Author Topic: My new baby (SX900) has arrived!  (Read 5904 times)

Offline Enildo

My new baby (SX900) has arrived!
« on: February 24, 2020, 02:32:44 PM »
Hi, guys

I am very happy to have received my Sx900.
I realized that this is really a new instrument with a lot of good stuff and I promise to leave all my impressions about it here on the forum.
As I said in the title above, I'm half happy, because I'm not able to install the expansion packages.
I've tried in several ways, updating YEM, updating the firmware to 1.03 (which was already there), uninstalling all packs and reinstalling everything again, but the SX900 doesn't install. He is not installing even the packs of yamaha itself.
What is happening? Does anyone have the same problem?

I appreciate the help I can help.
Enildo

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 04:08:23 PM by Enildo »
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline EileenL

Re: My new baby (SX900) has arrived! But I'm half happy ...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 02:39:49 PM »
Have you installed your keyboard ID information into the YEM. This must be done before you try to install packs.
just press the Expansion button to see the packs already installed.

Offline Simone1972

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 02:47:58 PM »
Enildo,
I had the same issue at the beginning.
After several struggling, my solution was to change USB stick !!

Look at the recommended list (on the website) and select a USB 3.0 one.
Hopefully it will work for you also.

Good luck

Offline Enildo

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 03:02:15 PM »
Enildo,
I had the same issue at the beginning.
After several struggling, my solution was to change USB stick !!

Look at the recommended list (on the website) and select a USB 3.0 one.
Hopefully it will work for you also.

Good luck

Hi Simone,

What you say makes sense. Sometimes it tries to install but fails.
I will try to change the USB stick. I had never heard of this USB stick issue.
I hope that's it!

Thanks

Offline Enildo

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 03:41:38 PM »
I used an old USB stick that had (2.0) and formatted it on the keyboard itself, copied the installation PPI and everything worked out!
The problem really has to do with the pendrive.
Thank you very much Eileen and Simone !!! ;)

Now I can say that I am completely happy !!! ;D ;D ;D

Enildo

Offline hans1966

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 04:06:10 PM »
Hi Enildo, I congratulate you for your new Baby. You will have many hours of fun. I did it with mine, and I still have a lot to discover and learn in this powerful machine. a hug!!. Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline Enildo

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 04:07:46 PM »
Hi Enildo, I congratulate you for your new Baby. You will have many hours of fun. I did it with mine, and I still have a lot to discover and learn in this powerful machine. a hug!!. Hans

Thank you for your kindness Hans! ;)

Offline panos

Re: My new baby (SX900) has arrived!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 07:08:21 PM »
Hi Enildo,
all models sometimes may have a problem with some usb sticks not only when installing packs but also if you want to just use them as a usb memory as we normally do.

Here you can download a list with recommended usb sticks if you or somebody else with an SX wants to buy one in the future.
Much better possibilities that it will work fine with the keyboard that way.  :)
Scroll down to:
Other Downloads
Compatible USB Device List for PSR-SX900
https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/downloads.html

Offline Enildo

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 07:49:42 PM »
Hi Panos,

Thank you, I really appreciate your help. When I buy the next one, I’ll see that list first.

Enildo

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 08:26:21 PM »
I am glad that you now are completely happy, Enildo. Have fun with your new baby!  :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Enildo

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 08:58:53 PM »
My first impressions of the SX900:

