Author Topic: ... support wooden cabinet for sx900  (Read 5569 times)

Offline Aquilauno

... support wooden cabinet for sx900
« on: February 17, 2020, 08:49:36 PM »
The sx900 is about to arrive and my wife has demanded that it be placed on a walnut-colored wooden desk of a non-economic invoice (no chipboard or fake wood). Aside from the solution to change wifes that surely someone will suggest me  ;D (but that would be too expensive ... ::)). I realized this project where I put only the essential measures, I widened a bit in anticipation of a future upgrade to Genos  :' ( even if it would out a right and left of a couple of cm / inches but I don't think it would be a big problem. I need to know if, according to your experience, the height can be fine. I know it depends on the stool/chair, the height of the musician, posture etc.
With 2.5 cm block wheels, we are 73.5 cm - 28.94 inches.
I need know at what height from the base of the sx900 are the white and black keys placed, this  to get a precise idea at what exact height I will find the keyboard. Perhaps 76 cm (29 inch)? Do you think I calculated right. Is a good height?  Finally, I knew that elbows must create a right angle with the forearm and the keyboard,  is this correct? I thank you in advance. Ps: it will take a month to get the desk ready ... I must wait again... sigh!
Pietro

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 01:38:45 PM by Aquilauno »

Offline andyg

Re: Please, is my first post... support wooden cabinet for sx900
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 11:21:49 PM »
The 'right angle elbow' part is roughly correct. It's better to make sure that your elbows are slightly higher than your wrists, so that when you place your hands on the keys correctly , with fingers curved and never flat, the back of your hands is flat and your overall posture is relaxed.

And that of course depends on how high you're sitting and on how high you need to sit to comfortably operate a volume pedal and footswitches. Get that part right first, then sort out how high the keyboard needs to be to match!

It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

rcpilot

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 11:49:15 PM »
Standard height of piano keys is 28.5 in.
That is from the floor to the TOP of the white keys.
If that helps you at all....and very nice design...DON'T let my wife see it...or I'll have to build one too!!

Offline daleSP

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 12:30:14 AM »
@Aquilauno

Suggestion .... how about putting the SX900 on a sliding shelf between the two end cabinets ? This would allow you to slide the keyboard in and out as needed and use the top of the desk for music books, writing, computer monitor etc. You could even add a second keyboard on the desktop if needed.

The sliding shelf doesn't have to be installed until after you build the entire desk. Whenever you get the SX900, you can install the sliding shelf hardware under the desktop at whatever height works for you.

I have a similar setup. I built the two end cabinets first and laid a flat surface for the desktop over the cabinets. This way if I needed to make the sliding shelf longer to accommodate a Genos (when I win the lottery), I just slide the two end cabinets further apart.
If I needed to raise the desktop, I would just add "spacers" on top of the cabinets.
Dale

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 07:09:59 PM »

andyg, rcpilot and daleSP thanks for your interest... much appreciated.
For andyg: your advice will be useful to me.
For rcpilot: the measurement indicated for the standard height makes me think that I probably have to lower the height by a couple of cm (0.90 inches or more). This is because I have to take into account what I have indicated in red in the photo below ... maybe they are 5-6 cm (about 2 inches)? can anyone confirm? ...
daleSP: thanks I had considered your idea, Instead, I prefer to position the sx900 above and move it as little as possible,  and put a sliding table just below
in that 3/4 cm space, and use it as a desk or in the future as the basis for an 88 semi-weighted keys with midi output (but it is not easy to find it ...)
however your idea is not bad.
Thanks for the compliments maybe I should do something else in life ... lol
Good music to you.

Offline daleSP

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 11:25:34 PM »
Hi Aquilauno  .... The height shown indicated in red in your photo is slightly less than 5 cm (slightly less than 2 inches).

However, since the front of the SX900 slopes upwards from the bottom of the keyboard resting on the desktop, the height of the SX900 from the desktop to the top of the white keys is about 8.4 cm (approx 3.3 inches).
Dale

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 05:01:23 PM »
Important news daleSP thanks . It was what I needed. I believe that now I can better evaluate the measures  that I will have to revise downwards in fact I would be about 32 inches (81 cm), sure I would go down an inch (3 /4  cm). I don't know how to thank you for the help ..

At this point I could consider your suggestion. As soon as I am ready, everything left included, I will post a photo. thanks very much.
best regard.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 05:05:22 PM by Aquilauno »

Offline panos

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 07:32:51 PM »
Hi Pietro,
don't forget to put a vase with flowers and a photograph of your wife's on the structure when it is done.
Maybe that way she will like your keyboard and keep it out of dust :)

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 09:15:25 PM »
Panos, you can't understand, as soon as you put a new piece of furniture in the house, doilies and vases of flowers appear out of nowhere ... lol, not even a magician is capable of this ...
anyway thanks to the suggestions ... this is the final project delivered to the carpenter today (daleSP, in the end I followed your idea)
The wooden partwhat is marked in white 30 cm flips over 20 cm with hinges placed underneath. This idea allows to avoid the use of the sliding red table with a money saving. At the same time
the table overturned can replace the music stand if locked at a certain angle. The project is final and under construction, below there will be wheels with brake (3 cm)
i just hope that will not cost as much as the keyboard ...  :-[

Thanks to everyone ;)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 03:52:12 PM by Aquilauno »

Offline daleSP

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 04:56:37 AM »
Very nice !

