Author Topic: Yamaha sx700 firmware update wish list  (Read 7600 times)

Jabran.jibbi

Yamaha sx700 firmware update wish list
« on: February 26, 2020, 06:33:56 PM »
Hi everyone
I bought my yamaha sx700 a month ago and em seriously very happy with this little beast but i wish that yamaha update its firmware and bring it to Korg Pa series keyboards seriously korg pa series got very good os.
In my wish list i want these changes in upcoming firmwate update
Custom drum kit that can be saved
On board sampling
Detail voice editing
Piano roll editor( i know it wont happen ever)
Undo button while creating styles or multi track recording
There should be mid frequency knob in eq section
Please i request all to share their wishes so that Yamaha can fulful out wishes hahahahaha
Thanks Yamaha in advance

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 06:36:05 PM by Jabran.jibbi »

Offline Joe H

Re: Yamaha sx700 firmware update wish list
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 07:33:29 PM »
Hi everyone
I bought my yamaha sx700 a month ago and em seriously very happy with this little beast but i wish that yamaha update its firmware and bring it to Korg Pa series keyboards seriously korg pa series got very good os.
On board sampling
Detail voice editing
Please i request all to share their wishes so that Yamaha can fulful out wishes hahahahaha
Thanks Yamaha in advance

I doubt you see any of those proposed upgrades on the sx keyboards except for the first one.

Custom drum kit that can be saved (that's probably possible)

On board sampling (you will special hardware for that... not possible with a firmware update)

Detail voice editing (you can do that with StyleMagic software)

Piano roll editor( i know it wont happen ever) (StyleMagic has a decent Piano Roll editor that will let you so many things)

Undo button while creating styles or multi track recording (The Piano Roll editor in StyleMagic has an UNDO function)

There should be mid frequency knob in eq section (That's not going to happen because the arranger doesn't support 3 Frequencies for EQ)

Joe H
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:03:30 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline daleSP

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 09:54:14 PM »
I would love to see the “External Controller” feature in the Midi templates so that we can use external midi controllers to their full potential with these SX keyboards. This option is available in the Tyros and Genos keyboards.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 12:02:58 AM »
You can create one if you understand MIDI well enough.  The keyboard WILL respond to an external controller if you know how to program the controller and Receive MIDI on the arranger.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline daleSP

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 03:34:34 AM »
There are two problems I have encountered creating a workaround to the lack of "External Controller" support in the PSR S.. series of keyboards.

1) The "External Controller" feature of the Tyros/Genos keyboards provides a mapping between midi Note/CC commands received and the assigned keyboard function, e.g., turn on "Talk" on receipt of a midi note C3.

Many of the keyboard functions (see Genos Reference manual pg 149-150) do not have documented internal midi sysex commands so it's not possible to create a external mapping capability to mimic the "External Controller" support of the Tyros/Genos keyboards. So there is an information gap here.

2) I am not aware of any generally available hardware midi controller which can be programmed to send mid sysex commands (even if the keyboard's internal midi sysex commands were known). These controllers normally send midi note/CC/PC commands not sysex commands.

As an experiment, I placed midi translation software between the controller and the keyboard (controller -> midi translation software -> keyboard) so that midi note/CC/PC messages are translated to the appropriate midi sysex commands for functions that are documented (e.g., Intros, Mains, Endings). This works, however, this still leaves a large number of keyboard functions of the PSR S keyboards which cannot be controlled by an external midi controller.

My purpose for adding this "External Controller" function to this wishlist thread is to have Yamaha spare the SX700/900 users (who are all not midi proficient) the effort of implementing a workaround which would still not be complete as the same function in the Tyros/Genos keyboards. A firmware update with this functionality would surely help those users with external midi controllers easily and better integrate with their keyboards.

There are many other features/functions of the Tyros/Genos keyboards which differentiate them from the PSR S line. I am not sure that this "External Controller" feature should be one of these differentiators, especially in 2020 but ..... I don't work for Yamaha's marketing dept :-)

I am not even sure that this forum/thread is the proper place for "Feature Requests" but it is said that Yamaha monitors these forums so here's hoping that they are listening. No harm in asking.

My other workaround would be to buy a Genos but I like being married :-)
Dale

The following users thanked this post: Keyboard Master

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 05:36:17 AM »
I understand your dilemma.