01. The drum kits have improved a lot and the styles have been updated.
02. Some styles are a little low and others a little high for the left hand, requiring adjustments.
03. The keybed has improved a lot with the new keys.
04. The font size options, in the "Text Viewer", got worse. On the s975 it was a good size and showed 15 lines per screen. I tried all the options and none pleased me. When it is a good size it shows few lines, when it shows the 15 lines it is too small.
05. I liked Bluetooth a lot. I performed tests and it worked perfectly.
06. Joistick was a good change.
07. The box frame around the display should be bigger. Some functions, like "Home Shortcus", are very close to the frame making access difficult. They should have left a space of about 0.5 to 1.0 cm between the box and the display.
08. The display touch is of good quality.
09. Some sub-functions, such as "Style Pan / Volume", for example, could become a shortcut to the Assignable or Home Shortcuts buttons.
10. It could also be given the possibility to create our own shortcuts with the button "Direct Access" any button.
11. The Live Control knobs were better positioned than in the s70 / 75 line. I really liked the new functions that were added to them.
12. The time reset (Half bar fill) is very good. Note 10 for Yamaha.
13. Congratulations to Yamaha for the new Choir & Pad voices. made a huge change in styles and generated many new possibilities.
14. The Mega Voices "Choir", was also another great advance and increased the realism of the styles. I really enjoyed it!
15. Although the Mult Pads were more distant, I liked the exchange for OTS. OTS is an extension of Registration Memory and I approve of the change.
16. On the Style Control, Registration Memory, OTS and Multi Pad Control buttons, they improved in terms of reducing wear, due to the color, but were left without contrast with the keyboard case, making operation very difficult, especially when playing at night or if a light is blocking our vision. Even during the day it is difficult to see the letters or numbers of these buttons, which for me is a very negative point for the SX. The lights on each button should light up in the middle of the button showing the letter or number, to make it easier to see, especially at night.
17. The speakers are much better than the last line, s70 / 75.
18. Regarding the installation of the Packs (expansion kits), I found the system still a little slow, for a keyboard of the year 2019/20. The idea of ​​deleting or adding individual packs would be very welcome.
19. Yamaha could have put a light, or indication on the display, for when the Vocal Harmony was activated. I think it's a big setback that we don't have that little function. I think an operating system update could solve that.
20. The Dial button was very good but hidden inside the box.
21. Saving files such as Songs and Styles has now been simplified, because if the style is inside the pendrive, the system already takes you directly to the destination location. In the past PSRs lines it was very tedious, looking for the folder every time it was necessary to carry out any updates. Note 10 for yamaha!
22. Why didn't you create more icons for the main display? In the harmonica there is an accordion, in Whistle a flute.
23. The "enter" button (which works with the Dial), on the s975 when giving two quick touches, selected the file and directed to the main location. It is no longer possible.

I haven't tried everything yet. That's what I have to tell you for today. In addition, I am loving the keyboard and sleeping very badly in those early days! hehehehe

Enildo

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline Enildo

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 08:59:54 PM »
I am glad that you now are completely happy, Enildo. Have fun with your new baby!  :)

Thank you Toril, you are a loving person!

Enildo
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 09:04:38 PM by Enildo »

Offline hans1966

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 03:42:36 AM »
Hi Enildo, thanks for the detailed observation of this powerful machine. For my part, the only complaint I have had is the degradation of the AUDIO, by transposing + 1 + 2-1-2 (Wav / Mp3) as the technology advances and is NOT a cheap keyboard, I hoped that this would have been solved from the S950 When I presented the subject, they told me that the best thing I could do was record the transposed MIDI in Mp3. but they don't understand that there are song files in Mp3 that are not in MIDI format. After this I decided to try Adobe Audition on my computer and finally I could solve the Audio problem. on the other hand my keyboard arrived without the Bluetooth option. Fortunately I do not need it. My opinion is that Yamaha is in constant progress every day and there will surely be an important update for the SX series. Meanwhile you have to sit and play and enjoy. regards. Hans
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 03:49:48 AM by hans1966 »

Offline Enildo

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 10:00:53 AM »
Thank you Hans!

It is an excellent machine that as time passes has improved a lot and we are increasingly demanding new things from it. I thought it was strange that it came without bluetooth, the system update didn't solve it?

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 10:16:41 AM »

as advertised by yamaha, bluetooth is not available on all sx900 models. It seems that it is not known which countries are excluded. What I know is that on a German site (thomann) in the product specifications reference is made to bluetooth, while in Italy no mention in the product description. This would explain the fact that the price of the sx900 in Italy fluctuates between 1950 - 1750 euros (by the way I just ordered it at 1762 euros) I can't tell you why this difference ... but I don't expect to find bluetooth which I will not miss).

Offline Enildo

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2020, 11:29:36 AM »
as advertised by yamaha, bluetooth is not available on all sx900 models. It seems that it is not known which countries are excluded. What I know is that on a German site (thomann) in the product specifications reference is made to bluetooth, while in Italy no mention in the product description. This would explain the fact that the price of the sx900 in Italy fluctuates between 1950 - 1750 euros (by the way I just ordered it at 1762 euros) I can't tell you why this difference ... but I don't expect to find bluetooth which I will not miss).

