Author Topic: Yamaha Equivalent  (Read 7984 times)

Offline phils_79

Yamaha Equivalent
« on: February 18, 2020, 10:57:56 PM »
Hi Guys,

With all the Pro Arrangers weighing heavy, is there any keyboard arranger which is light in weight from Yamaha but having the same options of SX900 or PSR s970 or Genos.

Eg. Korg has Korg Microarranger which has the same architecture and feel of Korg PA50, its light in weight and mini keys.

Hope Yamaha comes with some solution like that.

If there is one, can someone shed a light.

Thanks

Phil

Offline Toril S

Re: Yamaha Equivalent
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 12:04:53 AM »
Unfortunately not! But the PSRs are all approximately 11.5 KG. That is not so much, but after lugging them for a time they feel heavy! The E series keyboards are much lighter, but have a different architecture.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Online Rick D.

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 03:12:31 AM »
Hire a Sherpa!  ;)

Rick D.

DonM

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 06:40:48 AM »
Roland EA7 is very good and very light weight, 18 pounds.  It is also quite inexpensive.  It has it's shortcomings of course, but well worth the money. 

Pino

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 07:11:14 AM »
Hi Guys,

With all the Pro Arrangers weighing heavy, is there any keyboard arranger which is light in weight from Yamaha but having the same options of SX900 or PSR s970 or Genos.

This Ketron set-up is every bit as good as the SX900, some of the voices and drums are far better.
The module weighs 2 kilos, you can use any controller, now I’m using an ‘Keystation 61 at 4 kilos.

Pino

[attachment deleted by admin]

blackpool

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 07:53:47 PM »
i have an SX900
But do love my little  Korg EK50's  - cheap, light and ideal for a short gig with 40 setlists and audio out option.
New from £249  best cheap, easy to use board i have EVER owned and a decent keybed action.not complex like my Liverpool's PA OS.

Keith 

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 09:50:56 PM »
This Ketron set-up is every bit as good as the SX900, some of the voices and drums are far better.
The module weighs 2 kilos, you can use any controller, now I’m using an ‘Keystation 61 at 4 kilos.

Pino

Pino,
I really like your setup.  It seems very light.  I looked into the Ketron arranger shown in your picture.  It seems that it has a very complete set of features.  I looked it up on the internet . . . the only thing i was not able to figure out is the registrations feature.

are the registrations ? similar in concept to the Yamaha registrations ?

Also, i noticed that your picture is showing a tablet, maybe an iPad.  Is that connected to the Ketron module ?

Thanks in advance.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

DonM

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 07:08:20 AM »
The very BEST thing about Ketron registrations is that they actually CONTAIN all the information, not just point to it as all the other brands do.
In other words, my registrations from SD7, and even older Ketrons, work perfectly with SD40, and they include the style, text, midi files, etc.  These files do not have to be onboard or on a stick, as they are contained within the Reg.  file.
Every brand should so it this way.

Pino

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 08:30:41 AM »
Hi Al

The Ketron SD-40 is an arranger keyboard without the keys.
It’s an excellent all round arranger with excellent sounds.
The drums possibly better than Genos, a real live sound.

The iPad needs a "midi in" "patch change" only, from any source to change the PDF.

I still have that set-up and play it but I have to tell you that I play the Yamaha SX-900 on most of my gigs, just because I am more familiar with the Yamaha OS and style editing.

Pino

Pino

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 08:40:18 AM »
i have an SX900
But do love my little  Korg EK50's  - cheap, light and ideal for a short gig with 40 setlists and audio out option.
New from £249  best cheap, easy to use board i have EVER owned and a decent keybed action.not complex like my Liverpool's PA OS.

Keith

Hi Keith.
I see you mention the Korg EK50s on most of your posts here
I am interested in this keyboard for my 6 year old daughter
Lightweight, sounds ok, and probably a good starter keyboard.

I have listened to the demos on the Korg site but I really don’t want to hear a studio ‘midi file’ production with all bells an whistles to make up my mind on this, I would prefer to hear some simple styles and a simple melody.

Is it possible that you could upload a song to two here of you playing some songs using the on-board styles.

Thanks in advance

Pino

blackpool

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 10:05:38 AM »
Hi Pino... I have never hit record on any of my boards... My partner sneakily filmed me on an EK50 recently playing at my mum's funeral ... just playing some of her old fav's ...which is on my Facebook Keith Muller ...
A. C. Hamilton my local dealer has done a great demo of some of the factory styles which is great.. check that out on YouTube ...
I must do some recording ... It's really something I suppose I should do ... before the old hands give up all together ... I can't manage tico tico ...these days ....lol ....  and when I was gigging years back on board recording did not exist ...
I will get something done ...thanks for the prompt
Keith

Pino

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 10:52:07 AM »
Hi Pino... I have never hit record on any of my boards...

Hi Keith, I’m a bit baffled by that,
How do you know how good a player you are or how good the song you are working on is progressing,
When I work on a song it’s a long process,
Sheet music, the song must fit on one sheet, if not, I scrape the song,
Style editing, may take an hour or more to get it as I want it,
Then I do a registration as a draft, when I’m happy with the registration I save the voices to OTS,  I am an OTS only player.
When I finish this session I record the song.

Next day, first thing I do before anything is listen to my recording, now I’m in a different mood and may want to change a few things, when I finish this session the song should be more or less what I want, so, I record it again, MIDI and WAV, I may load the WAV to my iPhone to check the balance on a different source.

Thats the way I have always worked.
Can’t think of any other way to get my song to an acceptable level without the recording.

I will check the Hamilton Video

Have fun playing

Pino

blackpool

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 02:02:06 PM »
My family and friends are the best judge of my playing they soon tell me if it sounds c***  .....When i am happy with the voice, style etc I have chosen .....i simply save to my own registrations. maybe making the odd tweak later and re-saving 

I tend to be very 'plug and play' Pino, adjusting very little. Yamaha IMHO have done a pretty good job with OTS and factory style settings and simply tweaking these seems to do me just fine. maybe that's why i enjoy the EK .... i can simply play it....with little time spent on settings. i suppose really i am very idle......lol 
To me its all about 'playing' maybe i should make better use of setting adjustments.
Perhaps it stems from back in the 70's when we had an organ with few voices and  presets or just a set of drawbars, like my old Hammonds in the clubs here in Blackpool where i gigged as a teenager. ( then i never played a key again until i was over 50 and got back into it just for fun on a Tyros )

There are some players who love messing with parameters and not doing a lot of playing .... we are all different and  thats not my bag.

I never really thought about your point of recording and then sound checking .... maybe more of a reason i should perhaps get into recording myself.

Keith 

ps... this guy plays some super stuff on very basic boards ( inc the EK50 )  much of which appear to be factory settings.
the children/ Miles style ( imported to EK from PA80 is very good ....well i think so )

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4Dc8p40c08HyUbPTy_H2rQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDX7kkGilFQ

« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 02:25:33 PM by blackpool »