Author Topic: IDL Editor for StyleMagicYA and other midisoft software  (Read 15530 times)

Offline valimaties

IDL Editor for StyleMagicYA and other midisoft software
« on: March 05, 2018, 08:08:25 PM »
Hi all...

I know that seems not to be a post which should be here, but it is also used for Genos, for importing expansion packs details (voices's details) in midisoft.pl's apps.
So, Thomas has launched the second version of this software, IDL Editor, which can import or can create manually a set of shortcuts (MSB LSB PC and Description of voices) for his software, to easily assign and view the voices in custom styles, or bought styles (midi).

On midisoft.pl you can found all his software.

Regards,
Vali
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 08:09:41 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Gunnar Jonny

Re: IDL Editor for StyleMagicYA and other midisoft software
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 08:16:51 PM »
Vali,
the version of StyleMagic YA at the website is 2.3.6, and don't support Genos as far as I can see?
Maybe I remember it wrong, but did you mention v.3 in other thread?

Quote from website:
Yamaha: Tyros 1,
Tyros 2, Tyros 3,
Tyros 4, Tyros 5
all PSR
all Clavinova

Cheers 🥂
GJ

Pino

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 08:51:04 PM »
It’s been updated and includes Genos

Very disappointed with the update
Cannot export a ‘style section’ to Cubase for editing
And import back again

Thomas recons, next update,
What - 3 years?

Offline valimaties

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 08:59:26 PM »
Vali,
the version of StyleMagic YA at the website is 2.3.6, and don't support Genos as far as I can see?

Quote from website:
Tyros 2, Tyros 3,
Tyros 4, Tyros 5
all PSR
all Clavinova

Yes, indeed.
I have at home the 3.0 version of the application. I don't know why he doesn't update the information for StyleMagic YA on his site, but it gives me a mail with the upgradeable package and some information about the news from new version.

It’s been updated and includes Genos

Very disappointed with the update
Cannot export a ‘style section’ to Cubase for editing
And import back again

Thomas recons, next update,
What - 3 years?

Pino, he makes regular updates if he has "what to improve" ;) I send him mails with a lot of improvements, even quantization from MultiEditor, was send also by me ;)
IDL Editor was one of my wishes, and he did me a surprise last year, when I need this a lot, and he send me a link with this new little soft which create additional information about expansion information :)

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

The following users thanked this post: Gunnar Jonny

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 11:55:51 PM »
Vali,

Quote from website:
Tyros 2, Tyros 3,
Tyros 4, Tyros 5
all PSR
all Clavinova

Thomas seems to be a little slow in distributing the StyleMagic v3.0.0 update.  I received mine yesterday more than 2 weeks after others reported it.
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

WolfBack

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 01:43:32 AM »
Thomas seems to be a little slow in distributing the StyleMagic v3.0.0 update.  I received mine yesterday more than 2 weeks after others reported it.
I got my update since 27 Feb.
Except the fresh new look (that confuse me a little until I get used to it) I don't see any other major update...
As for the IDL Editor... I admit this tool is beyond my knowledge.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 01:49:03 AM »
As for the IDL Editor... I admit this tool is beyond my knowledge.

It is very easy  ;D
Every voice in expansion has a MSB LSB PC and a describe... those you  have to enter one by one or import from a txt file, as he mention in his software. After this process, you will see in StyleMagic or MidiWorks the expansion content, too ;)

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 01:51:49 AM »
'Fresh new look' ...
Some screenshots to share?
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline Joe H

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 03:42:07 AM »
... As for the IDL Editor... I admit this tool is beyond my knowledge.

Actually, it is very simple to use.  The biggest amount of work is writing the text file for the pack you wish to add.

I have created a Voice List for EDM Essentials 1 and Magic Dance

I would be happy to share these if someone is interested in adding them their StyleMagic instrument file.  And as Vali has noted the edited file will work for both StyleMagic and MidiWorks.

Joe H
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 03:44:56 AM by Joe H »

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Joe H

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 03:46:41 AM »
There is another thread on StyleMagic 3.0.0

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,43339.msg342313.html#msg342313

Maybe someone will upload some screenshots of the program.  It has the new retro "Flat Look" of Windows 10.