Hello Aquilauno,

Interesting to know that. I just think it's a resource that is needed.

Did you know that it is possible to make a recording, on the keyboard itself, when you direct the sound through bluetooth?
I did this test and the recording was very good. With this in addition to you using bluetooth to play music, it is also possible to direct, for example, a karaoke and record the singer's voice with the microphone connected to the keyboard, without using a wire.
You can also use bluetooth to play a song (that you want to rehearse, for example) by recording it to the keyboard of a website or youtube, etc., without having to connect wires to the keyboard.
I recorded my voice with a youtube karaoke, very cool!

I found this feature very important and would hate it if my keyboard didn't have it. My SX was produced in Indonesia.

Enildo

Offline DerekA

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2020, 11:51:55 AM »
Bluetooth is a great feature, which is on SX900 and the new CVP-809 but missing from Genos! So I envy you that!

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 11:59:19 AM »
Excellent clarification ... it is always good to have something more than less. For me, however, who are beginner, all the functions already present are a considerable challenge ... especially if time is always short for the rhythms of life ...   ::)  however we hope it is present ...   :)

Offline Enildo

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2020, 03:56:25 PM »
For now I solved the problem of buttons that nobody sees anything.

Offline Enildo

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2020, 03:59:22 PM »
Now I can see.

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2020, 05:42:55 PM »
Hi Enildo...
but that's not fair ... do you have to tell us what you did? ;D
great job ... 

Offline Enildo

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2020, 09:59:07 PM »
Here is the revelation of the secret:
liquid paper+cloth!
I applied liquid paper on the buttons and let it dry and then removed the dry with a damp cloth. Sometimes it is necessary to do more than once to fill. It is necessary to wash the cloth a few times. It takes about 2 hours to complete everything. I was afraid to stain the buttons, but it doesn't. Everything went perfectly!
I used a very thin cloth, so as not to damage the buttons.

You can call me crazy now, hehehehe

Enildo

« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 10:01:47 PM by Enildo »

The following users thanked this post: ton37

Offline Toril S

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2020, 10:22:31 PM »
Creative you!!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Enildo

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2020, 11:02:28 PM »

Offline hans1966

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2020, 02:10:39 AM »
Here is the revelation of the secret:
liquid paper+cloth!
I applied liquid paper on the buttons and let it dry and then removed the dry with a damp cloth. Sometimes it is necessary to do more than once to fill. It is necessary to wash the cloth a few times. It takes about 2 hours to complete everything. I was afraid to stain the buttons, but it doesn't. Everything went perfectly!
I used a very thin cloth, so as not to damage the buttons.

You can call me crazy now, hehehehe

Enildo

Hi Enildo, I congratulate you for the feat with the buttons, you are very witty. As I said before my keyboard arrived without the option or Bluetooth tab, but I repeat I did not need it. I think I read on another topic related to the SX900, that someone suffered a small Inconvenient in the middle of the concert because his smartphone that was connected via bluetooth to the instrument, opened a call and was heard through the speakers of the same. I hope this does not happen to you, because you would spend an embarrassing moment!! ;D ;D I Was Only Joking. saludos. Hans

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 02:18:19 AM by hans1966 »

Offline Enildo

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2020, 02:22:16 AM »

Hi Enildo, I congratulate you for the feat with the buttons, you are very witty. As I said before my keyboard arrived without the option or Bluetooth tab, but I repeat I did not need it. I think I read on another topic related to the SX900, that someone suffered a small Inconvenient in the middle of the concert because his smartphone that was connected via bluetooth to the instrument, opened a call and was heard through the speakers of the same. I hope this does not happen to you, because you would spend an embarrassing moment!! ;D ;D I Was Only Joking. saludos. Hans

Thanks about the Hans buttons.
On bluetooth, it has the option (on / off) to turn off. I suggest that it be turned on only when needed.

Enildo

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2020, 08:13:16 AM »
Thanks Enildo,
the cloth seems to me of those used for glasses ... brilliant idea. Maybe that's why yamaha didn't think about it  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 08:15:01 AM by Aquilauno »

shuey

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2020, 12:34:44 AM »
That's ingenious