Author Topic: Microphone stopped working after loud bang, is this normal?  (Read 3401 times)

Offline Toril S

Microphone stopped working after loud bang, is this normal?
« on: February 18, 2020, 09:02:20 PM »
Hello friends.
I am rehearsing for a gig, and I had the microphone on much gain, then I put it down, forgetting to turn down the gain, and a loud clank sounded. After that the microphone stopped working! I had to turn on and off the Genos and take out the microphone plug and connect it again before it started working again. Is this normal?? A little nervous now. I have a brand new head microphone (shure) and a brand new cable as well.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Re: Microphone stopped working after loud bang, is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 11:59:46 PM »
Hi, Toril.

I doubt anything happened to your mic. The Shure mics are workhorses. More than likely, the sudden increase in volume caused your speaker limiter circuit to engage. This type of technology is fairly common now and is designed to prevent your speaker drivers form being blown by a mic stand falling over or something similar. You turning the Genos off and then on was likely coincidental to the speaker protection circuit resetting itself. What kind of PA speakers were is use when this happened?
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: Toril S

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 12:12:51 AM »
Hello Lee! I was using the Genos speaker set. So there is a limiter? Smart. I was a little worried because I was not able to get the microphone back on without turning of the Genos. I actually had to do it a couple of time before it  worked again. So now I am
being careful to turn down the gain knob before placing the microphone on a surface. Thanks for the answer, these keyboards really have many features! I recall this happening to my Tyros as well a time or two.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 03:06:47 AM »
Hi Toril,

I'm not sure the Genos speaker output stage has a limiter. My Bose Compacts do. It protects them against sudden microphone drops and terrible feedback that exceeds the speaker cone excursions. If there is no limiter, perhaps the internal compressor shuts the mic circuit down. This could be something that Yamaha placed in background and didn't mention in the manual.

We all benefit from your wee error. I'm sure everyone will get in the habit of turning everything down when leaving the keyboard. I'm glad nothing was damaged :)! Stay well...
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: Toril S

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 01:13:14 PM »
Thanks Lee😀 I also have the Bose L1 compact, and always use it on gigs. And I have managed to knock the mic stand over a couple of times😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 08:06:53 PM »
I think I found the cause for the sudden microphone silence. I don't think it has something to do with the load noice when I put down the mic, for it has happened several times after that. It is the XLR connection to the mic that is unstable. Don't know if it is in the extension cable I am using or in the end that is attached to the mic. Hope I don't get too many dropouts while gigging tomorrow!! I thought these XLR plugs were very sturdy, metal, springs and all!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 08:45:03 PM »
Of course! The first thing you check is cabling. Sorry I never mentioned that, Toril. If you have time, purchase a brand new cable of adequate length before your show. Extensions can cause issues. The fewer connections, the better.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 09:19:20 PM »
Thanks Lee :) The cable on the microphone is rather short, so I have to have an extension. I am taking the Genos out for the first time tomorrow, and will sing for the first time. It will not be a concert, it is a sing along event, so I will urge the audience to sing as loud as can be, to drown out my voice :) I am rehearsing, having fun, and being nervous, all at the same time :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 09:49:14 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 09:28:29 PM »
Get a longer Mic lead as soon as you can. Extension leads are never a good thing to use and if it is causing sparking which is probably the noise you heard this is not good for Mic or keyboard.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 09:50:17 PM »
Thanks Eileen :)
Toril S

and PSR-47.