Author Topic: Touch screen failure, can you operate with buttons only ?  (Read 60197 times)

fjuppe

Touch screen failure, can you operate with buttons only ?
« on: June 22, 2019, 04:57:33 AM »
Hi,

Not yet a Genos owner but soon in the pipeline, I have a few questions.

I have, before, been working a lot with eqipment with touch screens and know they will fail now and then.

1. Regarding the Genos, if the touch function fails completely, can you operate the keyboard's (all) functions with the hardware buttons, knobs and sliders.
(Worst case scenario, touch screen goes bad during gig....)

2. Is it possible to use an iPad as the main display, including touch functionality?

3. Does anybody know if touch functionality is implemented through USB ? I.e. can you connect an external touch screen (HDMI and USB) as the main display?

/fjuppe

Offline valimaties

Re: Touch screen failure, can you operate with buttons only ?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 01:09:19 PM »
I didn't heard about this problem from the launch of Genos till now. But if...

1. You can not have all functions on board buttons. And the speed will be decreased using only buttons. You can use Direct Access button to reach some screens, but not all functionalities can be reached in opened screen only with buttons.

2. No, it is not possible to use an external device as main screen, with touchable functionality.

3. Same as 2.

Vali Maties - Genos

fjuppe

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 01:33:21 PM »
Thank you Valimaties for you promt and quality answer !

Offline valimaties

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 08:00:12 AM »
You're welcome!

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Darius

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 09:47:25 PM »
Hello,
I also wish that Genos could be driven from an additionnal external touch screen.
I imagine an app for IPad that communicates with the keyboard via MIDI, matches the design of the internal screen and can be used in parallel.

Benefits?
* control the Genos with more ease, for example by displaying the mixer permanently on the 2nd screen
* control the Genos in case of an additionnal keyboard sitting on top (dual manual configuration)

I have played recently on the PSR-SX 900 : same Operating System as Genos, but more physical keys and more shotcuts.
Example 1 : if you press [Direct Access] and one of the [Voices] buttons, you get directly to a specific page of the mixer for Voices (Volume, EQ, Chorus, Reverb…).
Example 2 : if you press repeatedly [Mixer/EQ]  you navigate through the mixer, page after page.
Based on the fact that physical buttons for Styles and Voices have been removed on the Genos, having an additionnal  touch control surface on a tablet would be really helpful.
Darius.

Offline dh110953

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 01:53:12 PM »
From bitter experience. My Genos Touch Screen stopped functioning, the display was fine but touch screen would not accept any input. It was near to impossible to use the Genos without the touchscreen functioning as many of the functions were not available, or impossible to find and use.

Fortunately, my Genos is under warranty and the Dealer I bought it from (Keysound in Leicester) were very very helpful in getting the keyboard returned to Yamaha where it was repaired and returned to me. All in all I was without the Keyboard fro about 3 weeks - gave me chance to pick up and practice my Accordion !!!

« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 01:55:01 PM by dh110953 »
Now have a CVP 809 as my wife plays Piano but not Keyboard - I had to PX a Genos to buy it, Also have an SX700 - I did previously own a Tyros.