Author Topic: How to change Ocatve in Style Tracks?  (Read 2860 times)

Offline brucerez

How to change Ocatve in Style Tracks?
« on: October 27, 2022, 05:59:27 PM »
Hi,

I'm simply looking for how to change the Octave up/down in Style Tracks/Channels (ex; Chord 1, Chord 2, etc...).
I couldn't find this information in User's manual and Reference Manual.
The only information I found, is about changing Octave for right hand voices (R1,R2,R3).

Thank you for any help.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 06:01:30 PM by brucerez »

Offline iulistil2

Re: How to change Ocatve in Style Tracks?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2022, 06:43:26 PM »
Unfortunately, Yamaha does not have this function and does not want to implement it, the result of rigid thinking...! You can only somehow fix the Key Limit from the Style Editor (a fixed stretch from note X to note Z). It would be another possibility if you use a personal computer with certain programs to transpose simply + or - 12 semitones higher or lower the entire track.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2022, 07:10:12 PM »
For style voices, you can change octave by using StepEdit (inside Style Creator).
But that doesn't work for built-in styles, because they're locked. In this case, you need to save style on USB stick, unlock style on PC, and then copy style back into keyboard.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline brucerez

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2022, 07:14:36 PM »
Unfortunately, Yamaha does not have this function and does not want to implement it, the result of rigid thinking...! You can only somehow fix the Key Limit from the Style Editor (a fixed stretch from note X to note Z). It would be another possibility if you use a personal computer with certain programs to transpose simply + or - 12 semitones higher or lower the entire track.

Thanks for your info.

I had and have this option on my other keyboard about 20 years ago.
I like Yamaha, and I had some of their product like SY99 (great keyboard) and some old psr series (longtime ago) but a little bit disappointed because
they put some limitation for some obvious musical and logical feature like changing octave for style tracks.

Thanks anyway

Offline TiasDad

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2022, 07:21:43 PM »
It can be done as a permanent adjustment in Style Creator by selecting the channel you wish to change, going in to the Step Edit section, select all with multi-select & shift+scroll, then adjust everything up or down an octave (C3 to C4 or C2). Once our happy with the changes you can save the style (under a new name to not over-write the original). This is assuming that your style is unlocked, if not, then use Jorgen's style unlocker from here ... http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/stun/index.htm

The following users thanked this post: brucerez

Offline brucerez

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2022, 10:03:28 PM »
For style voices, you can change octave by using StepEdit (inside Style Creator).
But that doesn't work for built-in styles, because they're locked. In this case, you need to save style on USB stick, unlock style on PC, and then copy style back into keyboard.

Bogdan
Thanks Bogdan for your reply.

Offline brucerez

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2022, 10:10:18 PM »
It can be done as a permanent adjustment in Style Creator by selecting the channel you wish to change, going in to the Step Edit section, select all with multi-select & shift+scroll, then adjust everything up or down an octave (C3 to C4 or C2). Once our happy with the changes you can save the style (under a new name to not over-write the original). This is assuming that your style is unlocked, if not, then use Jorgen's style unlocker from here ... http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/stun/index.htm

Thank you TiasDad for your reply.
I can select all notes in Step Edit but I don't see any Shift option (in Style Creator > Step Edit).
After selecting all notes (in Step Edit), how can I adjust up or down octave?

Online overover

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2022, 10:33:13 PM »
Hi brucerez,

The correct way to set the octave of style parts has already been briefly mentioned by iulistil2. Please read the chapter "SFF Edit—Making Style File Format Settings" in the SX900/700 Reference Manual starting on page 26.

Use the parameters "Note Limit High", "Note Limit Low" and "High Key" (page 29) to adjust the Octave of the notes converted via the settings of NTT and NTR (separately for each style section).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2022, 11:19:42 PM »
KORG have always provided the octave change option for style parts.
Yamaha are not interested providing this important feature.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 10:28:30 AM by Graham UK »
DGX670

Offline brucerez

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2022, 11:49:40 PM »
Hi brucerez,

The correct way to set the octave of style parts has already been briefly mentioned by iulistil2. Please read the chapter "SFF Edit—Making Style File Format Settings" in the SX900/700 Reference Manual starting on page 26.

Use the parameters "Note Limit High", "Note Limit Low" and "High Key" (page 29) to adjust the Octave of the notes converted via the settings of NTT and NTR (separately for each style section).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris for the info.

I am aware of the High/Low Note Limit range and I always adjust them from C-2 (Low notes) to G8 (High note).
This is not modifying the octave of the notes already programmed in the channel.
It just extends the range between Low and High notes.

