Author Topic: Genos Registration buttons  (Read 2940 times)

Offline Colin D

Genos Registration buttons
« on: February 24, 2020, 02:45:53 PM »
Hello,

I notice my Genos Registration buttons are fading, especially No 1.  I have contacted Yamaha, they are going to collect and replace the buttons.  Is there any guarantee the buttons wont fad as did the last ones?  The Tyros were sub surface and would never wear out,  does anyone know the status of this please,

Kind Regards

Colin
Previous, Technics E44, E66, U90, G7, GX7 G100, Tyros 2, Tyros 5, now Genos,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNozAL1Whf-t4TJY5wPK57Q

Genos!

Re: Genos Registration buttons
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 05:09:08 PM »
oh, my...

Screen protectors, and next we'll need button protectors...

Time to get out the scotch tape or clear enamel.

Offline panos

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 08:39:08 PM »
Hi Colin,
here is a discussion about the same problem with some fading reg letters that have been replaced free of charged by Yamaha:
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,48070.0.html

I would ask if they are willing to replace them free of charge if that happens again in the future.
Unless there is a button protector or something you could use.
Maybe on the next Genos it will be better to have new buttons that the printing is in the inside, to avoid the contact between the ink and all kinds of sweating fingers.

Offline soryt

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 09:37:05 PM »
Personally I find the build quality very poor for a premium keyboard, Tyros (5) was a lot better .
The Genos is way overpriced with this build quality, price of electronics isn’t that high .
I hope the next Genos is much durable, the Sx range is better build momentarily (except keys)

Soryt  :)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

The following users thanked this post: Colin D

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 10:51:46 PM »
I set up registration sequences for all my songs. This makes it so you don't have to touch the buttons only to make the registrations. The sequence is controlled by a pedal, and works great, keeping your hands free, and your numbers from wearing out. Some people were complaining about the Tyros 5 doing the same thing.
The only downside of the Genos is it's dust magnetism! Not so much on the black body, but on the keys themselves. Don't tell my wife but I actually do dust the keys daily! LOL!

Rick D.

The following users thanked this post: Colin D

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 11:23:18 PM »
Good answer, Rick but we should not be held liable or be forced to compensate for poor, cost-saving designs. I remind you that we must also use a one-cent piece of black cardboard on the display of a $6,000 keyboard all because Yamaha decided to NOT provide a decent light adaptive display for what many consider the most important part of the keyboard.

My Honda Odyssey is subject to the same incompetence. Sadly, Japan has developed the same "Don't give a darn" attitude as the rest of the world. I never thought I'd live long enough to see the Japanese do that. Prior to this, they were the example. Now, they're just as bad as the rest of us. Sad......
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 12:30:25 PM »
Go Point Lee!

But a lot of guys here seem to agonize over the small stuff. My motto is don't sweat the small stuff. I know, it's a lot easier said then done.

My suggestion was to give an alternative way to avoid wearing out your buttons.

Nothing is made that way it was when we were kids. Greed has taken over the world! Gone are the days when manufacturers took pride in their products and made them to last.

Rick D.

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 01:08:31 PM »
Fully agreed, Rick. I just hope the bean counters at Yamaha didn't take the same attitude toward the key bed as they did the buttons and display. To quote your solution, we'd all look pretty silly trying to play those 16th note triplets wth our feet on an external pedalboard. We might have to take our shoes off ;D!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline soryt

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 01:25:04 PM »
Fully agreed, Rick. I just hope the bean counters at Yamaha didn't take the same attitude toward the key bed as they did the buttons and display. To quote your solution, we'd all look pretty silly trying to play those 16th note triplets wth our feet on an external pedalboard. We might have to take our shoes off ;D!

I use the MFC 10 footcontroller for almost 20 Yearss ! , metal case , sturdy buttons and programmable  best quality product Yamaha have made  , so they discontinued  ???

:o
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 02:31:44 PM »
Lee,

I like your humor. LOL  ;D

Soryt, I also use an MFC-10 and agree with you. It is very well made, and also prevents button wear!  ;D

Rick D.