Author Topic: Updates for StyleMagic and MidiWorks are not longer for free.  (Read 21997 times)

Pino

Re: Updates for StyleMagic and MidiWorks are not longer for free.
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2020, 01:50:51 AM »
Hi,
I bought Style Magic a few months ago , when I bought my SX900.
To be quite honest, haven’t used it yet. I will if I decide to do a lot more style editing than I currently am.
Prefer to use the onboard style assembly function.

Are you saying that you prefer to use the onboard ‘style creator’ to using ‘style magic’ but so far you haven’t had time to try ‘StyleMagic

That doesn’t even make any sense.

Pino
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 02:54:39 AM by Pino »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2020, 02:00:26 AM »
Using Style Creator Assembly to exchange style Parts is different than editing styles with StyleMagic.  The Voice Editor and Drum Editor very good.  And you can do LOTS of editing in the multieditor (piano roll) that you will never be able to do with Style Creator.

You should load a style into StyleMagic and check it out. I think you will find the StyleMagic is well worth the money.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2020, 07:47:50 PM »
Are you saying that you prefer to use the onboard ‘style creator’ to using ‘style magic’ but so far you haven’t had time to try ‘StyleMagic

Pino

Hi Pino,
basically I’m just altering the odd  style at the moment.
I want a few more with piano arpeggios for instance, I use orchestral type styles mainly.
So I went thru the psr styles that use piano arpeggios  turned arpeggios into pads. I now have a piano arpeggio style library which I can audition with any style.
If I find something that works I copy the style track ( that the pad was based on, ) into the style using style assembly.
If I actually have to do any editing to the style or pad , I just do it in XG Works. Split and splice to get my midi file,  I can then alter the style and save it. I can import a pad into the style also, provided I’m replacing a style section with a similar type of pad.

Far more convoluted way of doing things  than it was on my korgs, but I’m comfortable with xg works, I used it for nearly 15 years to convert psr styles across to Korg.

Now that I actually have a psr ,I don’t need to do the same amount style creating/editing that I used to do, I actually have the styles I wanted. I can stop trying to turn a Pa4x into a Yamaha. Haha

I bought Style Magic more as a safety net, knowing that if I get back into my old addiction of style converting, I will have the means of doing it, and I won’t regret having sold my Korgs. I’ll be able to do it on my psr’s.

Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline Joe H

« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2020, 08:28:36 PM »
... I bought Style Magic more as a safety net, knowing that if I get back into my old addiction of style converting, I will have the means of doing it, and I won’t regret having sold my Korgs. I’ll be able to do it on my psr’s.

You can't convert styles with StyleMagic.  Are you talking about StyleWorks from EMC?

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2020, 09:22:29 PM »
Hi Joe,
no. I used to be able to convert the earlier psr styles to Korg  by just using xg works. Once guitar mode was introduced on psr’s , it no longer worked. I then used my s950 to create the .mid file I needed.

Basically, change psr ext .sty  to .mid. Load into xg works.
 Min Intro’s/ endings are stacked on top of Maj  intro/ ending, so basically moved them to end of  mid file and also had to copy drum parts for those.

Then had to swap midi channel 9 and 11 around. Rest of the channels suited Korg.

Changed to markers from  Yamaha vers to Korg ( i1cv1, v1cv1 etc)

If there were any mega voice sounds, just delete the track they’re normally on a  seperate track, nothing one can really do.

Then save song to midi file 0.

Import it into Korg style creator. Used to have to do settings in the style itself , volumes, change voices  ntt settings etc. the equivalent to Casm settings. The fine tuning was done in the korg itself.

Pa3x/PA4x had xg voices and drums. Pa800 didn’t used to be a real chore converting xg drums to Korg.

As I mentioned once guitar mode  was introduced, I used to have to record the midifile I needed in a psr. Intro / End
Min / Maj, variations , fills , breaks , I use to be able to record just a cmaj7, or  I could do more variations if required.

I have EMC, had since the early 90’s used to work ok, but sometimes for some styles the editing afterwards was more trouble than it was worth. Does some strange things at times.
For Ketron Sd1, it used to remove some controllers from beginning of bar, expression for one. Used to get loud jumps in volume. Editing was lousy on sd1, it didn’t last long.

I never got into trying to convert midi songs into styles.  Maybe the odd intro /ending.
Haven’t used it in years.