Joe H

Offline valimaties

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 05:24:22 AM »
Actually, it is very simple to use.  The biggest amount of work is writing the text file for the pack you wish to add.

I have created a Voice List for EDM Essentials 1 and Magic Dance

I would be happy to share these if someone is interested in adding them their StyleMagic instrument file.  And as Vali has noted the edited file will work for both StyleMagic and MidiWorks.

Joe H

Next week I will release a little software that will export all data needed by IDL Editor, from YEM, but only for not cpf packs. I'm in developing state right now! I don't know how to retrieve data from cpf packs, sorry :) I can show the content inside, but only this information can be show right now! :)

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 08:51:18 AM »
Next week I will release a little software that will export all data needed by IDL Editor, from YEM, but only for not cpf packs. I'm in developing state right now! I don't know how to retrieve data from cpf packs, sorry :) I can show the content inside, but only this information can be show right now! :)

Regards,
Vali

I'm waiting to hear more.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 01:53:33 PM »
Vali,

There is no MSB / LSB in .ppf (only Yamaha packs) but there is definitely MSB / LSB in a single User pack exported (.ppi) from YEM. So how does it work?

Joe H
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 01:54:37 PM by Joe H »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 02:37:48 PM »
Vali,

There is no MSB / LSB in .ppf (only Yamaha packs) ...

Joe H

No, it is not true ;)
YEM does not show them, because you download from Yamaha's site, and for the single reason that screen which show you the MSB - PC filters data for MSB 62 and 63, which are users's MSB.
If the pack was in ppf format when import in YEM, and not cpf, MSB,LSB PC can be retrieve :)

PS: And I will export other content, also ... as midi file, styles, registrations,txt files ... any file included in pack. Less wave samples from voices, because there are converted in an Yamaha proprietary format...

Regards,
Vali
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 03:52:17 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 11:07:09 PM »
Seems to the only way there could be a LSB to match the installed pack is to Export th User Pack after we set the LSB.  But depending on how many packs are loaded in YEM at any given time,  YEM may change the LSB of any User Pack loaded into YEM.  I have see this many times.  I hope Yamaha will give us the option of locking the LSB so YEM can't change it randomly.

Joe H

Offline valimaties

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 11:55:47 PM »
Sorry for posting like this :)

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 12:17:17 AM »
Vali,

Yes we agree on how YEM works.  If your program extracts the Voice list from a pack in a format that is compatible with the IDL Editor and the LSB is incorrect from the packs installed in the keyboard, then we can change it in a text editor like Note Pad that offers a "Find and Replace" function to change all LSBs in the list.  Or does your program allow us to set the LSB when extracting the Voice list?

I would like to try your program because I have at least 6 custom User Packs I have created for my own use and a couple more commercial packs I would like to add to StyleMagic and MidiWorks.

I understand that YEM will assign all Voices, styles, and Multi Pads whatever LSB we assign the pack. Anyone who shares their custom packs must indicate what the LSB is so if they release future styles or Multi Pads they will play correctly for anyone who has the pack. of coarse they can import the new styles and Multi Pads as "Content" and add them to the pack if they choose.

Joe H
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 12:22:47 AM by Joe H »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 01:07:09 AM »
Vali,

Yes we agree on how YEM works.  If your program extracts the Voice list from a pack in a format that is compatible with the IDL Editor and the LSB is incorrect from the packs installed in the keyboard, then we can change it in a text editor like Note Pad that offers a "Find and Replace" function to change all LSBs in the list.  Or does your program allow us to set the LSB when extracting the Voice list?

I would like to try your program because I have at least 6 custom User Packs I have created for my own use and a couple more commercial packs I would like to add to StyleMagic and MidiWorks.

I understand that YEM will assign all Voices, styles, and Multi Pads whatever LSB we assign the pack. Anyone who shares their custom packs must indicate what the LSB is so if they release future styles or Multi Pads they will play correctly for anyone who has the pack. of coarse they can import the new styles and Multi Pads as "Content" and add them to the pack if they choose.

Joe H

I talked with Thomas... he told me that is the same voice, even it is from other pack... I checked in keyboard and seems to have the same settings, so even if I will export packs as they are, the IDL Editor will load only the first voice found, it will ignore other ones ... I will have to check some more parameters and after that I will take a conclusion...

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

WolfBack

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 01:36:00 AM »
It is very easy  ;D
Every voice in expansion has a MSB LSB PC and a describe... those you  have to enter one by one or import from a txt file, as he mention in his software. After this process, you will see in StyleMagic or MidiWorks the expansion content, too ;)

Regards,
Vali

That's a great feature!
Usually I add expansion voices on styles only on my instruments Style Creator.
I really miss the opportunity to add those voices on StyleMagic instead!
I will be so happy if this tool works for me...
Thank you, Vali!
 ;)

'Fresh new look' ...
Some screenshots to share?

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,43339.msg343491.html#msg343491

Offline Joe H

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2018, 01:55:52 AM »
I talked with Thomas... he told me that is the same voice, even it is from other pack... I checked in keyboard and seems to have the same settings, so even if I will export packs as they are, the IDL Editor will load only the first voice found, it will ignore other ones ... I will have to check some more parameters and after that I will take a conclusion...

Regards,
Vali

Are you talking about your program for extracting Voices from packs or the IDL Editor?

I double-click on the center field in IDL Editor and select the list I have created... chose Add All Voices.  It works great. I now have 2 commercial packs with pack names added to my S970 plus EDP Voice file.  Thank you for asking Thomas to make the IDL utility.  It is very useful, especially version 2.

My packs are: EDM Essential 1, LSB = 030.  Magic Dance Genos, LSB = 000

8)

Joe H
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:33:36 AM by Joe H »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2018, 06:48:56 AM »
Are you talking about your program for extracting Voices from packs or the IDL Editor?

I double-click on the center field in IDL Editor and select the list I have created... chose Add All Voices.  It works great. I now have 2 commercial packs with pack names added to my S970 plus EDP Voice file.  Thank you for asking Thomas to make the IDL utility.  It is very useful, especially version 2.

My packs are: EDM Essential 1, LSB = 030.  Magic Dance Genos, LSB = 000

8)

Joe H

Joe.. Don't look in YEM to LSB (if they are Yamaha's packs)... Yamaha's packs don't care about that LSB... Is annoying, but every Yamaha Pack use for each voice or group of voices other MSB and LSB numbers than we use in custom packs in YEM. A pack from Yamaha can contain a couple of banks... Take a look in your Genos in Voice Panel, in one of your Expansion packs... Activate Info for your voices, that Genos to show you this information about MSB LSB and PC for each voice... You will see that they use MSB 127 for Drums, and different LSB (packs), and other MSBs and LSBs for voices... You will be :o ??? as I was  :D ...   

PS: Move an Yamaha Pack inside YEM, so you change the "LSB" of that pack. After you will install in keyboard you will see that all content will work (styles, midi, etc)... Move a custom pack made by you to other LSB. You will see that all your styles/midi will not found anymore your content/voices.

Regards,
Vali
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 06:52:57 AM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2018, 07:16:58 AM »
Vali,

I understand about Yamaha expansion packs.  What I know is that when we assign a new LSB number to our custom pack the Voices and all content get assigned this LSB number.  In other words, if I have a pack with LSB = 10 and install it on my keyboard, the styles in the pack play OK.  If I change the LSB to 14 in YEM and re-install the pack, the styles in the pack will still play OK.  I think we have the same understanding. YEM makes the Voices and all content in the pack compatible.

But if I release a pack with Voices and styles with a LSB = 10 and share it with others, then produce more styles for the pack and release those (with LSB = 10).  Someone who has my pack might have installed it with a LSB = 14 (pack style will play OK on their keyboard), and then release some new styles with LSB = 10, they will not play correctly on others keyboards because different user installed the pack with LSB = 14.  It is a problem with YEM.  If we could lock the LSB in YEM so that when we export the pack as .ppf... when we load it back in YEM it will be the same LSB for everyone.  This how Yamaha packs work.  The MSB and LSB are locked.

Joe H
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 09:53:02 AM by Joe H »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 10:52:15 AM »
Vali,

I understand about Yamaha expansion packs.  What I know is that when we assign a new LSB number to our custom pack the Voices and all content get assigned this LSB number.  In other words, if I have a pack with LSB = 10 and install it on my keyboard, the styles in the pack play OK.  If I change the LSB to 14 in YEM and re-install the pack, the styles in the pack will still play OK.  I think we have the same understanding. YEM makes the Voices and all content in the pack compatible.

