Author Topic: Genos tomorrow ?  (Read 6070 times)

Offline tommac

Genos tomorrow ?
« on: February 07, 2020, 07:48:00 PM »
I am on the verge of ordering a Genos ( used with 2 year warranty) but after reading these forums I am starting to have second thoughts. I have only been playing for about 6 months but seem to be making good progress. I gave my first public performance ( friends) the other day which went well . I currently have a Tyros 4 but as you all probably know its approaching 10 years old now. My main music interest is 70`s and 80`s prog rock and country , I know--its a weird mix.
Am I mad or will it be a good replacement to grow in to. 99.9 % home use.
I realise only I can decide , just looking for opinions.
thanks
Yamaha Genos

Offline Rick D.

Re: Genos tomorrow ?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 08:48:58 PM »
Tomac,

I just got one in September. You won't be disappointed, they are great keyboards. I came from a Tyros 5, I also had a Tyros 1, 2, and 4. The Genos is by far the best of them all. The new GUI with the touchscreen is a pleasure to use and makes getting set up a breeze. Most operations are a lot easier to use as well.
If your concern it may be too much for you, it is easier to use then your Tyros4.

Good Luck,

Rick D.

Offline tommac

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 08:53:05 PM »
Yup---have been told that it is easier to navigate. Shame the nearest shop that has one to look at is nearly a 4 hour drive away. Will be buying with a decent returns policy though.  ;D
Yamaha Genos

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 09:33:40 PM »
Hi Tommac,

The Genos is miles ahead of the T4 in terms of voices and styles. It is far easier to navigate. If I were to gather all the issues on this forum into one category, they would probably filter down to, "Things I wish Yamaha would put on the Genos," not "This doesn't work or that is a horrible sound" etc...Yamaha listens and we may see these things pop up on Genos 2, but I know that's not your aim at the moment.

The nice thing about Yamaha's architecture from the PSR>Tyros> Genos, is the basic structure is the same. You can play the Genos right out of the box without having to sit through hours of reading. If you can dance around a T4, you can do the same with the Genos. The difference is, it will take you a long time before you run out of things to do with the Genos. Yamaha has been sending through operating system updates for free, with some very nice enhancements. And yes, there have been some bumps in that road but Yamaha is trying to smooth things out.

If you have the funds, I'd say it's time to take the plunge. Whatever you decide, we're behind you 100 percent and are here to help. Good luck :)!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: tommac

Offline elad770

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 10:01:51 PM »
Plus don't forget the fact that Hammond organ world has absolutely the best price for this keyboard!

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 10:07:40 PM »
Go for it! Go man, go!!! You will never regret it. When I got my Genos, I stored away my Tyros5 so as not to run to it when the going was tough on the Genos. I really love it. If budget allows you could keep your T4 as a backup keyboard. Please let us know what you decide. Good luck!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 10:44:02 PM »
Tommac,

I’m in the same boat, a four hour drive to play one. I bought mine sight unseen. My only regret is that I didn’t do it a year earlier. If you read the reviews from other members, you will realize it is a great keyboard.

As long as you buy it from a reputable dealer, you will be fine.

On the other hand, if your in the US, as Elad mentioned, Hammond Organ World has the best price and the owner is a very nice very talented organist
He price won’t be beat.  You may be paying more for a used one.

Rick D.

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 10:52:01 PM »
I too have a Tyros 4 and have considered the Genos.  My Tyros 4 has had a hard life but still 'Cuts The Mustard'.  I'm not sure my audience would notice a difference if I was playing a Genos.  I do sometimes have the opportunity to play a friend's Genos and while it's a fine piece of kit with some excellent attributes I still don't think it's worth all the extra cash required to trade-up to a new or second-hand Genos from a Tyros 4.   I'm not saying the Genos is not a good keyboard.

If anyone knows of a Tyros 4SE for sale in the UK please let me know.

Vic

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 11:49:38 PM »
Genos is far ahead now of a Tyros 4. Although this was a good keyboard in its day You will find the styles and voices sound so much richer and you will be able to use your Tyros 4 registrations which will sound much fuller. The use of Voice packs is now so much easier with the use of the Yamaha Expansion Memory or YEM for short and we now have 3 Gb of space which means you can have a lot of packs loaded unlike just the 128 on the Tyros 4. I am sure you will love it.