Also have Dan’s V arranger for creating midifiles for converting to Korg. Gave me the option of doing Roland, Technics, Ketron , Korg and Yamaha.
Never really used it as the arranger it was designed to be.

As I mentioned , I was a style converting addict, never had the spare time to actually play.

Dumped all 3 korgs and my psrs950  , bought the sx900, and tried to steer clear of anything too much to do with styles.

Having style magic, makes me feel comfortable that, should I want to get back into converting, I can.

I should  be able to do on the Yamaha , what I used to do on the korgs. With some minor changes, 
I’ll have to use VArranger to create the midi files of the styles.
I’m assuming I’d just have to do Maj/min  intro / ending , variations etc. maj7 chord.
Import them into style magic to create the psr style.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 09:28:50 PM by rikkisbears »
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

dsvroland

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2020, 09:27:33 PM »
The new version for StyleMagic was released right now!

• We all have a subscription for a year (for free)
  • Thomas did not comment the price!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 09:28:56 PM by dsvroland »

« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2020, 10:08:21 PM »
Thank you Dsvroland
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline ckobu

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2020, 10:59:27 PM »
I just got a mail from Thomas. I think this is a completely fair and honest attitude towards the customer of his software.
I often use MixMaster> Go to> XGWorks or Cakewalk.
However, StyleMagic has great solutions, especially in the CASM area, and there is no alternative for that. Thanks Thomas for the great program.

###################
Hello

This is link to the new version StyleMagic YA:
----------
You must have the full version on the computer.
If you do not have the installation package for the full version of the program, please write to me.

modification:
        Multieditor - added new tools: eraser, pencil, selection,
        Multieditor - added grid lines in the Control Change field,
        Multieditor - added option of controllers selection has been extended for the Copy and Delete functions,
        Main window - added scp and fps file formats,
        Main window - added Slovak language,
        Voice selection - added voice selection prompter,

Please be informed that subsequent updates will be available free of charge only for a valid subscription.
The subscription will be valid for a one year from the purchase of the license, after which you can purchase subscriptions at any time,
e.g. when a new update is available.
Today I am giving you a start subscription valid for one year.

Regards
Thomas Szczepaniak
software author
#################
Watch my video channel

« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2020, 12:38:25 AM »
Hi,
Sorry , bit confused, where do you actually get the update from. I did buy full version a few weeks ago.
Haven’t gotten round to using it yet, and I don’t want to do something stupid and corrupt my current version.

Thank you
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 12:44:11 AM by rikkisbears »
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline ckobu

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2020, 12:45:35 AM »
I received a notification and a download link in the mail. He'll probably get it too.
A little warning, turn off the antivirus program because Defender (win10) automatically deletes the downloaded file.
Watch my video channel

Pino

« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2020, 01:35:26 AM »
Hi
Sorry, but confused also 🤔
Is there a download link somewhere.?

Pino

« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2020, 03:52:04 AM »
Thank you ckobu
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

WolfBack

« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2020, 06:32:06 PM »
Hi
Sorry, but confused also 🤔
Is there a download link somewhere.?

Pino
This is the download link for the upgrade:
http://www.mirage.neostrada.pl/midisoft/upgrade_stylemagicya_v302.zip
If you didn't receive it yet, then you will be receive the email soon.

I hate this subscription stuff... but I have to learn to live with this nowadays...
I like the approach of Thomas to give us a free year subscription on StyleMagicYA...
We are waiting for the price for each subscription. I hope that will be affordable for everyone.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 06:33:21 PM by WolfBack »

Offline panos

« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2020, 08:36:54 PM »

Pino

Hi Pino,
Stylemagic looks cool to do things easier (when you learn how it works of course) but it seems to has two disadvantages compared to the on board Style Creator:

a) Style parts assembly:
There are plenty of note combinations on Yamaha's style parts ready to use.
I don't know but how many combinations of 4th,8th,16th etc notes and patterns can a bar has that do not already exist inside the hundreds (and more) styles and they have tested to work in all chords?

b) On a pc I cannot hear the voices of the keyboard, so all the... "inspiration" is gone when I hear general midi voices which I really don't like that much.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2020, 11:41:35 PM »
b) On a pc I cannot hear the voices of the keyboard, so all the... "inspiration" is gone when I hear general midi voices which I really don't like that much.

