output?

Thanks for help guys. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 10:45:55 PM by 3dc »

SeaGtGruff

Re: PSR-E463, ASIO driver and audio interface
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 10:57:37 PM »
Are you on Windows 10? If you are, you should be able to select where you want the computer to send the audio output. In the bottom right corner of the Windows Task Bar, in the Notifications area just to the left of the Quick Launch or System Tray area, click on the little speaker icon that lets you adjust the volume and you should see a downward-pointing arrowhead that lets you drop down a list of available audio outputs (if there are two or more; if there's only one, the arrowhead won't be there). If you have headphones plugged into your computer, you should be able to choose between Digital Keyboard, your headphones, and-- assuming your computer has speakers connected-- your computer's speakers.

3dc

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 11:24:36 PM »
This happens only when I am using Reaper DAW. My keyboard works fine with my PC.
The problem is that in Reaper DAW I have to mute the track I am going to use for recording to get rid of distorted sound. When using Reaper native WaveOut driver I don't have to mute recording track and the sound is crystal clear while playing and recording. Apparently this Steinberg ASIO USB driver is made only for one device and one task at time to ensure best latency. 

That's way I will try my luck with dedicated or external audio interface. But I am not sure how to connect my E463 to audio interface since this keyboard has only USB to HOST and headphones output. I see now that some people use headphones stereo output from keyboard to connect to the interface.

Anyway thanks for help. 

Offline panos

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 07:18:40 AM »
Hi 3dc,
I am also kind of confused about all the connections between a pc and a keyboard.
I am using ASIO to fool around sometimes with sounds from FL studio.
I am connecting the usb cable to the pc and I am listening through the headphones that are connected to the pc.
As for the keyboard's speakers, I just turn the volume down to zero so I won't hear a sound from the psr.
The real amateur way  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 07:24:48 AM by panos »

Genos!

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 05:14:33 PM »
It sounds to me that possibly you have a better setup than I do... I don't know, but something tells me that you are using the ASIO driver because of your keyboard and you have the best of both worlds (audio and midi [both] over USB).

If that is the case, you might have looping issues with how you have set up Reaper...

Note: Now I am going to have to take a look at your manual and see what's up.  ;)

Notes:

Important!  If you are using a DAW with this instrument, set the Audio Loop Back (page 69) to OFF.

Page #47: It appears that you can send and receive both midi and audio over the USB cable. I wish Yamaha was this smart when they designed the Genos.

You've got it made and don't require anything more than what you already have with no additional cables required!

If you are still having trouble setting up Reaper let me know, but it should be straight forward AS LONG AS Audio Loop Back is turned OFF. Otherwise you will have an audio feedback loop, and could possibly mess up some equipment.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 06:03:10 PM by Genos! »

3dc

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 06:32:03 PM »
Genos! you are not Genos! You are in fact GENIUS! It works perfectly.  ;D ;D

I suspected audio looping but I was looking in the wrong place with wrong keywords all over internet. The irony is I would never thought about that SIMPLE option in my E463 even if I had read the manual 10 times. To advanced for me obviously.  ;D ;D
But thanks to PROS like you this problem is now solved. My E463 and Reaper are now best friends.  ;D ;D

Thanks again for your help!