Author Topic: Posting demo songs  (Read 5970 times)

Posting demo songs
« on: February 25, 2020, 03:26:52 PM »
Hi everyone. After years of being a member of this forum and shooting my mouth off on various topics, some have asked if I actually play :). Well, I do and have finally decided to post a short demo. Problem is, my mp3 exceeds the 1.5 MB size limit for the demo area. My demo is about 1.92 MB.

I bought a software program called HALion 6. It has a huge assortment of sounds and voices - on the order of 4,900! I used the Genos keyboard as a MIDI controller in the Cubase Artist 8 DAW. The piano and bass parts are played using the HALion 6 VST instruments. The rhythm line was supplied by the Genos. I'm slowly learning all the tricks to signal path routing so I can use the HALion 6 program and Genos together. That's the best of both worlds!

Any ideas on how I can post my demo? Thanks.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Janus

Re: Posting demo songs
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 03:46:32 PM »
Start a account on on box.com
You can park there your demo files
Make a share link after parking
copy the link and paste it in a message in this group

Gr.Jan

Genos!

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 03:50:29 PM »
Lower the mp3 quality, drop a chorus...  or, perhaps break it into two sections with two links.
I guess I'm looking forward to hearing something, Lee. I got the Genos Feb, 5 this year.

I use 192 Kb most of the time, but you can re-encode the MP3 file down to a bitrate of 128 Kb using audacity and it will be ok quality.

I don't use dropbox, or any third party storage outside of my control. I use a server from the owner I know from another forum, and I have no filesize limits or bandwidth caps. If you would like to know more I'm available via PM.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 05:25:53 PM by Genos! »

Janus

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 03:59:43 PM »
Lower the mp3 quality, drop a chorus...  or,  break it into two sections (preferred) with two links.

No one will lower te quality of their demo's
And break it in two also a bad idee
The downloader has to connect the 2 parts
nobody knows how to do that
A parking site is free and you have also a safe backup outside your computer

Gr.Jan

Roland

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 04:47:39 PM »
Hello Lee,

Hope all is well. I too find box.com perfect for sharing a few songs or any other file for that matter. If you're looking for a platform that is geared towards music and if you want to share it on that platform as well, then may I suggest to take a look at SoundCloud.

Have a super week.Cheers, Roland

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 04:51:04 PM »
I also really like SoundCloud.
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 04:59:11 PM »
The trouble I find with Sound Cloud is once your song stops then other songs from people you don't know play.
  Box is one nearly all of us use and works very well.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 06:05:39 PM »
Box.com is perfect. Then post in the song section😀😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 06:44:07 PM »
Thanks all! I'm somewhat amazed that we have a 1.5 MB cap. You can't really put much of a song together with such a small file size limit. I also understand that space costs money. I'll look into box.com and post back.

Stay tuned and thanks again...Lee
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 07:07:10 PM »
I just checked box.com and it's about $7 per month. I won't be uploading enough tunes to justify the price. Perhaps Sound Cloud?

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 07:40:40 PM »
I just checked box.com and it's about $7 per month. I won't be uploading enough tunes to justify the price. Perhaps Sound Cloud?

There are any number of file sharing services that are free fir a reasonable amount of space.

I don’t pay anything for my Box account, nor Google drive. You can upload lots without having to pay anything.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 07:51:51 PM »
Thanks, Fred.

I just uploaded my demo song to Google Drive. I have no idea how to allow access to it.

Genos!

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 07:58:20 PM »

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 08:01:58 PM »
It seems that to share my wave file, I need to post email addresses. That's the same as all the other sites. Can't I just point people to the folder using a link?

Genos!

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 08:12:33 PM »
You can point to the file using a link, I'm not sure about pointing to a folder.
I'm not a googledrive or onedrive or dropbox "owner", but I have used dropbox to get files from others.

There is an accordian dropdown with more help on how to share anonymously.
-- see "Share a link to the file" or "Share a file publicly".