Looking forward to a picture of the real thing in action.
Dale

The following users thanked this post: Aquilauno

konaboy

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 11:49:41 PM »
looks neat, like the folding top to make a music stand, nice design.
make sure though there is space for your legs and knees underneath. You don't want them bumping into a shelf.

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 05:36:32 PM »
Hi konaboy
good observation, for this reason it is removible and adjustable in height ,  as those on the sides . (it will be the last thing to be made by the carpenter after a consultation)

Today the wheels have arrived (8, of which 4 with brake) they are 4 cm high one (with 2.5 the seller meant the diameter of the wheel) ...
It is not a problem because the boards are less than 2 cm thick (cm 1,8) and it change little for the final height.

The black white keys are 71 cm above the ground, I would say we are there.
The estimate for the creation of the desk is € 700 ... also includes two little doors, a left and right to satisfy my wife's request  ::) ...

I think it's a good price for a nice manual job. (I got some money for an extra job and this allowed me to make these choices ...)
a month for the realization ... I will make you partakers of the final result. thanks friends

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 11:01:45 AM »
...by the way I ordered the sx900 ... I can't resist a month ... even if I foresee a small family discussion on the horizon ...  ;)

I wanted to buy it directly in the shop and bring my baby home ... but it would have cost me 1950 euros. The lowest price on the web  is 1762 ... almost 200 euros less that amortize the cost of the desk ... Now, I just have to wait for the arrival of my baby ...

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2020, 01:38:29 PM »
My friends, near and far, I hope you are prudent and healthy. Finally what was just a beautiful dream is now reality ... here is the "cradle" for my baby ...
I thank infinitely who with his suggestions and advice has allowed me to calculate the right measures. The desk is perfect in height and depth. I will only have to find a comfortable chair that is suitable for the keyboard level (or rather my lowness, lol).

Offline Aquilauno

Re: ... support wooden cabinet for sx900
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2020, 01:42:32 PM »
wow...

not even three seconds and famous the female touch (wife touch) has struck again...

Offline Toril S

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2020, 02:50:38 PM »
WOW!! It is beautiful! Buy some flowers for your wife for inspiring you to make it!❤️
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

blackpool

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2020, 04:10:50 PM »
How nice is that!!  ...well done
I just cope with a pair of cheap Ikea 'Kallax' units for my keyboard ... but this is a great idea...very tidy.
Enjoy it

Keith 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 04:13:48 PM by blackpool »

Offline hans1966

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2020, 05:32:47 PM »
Wow Aquilauno, I congratulate you on your ingenuity to create this piece of furniture.
Please give your wife a big shout out for me, who has lovingly adorned your inspiration. Regards. Hans
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 05:36:53 PM by hans1966 »
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2020, 08:15:58 PM »
Toril my friend, it already done and a dinner at the restaurant ... covid permitting.
You cannot know how difficult it was to convince a woman who has no passion for music, to spend money on this beautiful hobby.
In addition to the cost of the keyboard, there is "the encumbrance", the cost of the desk ... I must especially thank my sister-in-law (sister of my wife) who bought a Yamaha electronic piano,
for the son, fourteen year old , this convinced her more than my words and my prayers ... lol.
Now I have no excuse I have to learn to play this puppy ... a big greeting.

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2020, 08:21:16 PM »
Keith, Hans
Thank you, the result goes beyond all my expectations. You cannot know the fear of having made the wrong measurements until the moment I placed the sx900 in its "nest" ... the carpenter was fantastic he did exactly what I had designed ... A big hug and stay healthy to time for music...

Offline ticktock

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2020, 08:57:20 PM »
Wondering how to put the keyboard music score stand, at the back of KB.
Ted

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2020, 11:18:28 PM »
Hi Ted, right observation...
But No problem, the keyboard rests on a sliding table ... I pull it towards me and insert the musical score holder by Yamaha ...
Or simply, hang it, with a small modification on the table which (in the open position) is vertical with respect to the keyboard just in front of the "One Man Band". I also found an LED spotlight with a USB socket in an electronics store that I connect directly to the keyboard. In this way, turning on the SX900 I also have a light that illuminates the musical score. I find that playing in semi-darkness has a particular charm ... lol

« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 08:09:45 PM by Aquilauno »

Offline ticktock

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2020, 04:50:53 AM »
Hi Aquilauno,
Great idea. Thank you for the clarification.
Ted