There is a very pricey option for your need.  I have one of these Peavey PC1600x MIDI controllers.  You can write ANY MIDI message including sysex strings.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-PC1600X-Midi-Controller-Latest-Version-Refurbished-w-Warranty/164063576892?hash=item2632f3833c:g:dp0AAOSwQOpeOO~C

Behringer also makes a similar controller with faders and knobs. There is a USB version and a MIDI 5-pin DIN interface version.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Behringer-BCF2000-B-CONTROL-FADER-USB-MIDI-Controller-Motorized-Faders-BCF-2000/114029078164?epid=154266036&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item1a8ca9a694:g:EbgAAOSw7NVeAPs5&enc=AQAEAAACUBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qX98DByGZC2RGfXFLi%2BiD5JvKNf%2FJOfC4UbiVJsMeMoio%2BMIZn%2F7pGTk0nD6gRU8PdH9f2RY0CNgIRk%2BUYarXrtPPnvknzzvFWKwp07URjGLeFEdHr2xgsxUG72QDMBCHTBWxqeRa8MTfEGlmU9pXYQRQANFuqHHZ%2BuTqIeropXS5kh347eJILWX4LC6rPCVjintWULjqgPBF51DoeyQEDqnNrZLrlR3QsGCWaPaQ7PNK81vy23WooxXYzWrnE%2BRheX4H7zYy3956hzfXYNaxUVO4SnPsDyfvQ3dmzdNmLT9xE3AtIvlU8cqBOTWWG1MUlehoou0CDqyqKuK2%2FnJwkg0JPFSd5VwygR6fPqI9k9qZuwg0vQdsmI4u4UwJCPsO3gfIoGilXfH0X7i7chRgJIUozykRxa1E9b37EZBzZXm%2FMHy4tCREnCoXUH%2FRhX%2Fewjuic5FLq4Hoqj8O3zvOPF7bFshCGLM7KFEIs6la6cavWzWgSnqwYnPV%2B7pTNN7h40xMrpARqFPVMfdTZL%2BtSoWQli%2FtC82JrkFawGv%2Fj0g1MLFxs4xUzSiZPBw5BclWZxanS3SR7nwJUEwyD4m6wqEGamD7l6%2FhbINNvKZHWZ3uCHGYRDblj98Ovw5GBGx488E%2BVd5L%2FBKSOp%2FE7aeU2pwhDg4fDqBVXZBOkQr6RRV8heWWl5dCLotkCagBd%2ByLMU4Z0cYFICuuMSJacknxxEx27HD6dhQFEbh%2FNWbjSkvr6KKAvXXvNnyYBp4MiNezI%3D&checksum=11402907816439b8bb39065d454683a2e98f52918b37

Joe H

Offline daleSP

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 06:33:50 AM »
Hi Joe: Thanks for the info.

The Peavy looks nice but, as you said, it's pricey especially just for the Sysex capability alone. 
I currently have a Behringer X-Touch for DAW and X18 mixer control. Unfortunately, it's not programmable.

It's the FCB1010 foot controller that I would like to get working completely with the SX900 but it has no sysex capability.
Oh well, it's the software bridge for me until (or if) Yamaha answers my prayers.

Much appreciated.

Offline voodoo

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 03:25:32 PM »
Dale,

yes, the Behriner FCB1010 does not have the option for Sysex commands.

But the Yamaha MFC10 (that is very similar to the FCB) is able to send Yamaha specific sysex commands, for example for style section control.

Uli
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 07:56:51 AM by voodoo »
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Enildo

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 07:45:03 PM »
Hi everyone
On board sampling
Detail voice editing
Thanks Yamaha in advance

How about putting on the list the possibility to record styles using the sustain pedal. I don't know why that is not possible yet.

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

andy_v

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 03:50:40 PM »
How about putting on the list the possibility to record styles using the sustain pedal. I don't know why that is not possible yet.

Enildo

I think it's because you could record a sustain "on" message in one bar of a section, and the corresponding "off" in another subsequent bar, but then, when playing back that section, you could switch to another section at the end of the bar with the "on" message", and never get to the "off" message. Then every note played back on that particular channel would keep sustaining until you happen to move to a section with another "off" message in it! I suppose they could just write a fail-safe into the style engine, to issue an "off" message on all channels at the start of all sections though...  :-\
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 04:30:40 PM by andy_v »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 04:12:50 PM »
One thing I would like to see added to the sx700 and sx900 is the option to assign the foot pedal to a Live Control knob.  In other words, we could use the foot pedal for real-time variation of a Live Control parameter instead of the knob itself.  This would free up our left hand to play chords and could add a serious dynamic to our playing.

Examples would included: R1/R2 Volume, Filter, Resonance, arp Velocity, Arp Unit Multiply, Arp Gate Time.  There are many more possibilities of using a foot pedal for Live Control. This could be a powerful new function!  I'm surprised Yamaha hasn't thought of this already.

;)

Joe H

The following users thanked this post: hans1966, Keyboard Master

Offline voodoo

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2020, 09:45:33 AM »
Hi Joe,

I agree. The parameters for real time control should be made similar for all types of input. Now they are very different für Assignable (pedal/button/rotary control), live controls (knobs, faders), mod wheel and external midi control (only Tyros/Genos).

However, you can link a pedal to modwheel. There you have the parameters filter and volume that can be used by pedal. Resonance and arp parameters are not available this way.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2022, 08:51:30 AM »
I agree with this. And another thing i also prefer is to add the rest of the Vocal Voices too. just like the sx900 already has but just add them in the sx700 with a firmware update.