If the keyboard is properly paired with the PS, everything you do in MixMaster, XGWorks, Cacewalk, StyleMagic ... will be heard on the keyboard.
Watch my video channel

Pino

« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2020, 03:47:05 AM »
Rikki
StyleMagic has everything you will ever need to make Styles form midi.
Take a look at this video, will give you an idea of how it works.

https://youtu.be/AmRT6MK1M74

Cut a midi in your PC so that you only have an intro, VarA and an ending
Take note of the bar numbers and transpose to C. Thomas shows how to do this in SM in his video but I find it easier to do in my Midi sequencer, for this test run keep the drums-bass-guitar/piano tracks Only.

Watch the video all the way through and load your midi into SM
Every time you get stuck look at the video again, and take notes, best way to learn.
When your happy with the style parts, Save and load into your SX for editing and balancing the voices.

I can’t think of any other program where we can make ‘styles from midi’ like this one.

Pino
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 05:13:31 AM by Pino »

Pino

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2020, 05:01:08 AM »
Panos

StyleMagic is nothing to do with ‘inspiration’ it’s a programme for grouping a few bars together from a midi file and naming them "Intro or Var A" etc, and to sort out the SInt/CASM, + a lot more, once you’ve done that, save the style, load the style into your Yamaha keyboard for editing the voices and balances, whether I hear the voices in GM or XG makes no difference to me at that point cos all that is done later on the keyboard.

Just want to tell you that I have nothing to do with 1,000 of Styles or collecting or editing styles, I am 1st a keyboard player and a gigger, playing styles only. What matters to me is the intros to the styles, this is what determines if your audience gets up to dance or not, if they hear a good intro they are up dancing, so the better the intro the more dancers and maybe a song specific intro is the best and that is why i am using StyleMagic, mainly just for the intros,

I find Yamaha styles are the best, covering every beat that I will ever need, style endings is of no importance to me and a short ending is the best, so, If you have the capability to change the intro to a Yamaha style to a more song specific intro, then we have full control of how we want the end product to sound like.

The big test is, is your audience up dancing. That’s all that matters to me.

Pino
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 05:17:35 AM by Pino »

« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2020, 10:52:21 AM »
Thank you Pino for the information.
I received my update link today and great that sx900 is now supported.
I will start learning a bit more about it.
Your intro’s idea is a good one.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

WolfBack

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2020, 09:45:31 PM »
I'm totally agree with Panos.
Let's say the things right... The StyleMagicYa is NOT a tool to make a style from scratch! Not at all!!!!!
If there's anybody's looking to purchase this software to make a style with this from a scratch... then he's completely walk on the wrong way. For sure, the StyleMagicYA is NOT a alternative way to make thinks like the onboard Style Creator does (unfortunately) !
The newer purchasers have to know that before they make a decision to purchase this (yeap, amazing) piece of software.
I make a lot of styles, but the StyleMagicYA will always be my second step to do those things works. It's like my editor for my project, before I move the .sty file on my KB.
On conclusion, if anyone wants to add / remove / add effects and things / revoice / changing the SYSeX parameters / add some variation and channels for a EXISTING style then he's got the RIGHT tool!!!!

I use the Fruity Loops and StyleMagicYa to make a style from a scratch... (and my KB too)
It's a **** of work... but the result is fine to my ears!
If anyone's wants to learn the whole procedure, just pm me.

For Panos:

Ευτυχώς που το IDL Editor κάνει δουλειά με τα Expansion Packs... αλλιώς δεν θα είχα ασχοληθεί καθόλου με το StyleMagicYA.
Πολύ δουλειά όμως. Φόρτωσε όλα τα packs στο IDL, σύνδεσέ τα με το StyleMagic, σύνδεσε με MIDI το S7xx σου... και παίξε με τους ήχους...
Βαρεμάρα!
Βάζω τα onboard voices στο StyleMagic και μετά κάνω revoice με το Style Creator του S770 μου... Δεν αντέχω όλο αυτό το χάσιμο χρόνου φίλε μου!

CONCLUSION:
The StyleMagicYA is a GREATFULL tool for every Yamaha KB owner!
Period!!!!
If Thomas want's a affordable fee for his subscriptions, then I'll go ahead with his software!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 09:54:23 PM by WolfBack »

« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2020, 10:48:44 AM »
Do you consider Yamaha should give us Genos2 because we bought Tyros1 ?
Would you accept to spend a lot of time and give the result of your work to strangers over the world  totally for free ?