I maybe didn't explain well. Let's say for example I have a C5 note in Chord 1 channel/track that doesn't plays back correctly because it's too high and I want to change this C5 note to C2.
I didn't find any option in the keyboard to do this. The only way I found, is doing manually by going to Style Creator > Step Edit (of course if the style is not locked).
It's a tedious job when we have more notes to edit in the style.

Thanks anyway, appreciated.

Offline brucerez

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2022, 11:52:05 PM »
KORG have always provided the octave change option for style parts.
Yamaha are not interested proving this important feature.

Exactly Graham,
Actually I was looking for a similar feature in my Yamaha keyboard.

Online overover

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2022, 12:54:46 AM »
Thanks Chris for the info.

I am aware of the High/Low Note Limit range and I always adjust them from C-2 (Low notes) to G8 (High note).
This is not modifying the octave of the notes already programmed in the channel.
It just extends the range between Low and High notes. ..

Hi brucerez,

If you set/leave the default values for Note Limit High and Low (C-2 / G8), this doesn't change anything, of course. ;)

The style notes that you hear while playing are not the actual MIDI notes programmed in the style file, but the programmed notes are transposed in real time, depending on the chord currently being played and the NTT (Note Transposition Table) and NTR (Note Transposition Rule) settings.

In order to get the notes of the current style section to be played lower, you have to lower "Note Limit High" so that it is within the range of the actually audible notes. Suppose the audible notes play in a range of C2 - E3. If you now set "Note Limit High" to e.g. C3, the (only) notes above C3 will be transposed down an octave. This means that not simply ALL notes are transposed down an octave, but you can precisely set the desired range in which the notes should play.

Conversely, if some notes play TOO LOW, set "Note Limit Low" to a higher note (higher than C2 in my example). The lower notes are then transposed UP an octave.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 01:59:28 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline ckobu

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2022, 05:41:25 AM »
Chris explained nicely how easily any accompaniment track can be moved an Octave lower or higher.
The way Yamaha has designed it in Style Creator is much better and more precise than simply adjusting Octave -/+ 1. What if +1 sounds too high or -1 sounds too low? Style Creator allows a much more precise division, but for such adjustment you need to understand well what parameter affects which. Watch the video where I explained it.

https://youtu.be/LnYs0n88g3E?t=332
Watch my video channel

Offline TiasDad

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2022, 12:13:57 PM »
Thank you TiasDad for your reply.
I can select all notes in Step Edit but I don't see any Shift option (in Style Creator > Step Edit).
After selecting all notes (in Step Edit), how can I adjust up or down octave?

Sorry, forget the shift bit, I was away from my keyboard. It's using the arrow keys and scroll wheel.
I've made a short video that shows how I do it for speed ... It may not be the correct way, but it works ... https://youtu.be/TobsYmIZd6s
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 12:16:34 PM by TiasDad »

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2022, 02:31:29 PM »
Thanks for video TiasDad -it replaces thousand words  :)

Yes, that's what I had in mind. For me, this solution is simple and quick enough to actually change notes to desired octave. As for "Note limit Low/High", I use that mostly for bass channel -in case I wish to keep the octave, and only need to change highest or lowest note(s).

Bogdan

Offline brucerez

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2022, 05:38:10 PM »
@ Chris & ckobu,

Thank you and that was very helpful.
Honestly I never use this feature this way and I think it's very smart and convenient.

@ TiasDad,
Thank you for taking time to post your video.
I tried all steps but after Multi select all notes, when I transpose the notes with dial button, it transpose only the highlighted notes Not all selected notes.
I probably miss a step.

Thanks any way and appreciate your help.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2022, 06:16:56 PM »
@brucerez

When you multi-select all notes, you usually end on the last row, where you change the note -the notes above will be updated as soon you leave selected edit field (for example, by using left/right arrow on display).

Bogdan
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 06:18:18 PM by BogdanH »

Offline brucerez

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2022, 07:45:28 PM »
@brucerez

When you multi-select all notes, you usually end on the last row, where you change the note -the notes above will be updated as soon you leave selected edit field (for example, by using left/right arrow on display).

Bogdan

It worked, very helpful, thanks.

Actually I was doing all steps correctly and I was expecting to see all notes to be transposed visually also when for example I transpose from note C1 to C2 (using multi select).
The transposition happens and heard/seen as soon as I start the style for listening.

Thank you
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 07:49:19 PM by brucerez »