Author Topic: User memory full!  (Read 4423 times)

Offline Toril S

User memory full!
« on: February 23, 2020, 09:57:42 PM »
Hello friends :)
I have maybe 200 styles on the user memory of my S975. No expansion packs, just a couple of MiDI files, and now it is FULL.
The USB stick, I know, I know, I know :) But I am afraid of forgetting it on gigs, so I like to have important stuff on the keyboard.
I thought the 975 had much bigger memory than the 970?

Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Joe H

Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: User memory full!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 11:25:18 PM »
Hi Toril,

The User drive on both the PSR-S970 and the S975 is the same size, and is approximately 13 MB.

Although this is more than any previous PSR-S, or even Tyros models, it is still a relatively small amount of memory (your Tyros5 has only 6.7 MB although of course it also has a huge hard drive available)!

Although you say that you don't have any expansion voices installed in your S975 at the moment, if you do ever load any, although the wave samples used by those voices are loaded into the Expansion memory, a small amount of space is also required on the User drive for the voice parameters, so you may need to take this into account at some point.

You can connect the keyboard to a computer via USB and use Yamaha's 'MusicSoft Downloader' program to check everything on the User drive more easily than using the various filtered selection screens of the keyboard OS.

You will then see exactly what is using up the memory, whatever the file type.  There is presumably more than you think!

You should really think about setting up a USB drive as your main storage drive.  A small footprint drive of the type suggested by Joe H could be left in the keyboard all the time with little risk of damage to the keyboard or drive.  Although I personally would not trust drives bought from ebay as being genuine, drives from reliable sources are so inexpensive these days, so you could even get two of them and make a copy of the working drive to carry with you on gigs as extra security if you are really worried about forgetting the working drive.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 11:37:16 PM by tyrosaurus »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 11:42:40 PM »
Thanks John H and Ian!
I actually have a micro USB stick, I dug it out and will put it to use.
I have a bad habit of filling up everything, the big hard drive of the Tyros made me lazy :)
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 07:12:06 AM »
I've actually never really used the "user memory", because it is too small for most purposes. I've got a very compact 32 GB SanDisk, which only protrudes 4 mm from the keyboard, which is more than small enough to always leave it in there. It also makes transfering files and making backups with a PC way easier and faster then over USB MIDI. Once backupped, I also copy the content to a mini metal keychain USB drive (Corsair Voyager Metal 32 GB) which I always carry with me. I never had a USB drive fail, but it is safe to have a backup handy, especially when doing gigs.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

The following users thanked this post: Toril S

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 11:25:13 AM »
Thanks Robert. Yes, backup is essential!!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 01:31:58 PM »
Hi Toril,

I actually did forget my USB stick ONCE ...  ::)

I had taken my USB stick out of my keyboard and had it in my PC. I was transferring a couple of tweaked styles to my PC. Luckily the gig was only 5 minutes from my home.

I purchased a second USB stick that stays in my gig gear box at all times now. I also have since put 3 sets onto my keyboard (48 styles) 3 hours worth of playing, just in case the keyboard ever has an issue reading the USB slot.

I didn't use midi files but I do constantly use the USER area while building a new custom song style and can have up to 3 projects in progress at a time. I have never ran into a memory issue yet with my S950 keyboard. I keep several versions of a custom style in the user area as I am working on it, in case I make an error on the style. I can go back to the previous version of the style and not have to start all over again from scratch. 

Regards
Drake

« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 01:40:41 PM by DrakeM »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 03:31:01 PM »
Thanks Drake! Good idea to always have a USB stick in your gig bag, and some styles on the keyboard for emergancy use!!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 07:51:54 PM »
Expansion

PSR-S975     has 13 MB

Both instruments have 128MB expansion for audio styles.

The PSR-S970 has 512MB of expansion memory for voices, besides that the PSR-S975 has 768MB. This is the big thing make sense to consider which is chosen. With a bigger expansion memory, you could install good quality voice expansion pack, and that is the trend now.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 08:33:56 PM »
Thanks alanstechnical😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 12:43:41 AM »
I use a Verbatim 32 Gb USB which stays in the keyboard and I use it like I would a hard drive.
Now having two USB ports in the SX900 it makes life a lot easier. I only ever tend to use my User section as a work bench for editing things. When finished I transfer them to USB.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 10:29:08 AM »
Thanks Eileen😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.