But if I release a pack with Voices and styles with a LSB = 10 and share it with others, then produce more styles for the pack and release those (with LSB = 10).  Someone who has my pack might have installed it with a LSB = 14 (pack style will play OK on their keyboard), and then release some new styles with LSB = 10, they will not play correctly on others keyboards because different user installed the pack with LSB = 14.  It is a problem with YEM.  If we could lock the LSB in YEM so that when we export the pack as .ppf... when we load it back in YEM it will be the same LSB for everyone.  This how Yamaha packs work.  The MSB and LSB are locked.

Joe H

Are you really shure that changing the LSB of a pack (custom, not Yamaha's) styles inside pack will still work?!  ::)

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2018, 01:07:52 AM »
Are you really shure that changing the LSB of a pack (custom, not Yamaha's) styles inside pack will still work?!  ::)

Yes I'm sure.  I discovered this by accident when I had to reinstall a pack. YEM assigned a new LSB and the styles on my USB drive for that pack would not play correctly.  Then I saw that YEM had changed the LSB without me knowing it. So the LSB of the Voices were different than those imbedded in the style files. This happened because I added a couple more packs to YEM and as you explained above, YEM had assigned the same pack a new number when I loaded that particular pack back into YEM assigned a different LSB.

I assume that the LSB for Voices in any .ppf 3rd party pack are set to 000.  Then YEM will assign it a different number when the pack is loaded in YEM.  If that's the case, then we will have to edit the LSB in a text editor... unless your program  has an option to set the LSB when it extracts the Voice List.  But the .ppi file has the correct LSB number that we choose to assign.

I will just wait for your program when it is completed.

Regards,
Joe H
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 01:10:56 AM by Joe H »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2018, 06:19:08 AM »
Yes I'm sure.  I discovered this by accident when I had to reinstall a pack. YEM assigned a new LSB and the styles on my USB drive for that pack would not play correctly.  Then I saw that YEM had changed the LSB without me knowing it. So the LSB of the Voices were different than those imbedded in the style files. This happened because I added a couple more packs to YEM and as you explained above, YEM had assigned the same pack a new number when I loaded that particular pack back into YEM assigned a different LSB.

I assume that the LSB for Voices in any .ppf 3rd party pack are set to 000.  Then YEM will assign it a different number when the pack is loaded in YEM.  If that's the case, then we will have to edit the LSB in a text editor... unless your program  has an option to set the LSB when it extracts the Voice List.  But the .ppi file has the correct LSB number that we choose to assign.

I will just wait for your program when it is completed.

Regards,
Joe H

Is not like this... I have sent you a PM... I hope you will approve it... :)

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2018, 08:38:05 AM »
Vali,

What I meant to say was that I had deleted the 3rd party pack in YEM.  When I reloaded it later with several other packs to create a new Multi Pack Installation file, YEM had change the LSB on this one specific pack because I was experimenting with different combinations of packs.  I had a few styles from the developer on my USB drive and those styles on the USB drive did NOT play while the styles contained in the pack itself DID play correctly.

So I took a looked in MixMaster and saw the the LSB in the style files on my USB drive were the original LSB 010 that played OK with my first installation of the pack but the current installation of the pack YEM had assigned Voies and styles to LSB 12.

As you stated above, YEM will automatically assign the next available LSB so there will be no 2 packs that share the same LSB.

I would like to see Yamaha add the function "Lock LSB" so we can keep the same LSB on custom packs just like with Yamaha packs when we add or delete packs in YEM.  Yamaha expansion packs MSB and LSB are "fixed" so they will be the same for everyone that installs a Yamaha pack on any keyboard.  The importance of this is that if Yamaha releases new styles for their expansion packs (or we share our styles with others) they will always play correctly because the MSB and LSB are locked.

Example:   Best of Europe is MSB = 49, LSB = 000,  Euro Dance is MSB = 49, LSB = 006.