Eileen

Offline Jakkims

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 03:28:35 AM »
I bought my Genos last August having had only organs before, so with no keyboard experience to draw on, but I was able to enjoy playing the Genos from day one. I doubt if you would regret buying one. (Of course I am still on a steep learning curve as there are so many goodies in it that I have not tried out yet.)

Jakki.

Offline ton37

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 06:51:05 AM »
Without doubt .. the Genos is a great keyboard. But as you apparently have second thoughts ask yourself what are those thoughts that keep you asking : what shall I do? Have you considered to keep the ty4 and buy a (used) Sx900 . Later on you can decide if the SX900 fills your needs and sell the TY4.
Whatever YOUR decision will be: you cannot make a mistake .... as well as the TY4, as well as the SX900 and as well as the Genos are great keyboards.
Sucess  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2020, 01:25:26 PM »
Ton37 makes an excellent point. The Genos has a lot of things on it you may never use. The SX900 has the same sound engine and most of the same styles and voices.

Leading Edge says that customers won't likely hear a huge difference, which I agree with to a point. You are largely a home player, so you will hear the difference. Either way you go, make sure you own quality speakers. Some claim the Yamaha speakers are great while others say they're overpriced for what they are. Perhaps you already have that base covered with your T4.

Were I to criticize the Genos, it would be in the upper surface quality. It displays dust and fingerprints very easily. The display doesn't tilt and there's no contrast adjustment, which makes seeing the display difficult under certain lighting conditions. Then again, if you're always at home, you can light the room to compensate.

The key action is far better than the Tyros series. The pianos are much better but have a long way to go. Yamaha needs to take a lesson from Nord and dedicate a few GB to just the pianos. Then, they'd have a killer piano sound.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline tommac

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2020, 08:43:04 PM »
Thanks everyone for the input. Decided to wait a few more days and get it right.  :-\
Yamaha Genos

Offline Toril S

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2020, 10:30:43 PM »
Seems like a good plan😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline harry t

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2020, 11:22:07 AM »
Genos is an excellent keyboard.I have no regrets buying it. If you are not sure and can wait I am sure there will be another version out soon. Whether or not you will be able to afford it is another matter. Hope it works for you whatever you decide'

Harry t

Offline EileenL

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2020, 11:33:34 AM »
Don't think we will see another Genos for some time. After all we have just had that big update and I expect there will be more to come.

Genos!

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2020, 12:59:43 PM »
The dust and hair it collects is incredible... it's the strongest magnet I own.  It puts my FA-08, Triton, and Casio Workstation to shame without me even turning it on.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 01:03:23 PM by Genos! »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2020, 01:29:48 PM »
I can confirm that, as I have two dogs! My music is a hairy business😀😀
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 08:04:07 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

and PSR-47.

The following users thanked this post: DerekA

Offline EileenL

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2020, 02:00:06 PM »
A good keyboard cover will stop a lot of this. Mind you I don't often use mine and don't have a problem
as a quick flick with my anti stat duster keeps it looking at its best at all times.

Murat

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2020, 06:15:22 PM »
This is what I use and it really is perfect. I used it on my Korg PA3x 76, and now I used on my Genos so I bought two in total. I would highly recommend it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0002CZTIE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2020, 07:01:38 PM »
Ton37 makes an excellent point. The Genos has a lot of things on it you may never use. The SX900 has the same sound engine and most of the same styles and voices.

Leading Edge says that customers won't likely hear a huge difference, which I agree with to a point. You are largely a home player, so you will hear the difference. Either way you go, make sure you own quality speakers. Some claim the Yamaha speakers are great while others say they're overpriced for what they are. Perhaps you already have that base covered with your T4.

Were I to criticize the Genos, it would be in the upper surface quality. It displays dust and fingerprints very easily. The display doesn't tilt and there's no contrast adjustment, which makes seeing the display difficult under certain lighting conditions. Then again, if you're always at home, you can light the room to compensate.

The key action is far better than the Tyros series. The pianos are much better but have a long way to go. Yamaha needs to take a lesson from Nord and dedicate a few GB to just the pianos. Then, they'd have a killer piano sound.

