Author Topic: Group Sing Alongs, Vocal Accmp, Rubato  (Read 4164 times)

Offline KeyboardEd

Group Sing Alongs, Vocal Accmp, Rubato
« on: February 19, 2020, 10:05:29 PM »
There are a lot of posts about playing rubato here. I have been searching and reading, but I'm still not clear at what can be done for real tempo flexibility while using a PSR style with Auto Accompaniment. I have had issues with this (rubato, vocal accompaniment) in the past.

I'm going to try out some keyboards and I'd like to see what I/they can do in this area. It's not a make or break situation, just an area I'd like to know more about.

This keyboard will be mostly for personal use. 'Gigs' are over but I do live in a retirement community and will most likely play in the club house. We have a lot of sing alongs. Being able to follow a singer's  "interpretation" of a song becomes important.

There are many comments about free styles but when searching I get 'Free (no cost) Styles' not free styles! I don't remember using free styles before. I have had moderate success with the limited set of ethereal styles.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. ...if I'm missing something please let me know.

Wish List for Future: A volume peddle that can be hooked to the tempo  ;)

Offline mikf

Re: Group Sing Alongs, Vocal Accmp, Rubato
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 11:39:33 PM »
You are correct, using style driven accompaniment when playing with group singing is not ideal. Most experienced keyboard players would play without a style, ie more conventional keyboard playing. You can use piano, electric piano or type organ voices across the full keyboard. The free styles might be ok for some things if you cannot cope with conventional two handed playing. 
Mike

Offline KeyboardEd

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 04:55:17 AM »
Thanks Mike. I agree, playing without a style when backing a singer (or group) is the best method.

Piano/keyboard is not my main instrument, trumpet performance was my major. I play piano just good enough to provide backing for a choir, singer, etc. but no one would want to hear me attempt the Bach Inventions ::)!

To me it seems empty after having had the full accompaniment of the arranger. However when the whole group joins in it's not a big thing, they are having fun and not really paying much attention.

This is just a want or wish, not a need. I was curious as to how others have approached the issue. Since I'll be making a decision on a new keyboard in the next few days I was just wondering. -Ed

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 11:58:56 AM »
The styles you talk about are called Free Play Styles and are very good at accompanying singers. There are quite a few available on Genos and the new SX900 and work very well.

Offline KeyboardEd

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 09:35:57 PM »
Thank you Eileen,

I've decided that unless a T5 or S9## comes along at a great price I'm 98% sure I'll get the SX900.

Whatever the free styles offer on the SX900 will have to do. I was just wondering if there was an arranger that could now play in a style and have a direct, eaiser way to do rubato, accel., ritard, etc.

Wishful thinking but if you don't ask...

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 03:53:59 AM »
Even a live band would have difficulty with that!
Mike

Offline Kenneve

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 10:15:48 AM »
Hi Guys
I seem to have become confused, again, or perhaps another senior moment!

I have found 7 Freeplay styles on my CVP805, but I note that they have all, according the 'Tempo bar', been written in 4/4 time, with tempos varying between 60 and 120 Bpm, regardless of the fact that they are played rubato.
Obviously they all work fine when playing 4/4 pieces, but i tend to get bit lost when playing 3/4 time pieces.

Am I right in thinking, it's just a case of disregarding the 'Tempo bar', or are there any 3/4 Freeplay styles available?

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 01:36:42 PM »
No 3/4 free play but they work ok with waltz's.

The following users thanked this post: Kenneve

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 03:43:41 PM »
Free play styles are just composed of pad type sounds that have no specific bar lengths. Tempo and time signature are irrelevant with a free play style. Something has to appear in the description, but they don't matter. Ignore them and just find something that works for your ear and the song you are playing.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Kenneve