Regards,
Joe H
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 08:43:48 AM by Joe H »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2018, 04:14:28 PM »
Vali,

What I meant to say was that I had deleted the 3rd party pack in YEM.  When I reloaded it later with several other packs to create a new Multi Pack Installation file, YEM had change the LSB on this one specific pack because I was experimenting with different combinations of packs.  I had a few styles from the developer on my USB drive and those styles on the USB drive did NOT play while the styles contained in the pack itself DID play correctly.

So I took a looked in MixMaster and saw the the LSB in the style files on my USB drive were the original LSB 010 that played OK with my first installation of the pack but the current installation of the pack YEM had assigned Voies and styles to LSB 12.

As you stated above, YEM will automatically assign the next available LSB so there will be no 2 packs that share the same LSB.

I would like to see Yamaha add the function "Lock LSB" so we can keep the same LSB on custom packs just like with Yamaha packs when we add or delete packs in YEM.  Yamaha expansion packs MSB and LSB are "fixed" so they will be the same for everyone that installs a Yamaha pack on any keyboard.  The importance of this is that if Yamaha releases new styles for their expansion packs (or we share our styles with others) they will always play correctly because the MSB and LSB are locked.

Example:   Best of Europe is MSB = 49, LSB = 000,  Euro Dance is MSB = 49, LSB = 006.

Regards,
Joe H

Yes Joe, I understood.
But, whatever YEM assign LSB, that LSB will not change voices inside the LSB, because, as YEM say in "LSB change screen" : The LSB is changed only on USER Content MSB 62 and 63
This is an annoying approach of YEM, to show non-User pack in LSB screen and to fill a LSB that is not from user's content.
As I understand from YEM interface, because is an undocumented thing, the maximum pack we can install User   Non-User pack will be 128 (000-127 LSB) and showing Non-User packs in LSB screen is only for limitation to 128 packs.
From my little experience, we have no way to fill those 128 packs, as a limitation of wave room. Of course, we can create 128 packs and put couple of contents in each pack, but will be annoying when we are searching content in keyboard, as Expansion packs will make different folder for each-other.

So... In conclusion: an Yamaha pack will not care about YEM's LSB ;) The voices inside those packs will keep its LSB. Whatever content (styles, midi) that uses Yamaha's pack will work everytime from everywhere.
YEM will change only LSB for our content, where MSB will be 62 for Drums and 63 for Normal Voices. ;)

Keep in touch!!!

A test with Maximum number of packs (128 LSB filled, user and non-user content)

PS: If you fill all 128 LSB, you cannot swap LSBs each other in YEM (... I can  :P ) :) Also , as you can see, I cannot use LSB 002, 003, 014 and 127, which are filled by Yamaha's packs, but has no impact with MSB 62 and 63...  :o

Regards,
Vali
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 04:17:17 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2018, 12:03:34 AM »
Vali,

I think you are unusual to have filled all 128 User Pack slots.  I only have about 12 loaded into YEM... but have many more on my PC.  Yes, it is a problem that Yamaha packs show up in the YEM-LSB window.  I agree we should just move them to the highest available number... but they are still taking up pack spaces that should be available for User Packs with MSB 063/062.  I would consider this a bug in YEM because Yamaha packs don't use the MSB 063/062 so they should not show up in the LSB window.

Joe H
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 12:06:19 AM by Joe H »

Offline Drsun19

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2022, 04:04:54 PM »
So, is it possible to use the IDL manually and check the MSB LSB numbers of cpf packs in Genos and write them down? Is that how it works?

I have some PSM packs i'd like to insert to Midi Works.

Luis.
Genos, Montage 7, Alesis Vortex Wireless 2, IMac 32Gb RAM, Lenovo Legion i7, Yamaha DXR 12, Cubase 10.5, Sample Robot, Style Magic YA, Keyscape, Omnisphere.

Offline yakubov

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2024, 07:28:25 PM »
Hi all!
I have a Yamaha SX-900 synthesizer. I installed the Euro Dance expansion pack into the synthesizer. The Idl editor program added the file PSRSX900+EDP.idl
Unfortunately, Style Magic does not display the names of the instruments.
Help me please solve this problem
Thank you!
Oleg

« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 09:00:33 AM by yakubov »
Yamaha PSR SX-900