Author Topic: Audio driver for PSR-S910?  (Read 4858 times)

madoues

Audio driver for PSR-S910?
« on: March 29, 2020, 09:36:58 PM »
Hi,

I am new to Yamaha PSR keyboards and would like to use the PSR-S910 with a Surface Pro tablet/laptop.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the PSR could be used as a sound card in windows.
Not just midi, but access to the sound output from the PSR,
as well as using the sound system in the PSR as a sound output fro the surface.

I have downloaded and installed the Steinberg USB driver thinking that's what is needed,
but no dice, the PSR doesn't even launch the new hardware wizard in Windows.

Is there anything  else I should be doing, or am I wrong thinking audio is available for computers?

Sincerely,
Dan

Offline Toril S

Re: Audio driver for PSR-S910?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 10:28:12 PM »
Hello Dan! You need an audio interface. Focusrite had some good ones.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

madoues

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 12:40:53 AM »
Hello Dan! You need an audio interface. Focusrite had some good ones.

Thanks for the answer, Toril S.  :)

So the PSR-S910 USB port does not support audio.
This is what you are saying, right?
I have a few 2 in-out interfaces not doing anything, I can use them.
However, if it did support audio, there would be no conversion to analog, then reconversion  to digital.

Do the newer PSRs and Genos support audio?

Dan

Roy_T

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 05:02:01 AM »
Here is a link to the "Yamaha Computer Related Operations" publication.  Check the farthest column to the right on the last two pages for current Yamaha models that provide USB Audio Interface capabilities via the USB "To Host" port.  Currently, only recent versions of some of the PSR-E Series (and some of their  CLP/CSP/CVP/YDP counterparts) have these capabilities:

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/9/1094839/computer_en_rm_m0.pdf

This publication was released prior to release of the PSR-S975, PSR-S900X, and Genos, but I can find no reference to "USB Audio" in the Owner's Manuals for any of those models.

Since you have already installed the Steinberg driver, I would recommend uninstalling it, as there are reports of it interfering with normal USB-MIDI performance via the To Host port, when it is installed for the wrong models.  When that driver is installed, it expects to find a USB Audio port, when that is not there, it tends to mess things up for USB-MIDI, particularly as you come forward from Windows-7 to the newer iterations of Windows 8 and 10.

Roy
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 05:53:38 AM by Roy_T »

Online overover

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 08:01:56 AM »
Hi Dan,

most Yamaha arranger keyboards do NOT have USB AUDIO functionality (also all Tyros models, Genos, all PSR-S and PSR-SX models).

To establish a stable MIDI connection between your PSR-S910 and a Windows PC, download the approriate USB-MIDI Driver (32 or 64 bit, depeding on your Windows version) and install it. (First of all, uninstall the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver. Then make the USB cable connection between the S910 and the PC (!), and then install the USB-MIDI Driver.)

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/index.html?c=keyboards&k=usb-midi+driver+v3.1.4

By the way: Some Yamaha arranger models DO have USB AUDIO, for example PSR-E463, PSR-E463 or the new CVP-800 series, and the GENOS has a digital OUTPUT (S/PDIF).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 08:43:40 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

madoues

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 11:21:58 PM »
Much thanks for your replies.

Guess I will use that audio interface laying around not doing anything.

I had already downloaded the appropriate driver but haven't installed it yet, wanting to check the audio first.
So I will uninstall the Steinberg driver as suggested before installing the midi diver.

I imagine I will have more questions later on and it's good to know this site is quite active.

Cheers and thanks again.

Dan