In software industry, pricing rules change a lot. For example, the official version of Java is now sold by Oracle and is no longer free. Java is everywhere...  And as hardware is more and more powerful, major professional software licenses are more and more associated with the power of the CPU... open source support is not free... and so on ...

I agree with Thomas. All good works must be paid. The fact that you react, shows you like his work.
It’s up to him to find the good pricing model

Offline Styles2psr

« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2020, 12:44:27 AM »
I have to agree with Panos.

You all forgot something, to make a high quality style with great sounding EQ settings you always have to finish your work in Style Creator.
It doesn't matter how good you are on using Style Magic, you will still end up with a shitty sounding style.
I think many people don't know how much work it takes to mixing all channels/parts with the correct EQ/Volume settings, and add effects for each part.

My method to create styles are different, it is indeed very time consuming but it works great for me.

I create all of my midi patterns using the piano roll in FL Studio, and then export each part to midi.
When i create styles i always start to make the Intros and some parts of the Main variations, when that is done i move/transpose the patterns to C minor or Major in the piano roll... depending on the style.
Next step is to use Jörgens Midi2style, and import each midi pattern, and export each part to a style.

When i have a full folder with all styles part for each styles, i unlock them with the Style Unlocker program so i can edit and change the CASM settings in Style Creator.

The hard work starts now....take each style part to create the Intros for each style and change to correct CASM setting for Intros.
When i'm done with the Intros, i move over to the Main Variations, and use the same process as above.
Next step is to create the Endings.
Next step is to create the drum fill-ins and breaks,
Last step is to play the whole style and listen very carefully to each part and make small adjustments if necessary of the notes/volumes.

Of course i could use Style Magic and make it easier for me, but the styles would never sound as good as when you work directly onboard with Style Creator and actually listen to each pattern if they sound good and correct.

In fact i have contacted Thomas last year because i was interested to buy Style Magic and i had a couple of questions.
I've mentioned in my mail that i'm a friend of Joe H, and also member of PSR Tutorial Forum.
He never reply to me  :(

I personally would never do that if a customer have questions or need help... i always reply no matter what.
The lack of support, more informative Tutorials how to use Style Magic, and his nonchalant attitude is the reason why many don't buy it.

I rather donate Jörgen some money once in a while because of his hard work and great software,
than buy Style Magic and support Thomas.

Thanks Jörgen.

Regards, Jan.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 12:59:02 AM by Styles2psr »

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2020, 04:31:21 AM »
Hello friends, I need some help.
My Indonesian provider does not let me download the update zip trough the link from Tomasz neither the one mentioned here earlier. It is blocked as being whatever dangerous. No it is not my antivirus program. I wrote to Tomasz but did not get an answer. Does one of you just have the plain zip-file (without the whole link) and is willing to share it with me?
I do have the original program with a dongle.
Thanks very much in advance.

Dick Rector
Indonesia
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline valimaties

« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2020, 10:54:29 AM »
Hi.

First of all : EACH installer is made for each person, because installer contains the executable file encrypted with owner's USB stick. So don't post ever links gave by Thomas because is useless ;)

Second thing:
I have a quite long conversation with Thomas on emails, so he responded to me, to all my mails.
In October I have sent to him an email and I proposed him to make an "online" style player, as all styles which are playing with his soft to be able to play chords in keyboard, thru midi connection. He respond to me (late, but he did) that is a big propose and he don't think he can make this thing, because is a lot of job to do. This is the biggest missing thing in this software, because he cannot play but Major minor and 7th chord types and only if the style has its CASM section for those types of chords made separately. Which is not a bad thing but in most of cases, useless ;) 

PS: In it's program license it wrote something like that:
3.   The license is issued for an indefinite period. With the purchase of the license, the user acquires a subscription for ONE YEAR from the date of purchase. The subscription provides: free updates, free migration of the dongle to another USB stick, active link to the full version of the software, help in using the program.

So, by selling the commercial license and according to that paragraph on his license, he is somehow obliged to respond to Help emails on How his program works. But if you don't have a license, I don't think he is obliged to do something! Everyone can download his demo version, and use it. I don't thing Steinberg or other big brands respond to anyone by give them support in how to use their software. There are forums, there are a videos on youtube (but because of its use on entire world, is a big software) and everyone can use those things.