Try some spectacle cleaner or record cleaner and the marks on the Genos disappear. Alcahol based. Good also for the screen with soft spectacle cloth
 I also use a vacuum cleaner for the keys with a nozzle . Cleaner on low power obviously.
I use a new damp kitchen cloth to wipe keys.
Also buy a cover . BINGO!! :)
Genos speakers rubbish. Go for quality as the keyboard itself is expensive.
No good running a Rolls Royce with a Mini engine ::) :P ;D
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline rattley

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2020, 11:01:49 PM »
I thought everyone covered their keyboards when not in use??  However........I have cats.  Enough said !!!!!!!!     -charley

Offline Toril S

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2020, 11:05:34 PM »
I bought a cover set for my Tyros5, it was 4 pieces, the keyboard cover, and separate covers for the satelites and the subwoofer.
Looking for the same for Genos, because the Tyros cover is too small, it slips off all the time, thin nylon, and not long enough.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline tommac

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2020, 02:26:49 PM »
Just as an update for anyone who cares . After much thought  I have just purchased a pristine Tyros 5/76 (2 year warranty). Decided that as a novice player the Genos can wait until next year. ( or not)

Thanks again for the input.  ;D ;D ;D
Yamaha Genos

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2020, 02:37:39 PM »
hi tommac,

Congratulations -very rational decision. From what I could see and read, Tyros5 is an excellent keyboard.
Wish you many happy hours with it.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Lyndyloo

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2020, 02:50:03 PM »
   HI Tommac,
    I kept my Tyros4  simply because I was used to it, but also purchased the Genos without trying one out, I watched many videos  of it on YouTube  etc., which sold it to me. Like anything  new to us, it took a few days for me to like it better than my faithful T4, but now I absolutely  love the Genos, as Eileen  has stated that all the sounds are much richer & it is definitely easier than fiddling  with buttons all the time, when I was playing Saturday  night people thought I was playing a CD  :)  I have no problem  keeping it clean with a damp cloth & a little glass cleaner on the screen, I did get a cover for it, but TBH it's  a waste of time, slips off. I hardly play my T4  now. I did hear the SX900 which sounded really great too. I know it can sound daunting reading the so called problems with the Genos, but I can honestly  say that they haven't  affected me, the software updates went ok, with some nice free playlist songs to play. Hope this helps you to make a decision.

Lynda

Offline Lyndyloo

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2020, 03:01:51 PM »
Hi Tommac,
  Sorry, I didn't  scroll all way down, I see you have Tyros5 now, congrats,  enjoy :)

Lynda

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2020, 04:24:26 PM »
Enjoy it Tommac,

It will prepare you for the move up to a Genos.

Rick D.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2020, 08:08:04 PM »
Tommac, Tyros5 is a great instrument. I also purchased a used T5 last year, and still have it. Happy playing!😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2020, 10:14:04 PM »
Tyros 5 is a great keyboard, I had mine for nearly 6 years before making the move to Genos.

Rick D.

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2020, 10:16:59 PM »
Agreed. The Tyros 5 was a great keyboard. Genos is a major step up but I could still survive with a T5. The pianos are very dated though.
Imagine what the Genos 5 will sound like. Better pianos...oooohhh :).

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2020, 10:45:44 PM »
Genos has better pianos for sure. $6000 worth no. If you want a great sounding Yamaha Piano look at the AvantGrand N2. I wouldn't update just for the pianos.

Rick D.

Offline pjd

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2020, 12:27:41 AM »
Enjoy the T5! I have a lot of respect for that 'board even though I play Genos. You may find that T5 will last you a good long while!

All the best -- pj

Offline elad770

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2020, 04:17:50 AM »
Brand new Genos with speakers and original stand should not
Cost more than 4100$ which is what I paid
6000$ is Way....too much

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2020, 10:52:09 AM »
Elad,

$6000 is the suggested retail, no one pays that. I got a deal similar to yours from Guitar Center.

Rick D.

Offline elad770

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2020, 12:56:52 PM »
Good Job Rick D !!

Some people told me they paid 7500$ US !! which I think is insane!

Good to know that some people can negotiate and know the true value of a good deal!