Author Topic: Download YEM 2.6 on to new iMac Pro  (Read 3815 times)

Offline MINKYCATS

Download YEM 2.6 on to new iMac Pro
« on: February 16, 2020, 10:52:47 AM »
Dear all,

Don’t even know if this is in the right Board- apologies.

Due to problems with my Windows 10 computer which were probably caused by the computer being hacked, I have purchased a brand new iMac Pro all in one desktop machine.

I am finding it difficult to get used to and have tried to download YEM 2.6 following the instructions which come with the download (acquired on my iPad).

It shows up in Downloads but I can’t get past that point. Could any kind MAC or computer literate person please help with some simple instructions to get this YEM installed?

Any help and advice would be most appreciated.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)
Yamaha AR100 organ:  Genos
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000, Tyros 5 - 61 and others.

Offline frozzers

Re: Download YEM 2.6 on to new iMac Pro
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 11:15:38 AM »
Trevor

Downloading and installing programs is a bit different on a Mac to a PC.

The Mac will automatically unzip the downloaded zip file and it will create a folder in your Downloads folder with the contents of the file. In this case, it will create a folder called 'ExpansionManager'.

In that folder, you'll see a file called 'YamahaExpansionManagerInstaller.pkg'.

Double-click the file and you'll be taken through the installation process just as you would if it was 'SetUp.exe' file on a PC.

You'll be asked to enter your Mac password at some stage of the process.

After it's installed, you'll find the program in your 'Applications' folder. Just double-click that and you're good to go.

Here's a link to the full instructions:

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/yem_mac.html

Cheers

Chris

The following users thanked this post: MINKYCATS

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 11:35:55 AM »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your quick reply and advice.

I’m not by the Mac at the moment but will attempt to do the install following your instructions and the ones in the link you kindly gave me.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000, Tyros 5 - 61 and others.

Offline frozzers

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 11:42:58 AM »
Hi Trevor

I don't think you'll regret getting the iMac. They're a bit expensive but definitely worth it but of course there'll be a bit of a learning curve.

I've got 2 iMacs. Last year's model (for me obviously) and a 2009 model (for my wife ...).  ;)

The old one is just as good as it was when I first bought it.

Cheers

Chris

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 11:48:42 AM »
Thanks again Chris - sounds very encouraging.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 03:23:05 PM »
Hi Chris,

Sorry to bother you again but I’ve tried to download the YEM and it downloads but when I try to activate the Installer Package I get a message which tells me that it can’t do that as it can’t check for malicious software.

I wondered if you have encountered this problem and if so whether there is a solution. I suppose there must be as many people must use a Mac.

Any comments would be useful. Thanks.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)

Offline Bill

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 03:53:54 PM »
Hi Trevor

As you will understand Apple has one of the most secure operating systems. 

You need to change your security level a bit.

At the top left-hand side of the screen - click on the apple logo.
Now select System Preferences.
Select Security & Privacy
Now select the General Tab at the top of the window.

Towards the bottom half of the window, you will see Allow Apps Download From:

Select App Store and Identified Developers -  You will need to click on the Padlock to make the changes and save.

When you finally get the program to work you will be asked to allow it to communicate with the internet - Click ALLOW

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline geoff5798

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 04:01:03 PM »
Hi Trevor I have had an iMac for a few years. I have the latest OS Catalina installed on it. I have managed to install YEM on the machine . When you have done what Chris has said. what you need to do next is Click the apple logo on the top left of the screen. Click on system preferences then select security and privacy. You may have to put your computer password in to be given access. Select general . then tick allow apps from anywhere. It should then allow you to install the YEM as yamaha is a trusted vendor. It would not work for a Micky mouse vendor but it should work for Yamaha . I have sent a screenshot from a apple help page.
Geoff

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 04:51:15 PM »
 Hi Bill and Geoff,

Thank you so much for your replies. I too installed the latest Catalina OS.

I will have a go using the instructions I received from Chris and yourselves. I am hoping to get it sorted today. Will let you know how I get on..

Thanks again

Trevor (MINKYCATS)

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 10:49:07 PM »
Hi Chris, Bill and Geoff,

Thanks to your advice and instructions, I have installed YEM 2.6 on the iMac Pro.

I have also imported the packs I had from MusicSoft. But the three packs are showing a padlock symbol which I can’t unlock.

Any idea of how these files can be unlocked so that I can install them on Genos?

I was able to do this quite easily on the Windows 10 computer which I only bought a few months ago from Aldi.

Or is it something  to do with the type of file?

The install process worked like magic so thanks again for that.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 09:58:12 AM »
Hi Chris, Bill and Geoff,

Good morning.

I think I have solved the mystery of the locked symbols.

The packs were installed using the Windows 10 computer and I think the instrument info was for the Tyros 5 and so it allowed me to install the packs.

I have now updated the instrument info in YEM on the iMAC and it obviously is for the Genos .

Thus the packs I retrieved from MusicSoft are not linked to the Genos but to the Tyros 5 which I had before the Genos.

Hope that makes sense and thank you all again.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)

Offline frozzers

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 10:06:17 AM »
Hi Trevor

That’s great. Well done.

Cheers

Chris

Offline geoff5798

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 10:49:19 AM »
Great news. You will soon used to the Mac OS. I find it more user friendly than windows.
Geoff

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 11:31:11 AM »
Hi Geoff,

Still on a steep learning curve with the OS.

When I put a usb stick into a USB port at the back of the Mac could you please tell me where to find the files on that usb stick and how to add or delete those files ?

Sorry to bother you again. Age takes its toll (79 in March). You guys have been marvellous. Thanks.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 12:01:49 PM »
Not quite sure why... but this came to mind

https://youtu.be/WnlIWpZSPXU ;D
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline frozzers

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 12:38:59 PM »
Hi Trevor

On a Mac, the Finder programme is the equivalent of Windows' Explorer.

When you launch Finder, on the left side of the window, under 'Locations' you'll see your iMac and if you've inserted one, your USB stick. They usually have a name which I obviously don't know here but I'm sure you'll recognise it. You can rename the stick by right-clicking on its name and taking the rename option.

If you left-click on the USB stick, the contents will be shown in the right window.

One other thing, unlike Windows, the Mac operating system, requires you to 'eject' any external drives before you remove them. You do that by clicking on the small triangle next to the disk name on the left-hand window. If you forget to eject properly, you'll get a message reminding you to eject in future.

It might be useful to have a look at one of these YouTube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=new+to+mac

Cheers

Chris
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 12:43:14 PM by frozzers »

Offline geoff5798

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2020, 04:02:48 PM »
Hi Trevor, as Chris says you can give your usb stick a name. From my screenshot of the usb on my desktop you can see i have called this one "Black usb". I have done this because I have a black, a white and a metal usb collection. On my desktop the usb icon appears once it has been plugged in. If that is not the case you should be able to see it via the finder has Chris has said. To actually use the files inside your usb folders it is exactly the same as windows . You can double click on the files to open them, delete them, drag and drop them elsewhere etc.
Remember before you pull out the stick from your computer (eject). to right click on it then it will say  "eject usb " click on this wait 2 or 3 seconds then you can safely pull out the stick.

Geoff

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 05:20:24 PM »
Thank you very much Geoff,

That’s most helpful. Thank you for the explanation. I understand it now.

I did see the icon for the usb drive on the desktop but didn’t realise that’s what it was and that’s why it appeared there. Also good to know the procedure to eject it safely.

Will try it all out later.

Thank you again.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)