Regards,
Vali
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 11:08:02 AM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Bachus

« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2020, 04:03:14 PM »
In fact, subscriptions are the new deal, not because developers are "greedy", but because they want to stay in business.

If you think their product is overpriced, then you should enter the market and compete. Think of all the money you'll make (assuming you're right, of course).

Cheers,
Fred

Thats what i said, subscriptions are the new deal..

Did you see me say anywhere they are overpriced?

WolfBack

« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2020, 04:06:38 PM »
IMHO, Thomas crash his head on a deadlock.
I think that StyleMagic will be abandoned by it's creator really soon if there's no more incomes on Thomas wallet and I'm really curious how many copies sold the last month... I hope to be wrong but I think he sold 1-2 (perhaps not a single copy at least). That's the reason of this subscriptions thing, as he last hope to gain more incoming from his older purchasers.
The big question: how will this program survive in the future? and Thomas has to focus on this issue before it's too late.
Lack of advertisement. If there's be no PSR Tutorial forum... I never heard a thing about StyleMagic.
Lack of tutorials. It's not a easy to use software, and the information about this is totally unused!A simple text file, a couple of confused videos on YT... and that's it! I don't have the time to learn this software by myself...
Outdated and hard to use UI. The user interface is so poor and the multieditor is a pain! Draw notes, delete notes, move notes, change the values, all that things takes time and everyone that uses a third party tool knows how easier can be if Thomas will be dispose a little of his time to make it better. For instance, a challenge for you all: Draw for me a linear control line on his multieditor. I burn my eyes with this damned thing!!!!
Competition & Support. Fortunately, Jörgens gave us a bunch of wonderful tools for free and he's supporting those tools and all will be thankfully for this. If anyone wants to SELL something, from a lighter to a helicopter, then he MUST support his work. He must stay close to his buyers and reply to theirs issues. Otherwise, give your stuff for free and leave them in piece to learn how it work by their selves. No bother at all!
All that I write is my thoughts and nothing more.
Im really hope for a brighter future of StyleMagic. I'm really am.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 12:27:35 AM by WolfBack »

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2020, 04:44:21 PM »
I rather donate Jörgen some money once in a while because of his hard work and great software,
than buy Style Magic and support Thomas.

Thanks Jörgen.

Regards, Jan.

Hi Jan
Thanks for your most kind words! Makes me both happy and proud...  :) :) :)

Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2020, 04:49:46 PM »
Competition & Support. Fortunately, Jörgens gave us a bunch of wonderful tools for free and his supporting those tools and all will be thankfully for this.

Hi WolfBack
Thanks for your most kind words! Makes me both happy and proud...  :) :) :)

Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

Pino

« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2020, 05:37:28 AM »
Well, each to his own,
In my opinion this is the best all round program for Yamaha arranger keyboards available today.

What other program offers this -
Editing the style notes, write and erase
Moving sections around
Copy and past style parts, eg Bass
Editing the sounds
Editing the FX
Editing the Drums and voices
Editing the OTS
Delete intros 1 & 2 and ending 1 & 3
Style variations to AACC
Moving the drum fills around or deleting
And all that in 15 minutes or less

I don’t need anymore updates
I’m fine with StyleMagic as it
I think Thomas has done a good job on the MultiEditor on this update,
Now we can enter and delete notes easier than before
And adjust the gate time as we go.

We all do things in different ways and have different needs.
How much do you expect for $63
Thomas could probably write a program same quality as Steinberg
But he knows that the market is small, very small.
Just my opinion

Pino

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2020, 09:58:34 AM »
Hi Pino
What do people expect for $63.
probably a V-Console ;D ;D :P ::) 8)

For me a Audi TT :)  ( probably a scale model)> :P

All the Best
John
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 10:01:23 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Pino

« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2020, 11:25:31 AM »
John, don’t ‘stock pile’ on that Tizer 🤞
I am a Corona drinker myself 🍺
Only got one crate left now, won’t last till the weekend 😖

Thanks for your humor along the way 😂
So serious around here
Supposed to be entertainers 🤡

Pino
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 11:30:39 AM by Pino »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2020, 04:46:38 PM »
I get the Red Wine bug on Friday night ;)

The cure is a Prime Fillet Steak!!  :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 04:48:20 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox