Author Topic: Converting MIDI to WAV on PSR3000??  (Read 7403 times)

Piervito

Converting MIDI to WAV on PSR3000??
« on: February 06, 2020, 04:08:41 AM »
Hello from Brooklyn, NY

I am having a very hard time trying to figure out how to convert Midi songs on a USB stick to WAV files.
Can the PSR-3000 do this or should I try to use Adacity or a like program?

Before I had problems recording on a USB drive, but after reading PSR Tutorial pages,
I was able to record on a USB. Then I download the USB to my pc. The sound is not the same as on the keyboard.
Now.... I read that I need to convert those MIDI songs to WAV.
The manual does not say anything regarding converting files.  Now I am wondering.........
Can I do that on the PSR3000?    I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Vito  piervitony@gmail.com
ReplyQuoteNotifyRemove

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Converting MIDI to WAV on PSR3000??
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 04:58:28 AM »
No. The 3000 cannot create audio files.

Using one of the audio out ports, you could connect it to your computer, and record it there.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 05:25:51 AM »
You need to understand that there is no sound on a midi file. It is a set of digital commands which can produce music on a midi compatible device. Obviously your PSR keyboard has a very good sound engine, which is why it sounds good. Your computer is midi compatible but does not have a high quality sound engine which can reproduce all the quality voices you have on your keyboard, so when you play a midi file on a computer it doesn’t sound great.
You cannot actually convert a midi file to an audio file. What you need to do is take the audio output from your keyboard and record it. You can do this on a dedicated recording device, or on a computer if it has audio recording software like Audacity.
Mike

Offline Mikk

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 01:38:19 AM »
Quote from:- Scott Alan Miller:
MIDI is not an audio format like MP3.  MIDI is like sheet music - it is digital sheet music, in fact.  So what you are asking is rather like asking how to convert sheet music into a CD so that you can listen in the car.\end quote. 

I suggest you look for  recording of your midi music on Youtube and download it as  MP4 and convert it to wav This free downloader, I consider one of the better ones
It can convert to many different audio formats including wav, after you have downloaded the music you need.

https://www.atube.me/
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 01:50:29 AM by Mikk »
I Believe in the K.I.S.S. Principle.

There is no cloud. It is storage space
                     on someones computer.

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 02:04:52 AM »
You need to understand that there is no sound on a midi file. It is a set of digital commands which can produce music on a midi compatible device. Obviously your PSR keyboard has a very good sound engine, which is why it sounds good. Your computer is midi compatible but does not have a high quality sound engine which can reproduce all the quality voices you have on your keyboard, so when you play a midi file on a computer it doesn’t sound great.
You cannot actually convert a midi file to an audio file. What you need to do is take the audio output from your keyboard and record it. You can do this on a dedicated recording device, or on a computer if it has audio recording software like Audacity.
Mike

"Direct Midi to MP3" converts midi. But it is restricted to the 128 midi voices. So as suggested, via audio out from the keyboard into Audacity is a much better option.
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 03:11:18 AM »
Dick, you are correct that software exists which appears to convert midi to MP3 in a single step, but I believe that what it is actually doing is playing the midi on an internal synthesizer and recording the output, but doing it all internally so it seems to be a single step. Its not actually converting the midi file. And as you indicated, mostly the synthesizer is very poor quality, so the end result is not great. A bit like the result you get when you play a midi on your computer. 
Mike

Offline panos

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 07:19:44 AM »
[OUTPUT] Jacks(Standard phone jacks of [L/L+R] and [R])When these are connected, you can use the instru-ment’s [MASTER VOLUME] control to adjust the vol-ume of the sound output to the external device. Connect the instrument’s OUTPUT [L/L+R]/[R] jacks and the input jacks of a pair of powered speakers using appropriate audio cables. Use only the [L/L+R] jack for connection with a monaural device

page 189 of the manual
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/0/319550/PSR3000E1.pdf

AUX OUT    LEVEL FIXED (R, L/L+R)
https://yamahapsr3000.wordpress.com/about-yamaha-psr-3000/keyboard-specifications/

You will need to buy a 
stereo audio cable from 2 x 6.3 mm mono Jack plug for a stereo 3.5 mm MiniJack plug.
Like this one:
https://www.av-connection.com/?PGr=8178

The 2 big jacks connect to the front of the keyboard IN/OUT ports and the little one jack connects in front of the pc to the microphone port(The pc also has a microphone port on the back of it)

When you connect the keyboard to the pc,you will have to press the button PLAY for the midi song on your psr and a program on pc like Audacity will record Audio.

Here is a video that explains midi and audio connections between a digital piano or an arranger keyboard and a pc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaOvHKAlTY4&t=39s
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 07:22:56 AM by panos »