Author Topic: Unlocking Styles  (Read 5495 times)

Offline MusicMan

Unlocking Styles
« on: February 10, 2020, 01:56:30 AM »
Hi

I noticed that with some styles get I get a message:
"The data of the original style  must be deleted before e recording." Which mean the style is locked.

I tried Jørgen's Style Unlocker to unlock styles and it works for many but not all styles.
Is there a way to unlock the styles that can't be unlocked with Style Unlocker?

Thank You

Offline DrakeM

Re: Unlocking Styles
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 04:23:46 AM »
I don't know if this will work or not BUT if you took another style and UNLOCKED it and then "copy and paste" all the parts from the LOCKED style to the UNLOCKED ... you might get what you want.

I have not tried this but it sounds like you're stuck and it's an idea for you to try.

The following users thanked this post: MusicMan

Offline MusicMan

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 05:54:31 AM »
I don't know if this will work or not BUT if you took another style and UNLOCKED it and then "copy and paste" all the parts from the LOCKED style to the UNLOCKED ... you might get what you want.

I have not tried this but it sounds like you're stuck and it's an idea for you to try.

I tried using Assembly in a blank style to swap a locked channel but it didn't work. The channel was still locked.

Then I tried using MixMaster > List View > Import and Replace a Channel and it worked. This method only imports one channel at a time so it's a good workaround til I find a method that unlocks all the locked channels in one step or better yet, unlocks multiple styles in one step (batch operation)

Thank you
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 06:08:13 AM by MusicMan »

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 08:23:27 AM »
Hi

It is almost 10 years ago I wrote the "Style Unlocker" software.

As far as I remember - I might be wrong - there is some unknown lock in the keyboard OS if the style has more channels in use than channel 9 - 16.

The only possible way to edit the style is to edit the MIDI part in a software sequencer computer program.

More at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/stun/index.htm

Regards
Jørgen

PS: Editing a style file can be done at byte level in a hexidecimal editor... as any file can... but I will not recommend this method.  :o
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

The following users thanked this post: pchan, MusicMan

Offline kharri

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 11:18:52 PM »
I know its been a while. Has anyone figured out a good way to unlock styles.
I purchased a style I would like to modify. I have a Genos.

I've tried Style Unlocker, StyleMagic, and Style Split/Splice (seems to put things back together incorrectly).

Thanks

Offline ckobu

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 11:24:48 PM »
Style Unlocker unlocks the vast majority of Styles.
StyleMagic YA has no problem with factory locked Styles, it edits them without the need for Style Unlocker.
Watch my video channel

Offline kharri

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 11:43:26 PM »
This was one I purchased. Style Unlocker does not unlock it. I can do some edits with StyleMagic. I can also delete and re-record the part. But have not found a good way to have the style unlocked when using Style Creator in the Genos

Offline ckobu

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 11:48:00 PM »
That's right, Style can't be unlocked in Genos. But with SytleMagicYA there are no processing restrictions.
I’d love to see what kind of Style it is and what specifically you can’t do with it.
In addition, when you enter it in MixMaster you can process it in different ways without unlocking.

https://youtu.be/PM3htJysPmQ

Offline kharri

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 11:51:17 PM »
I'm just trying to get the style unlocked so I can process it in the Genos. Is the lock contained in the CASM data?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 11:54:56 PM by kharri »

Offline ckobu

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 12:00:07 AM »
No.
Watch my video channel

Offline kharri

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 07:38:36 PM »
My real goal is to learn more about making and modifying styles and what causes this. It's possible that it's not locked, but linked to something else and the software in the machine wants to delete it so it's not linked (just a guess).

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 08:09:13 PM »
My real goal is to learn more about making and modifying styles and what causes this. It's possible that it's not locked, but linked to something else and the software in the machine wants to delete it so it's not linked (just a guess).

Hi kharri,

the main point is:

A Style file can contain up to 16 MIDI Channels (exactly like a standard MIDI file). One ore more of the source Channels 1 - 8 can be routed (by the CASM data of the Style) to the target Channels 9 - 16. And IF this is the case, you cannot edit the Style directly on the keyboard, because in Style Creator you can only access the Channels 9 - 16. The additional patterns on the Channels 1 - 8 (used for certain types of chords) cannot be accessed here.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 08:10:26 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline kharri

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2021, 10:01:40 PM »
Thank you for the clear explanation. I notice when I delete and re-record using Style Creator, I only get channels 9-16 and 1-8 are deleted.