This might also work for you and be a little easier:
https://www.dropbox.com/basic

edit: Here is information on sharing folders on GoogleDrive:
----> https://support.google.com/drive/answer/7166529

Here are some youtube videos on using GoogleDrive:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=googledrive
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 08:32:08 PM by Genos! »

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2020, 08:15:06 PM »
Okay, I think I know how to do this. All need to do is open the Sharable Link function in Google Drive. I did that. You can listen to my creation by using this link. Would someone please let me know if it worked?

I'll be sure to post more tunes in the correct part of the forum from here on. Meanwhile, the piano and upright bass parts were played by me. The rhythm was taken from the Genos, Acoustic Jazz. I applied very little quantization. That's just how I played it. I also didn't do any processing of the wave file, except for a bit of reverb. No compression or EQ. It's basically the raw finished waveforms. I hope you like it :)! Thanks.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OFmYt_QI7e0hB7IAnoxsALiEn-Wy9do5?usp=sharing

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2020, 08:20:12 PM »
Thanks, Genos!.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 08:29:56 PM »
Yes, it worked. Sounds great.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2020, 08:36:01 PM »
Thanks, Fred!

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2020, 08:39:53 PM »
The following link will explain the procedure for attaching files in comments, Lee.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,53000.0.html

You've already been given a lot of good advice, but I want to let you know that I use Microsoft OneDrive (5 GB free) as my online storage account.  I have much more data than 5 GB's stored in my account, so I pay $1.99 per month for a 100 GB service.  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2020, 09:00:34 PM »
Okay, thanks Roger. The explanation in the link makes perfect sense. Please feel free to move this post and delete all unnecessary answers to my question. Alternatively, I can re-post my song link in the appropriate part of the forum.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 09:03:20 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline keyplayer

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2020, 09:14:46 PM »
I really liked that Lee.
Pam

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2020, 09:35:03 PM »
Thanks, Pam! I did it just for you ;D.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2020, 09:38:14 PM »
Nice work Lee!

Rick D.

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2020, 09:40:17 PM »
Thanks, Rick. Hoping to do more. The music part is easy, having 30 years of stage experience. It's the software that's a killer ::).

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2020, 10:41:39 PM »
Lee,

I'm just the opposite, the tech comes easier for me. LOL!

Rick D.

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2020, 02:56:11 AM »
Great, Rick. We should combine our brains. Too bad modern medicine hasn't figured that out yet :)!

Offline markstyles

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2020, 06:15:53 AM »
Hi Lee:

You mentioned your song was a wave file?   You should mix it down or convert to an mp3..  They are significantly smaller, with a minimum of fidelity loss.  I use Logic Pro, it lets you mix down to AIF, WAVE, and/or mp3.    I would suspect that Cubase can do that also. 

There are sites that will give you more than enough space for a LOT of mp3's for free.

Janus

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2020, 07:40:07 AM »
It is better to upload it a a wave file
No need to let it stay forever
When you out of space remove he oldest uploads
Youtube is also possible
You can upload it als a audio video,  mp3 or wave
The screen is black but you can add lyrics or tekst
You got a lot of space on youtube
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 07:49:58 AM by Janus »

Offline jugge

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2020, 07:45:26 AM »
I usually export to both wave and mp3. It's good to have a wave copy if you need to do any additional editing later. The process for Cubase is explained here. https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artist/v9/en/cubase_nuendo/topics/export_audio_mixdown/export_audio_mixdown_r.html

I do the export to mp3 as a last step after the mixing and mastering process.

Best regards
/Jugge
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 07:55:58 AM by jugge »
Welcome to Yamaha Beats. Genos and MODX covers on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9yKCzqlOhkulwHFF6P-_Vw

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2020, 12:36:31 PM »
Thanks all. I posted my song as an mp3. I keep both on my computer. The original mixdown was in .wav format, which was about 10 times bigger than the one I posted :).

Offline Toril S

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2020, 01:46:18 PM »
I always post in mp3.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Mjm

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2020, 05:10:11 PM »
Nice walking bass line Lee. 🙂

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2020, 08:46:05 PM »
Thanks, Mjm. I'm working on my next tune - "A Sailboat In The Moonlight." It will feature my duet partner of 27 years on vocals and guitar. In fact, we're working on an entire album. It will take a while :)!