Author Topic: Sharing a Technique for editing phrases  (Read 3893 times)

Offline MusicMan

Sharing a Technique for editing phrases
« on: February 02, 2020, 10:15:24 PM »
Hi

i've only had my Genos for a month or so. I am discovering new techniques all the time
I'd like to share a technique i discovered today.

Comments would be welcome.

MOVING STYLE OR MULTIPAD PHRASES TO DIFFERENT STARTING POINTS

You can move the starting points of Style or Multipad phrases to any parts of the beats or upbeats.
1. Simply go to Step Edit and use Multi Select to select a Style or Multipad phrase starting at the first note of the phrase.
2. Then touch Copy.
3. Then use Multiselect again to select any notes events that you may need to delete to make room for pasting events to new locations.
4. Then use the time counter in Step Edit to move to the time location where you want the phrase to begin.
5. Then touch Paste. The phrase will be pasted at a new starting point.

This is a good technique for moving a phrase that starts on the downbeat on 1 to the “and” of one to create a different feel from an existing phrase. Good for rhythm guitar parts, EDM phrases, etc In this example you would move the timer to 001 : 001 : 960 which is the “and” of one and Paste.

You can do the same technique with any type of midi events.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 10:33:52 PM by MusicMan »

Offline elad770

Re: Sharing a Technique for editing phrases
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 03:16:23 AM »
I didn't understand anything!
I wish you could make a video

Offline MusicMan

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 03:33:59 AM »
Sorry my friend. I thought I explained it clearly. LOL

This entire operation is done in Style Creator > Step Edit.

In a nutshell, In Style Creator > Step Edit, use the touch screen arrows to select the midi note at the start of a phrase in a style part that you want to copy.  Enable Multi Select. Then use the touch screen down arrow to select the rest of the phrase you want to copy. Copy it. Move the touch screen time counter in Step Edit to the location you want to paste it and paste...voila ! the phrase is copied to a new starting point that you set with the time counter.  You probably need to delete some midi events to make room for pasting before you hit paste.

This enabled you to have a lot more flexibility than just being able to to copy whole bars. Copy any contiguous group of notes to any place in the timeline.

I hope this helps.
Hey maybe this is basic stuff that I just discovered. But I thought it was cool and I wanted to share it.

I got interested in trying to do this so i could make rhythm guitar strumming parts start on a different beat without changing the basic phrasing.... just move the whole phrase around.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 01:40:21 PM by MusicMan »

Offline Dave Nuttall

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 08:11:24 PM »
Sometimes when I feel the urge to share ideas, I FORGET to mention WHAT I hoped to achieve and WHY.
So in this case, what was it about the style/MPad that you needed/wanted to change?
Genos, ProTools, Cubase AI10, Win10,  BIAB-2022, Sibelius Ultimate, MixMaster, PRSUTI, StyleMagic, StyleWorks, and Baldwin SF-10 acoustic piano.

The following users thanked this post: MusicMan

Offline panos

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 08:33:49 PM »
Hi guys,
Music Man is just telling the way to copy or move notes or phrases of a style part to a different beat of that style part.
E.g a guitar strumming that was starting at beat 1(downbeat) now is moved to start at the beat 1 1/2(upbeat).

Same thing can be done with a midi pad musical phrase.

Why this is good and not re-write a new phrase at the point you want it?
Because probably you will mess up the chords and it will not sound correctly.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 08:35:17 PM by panos »

The following users thanked this post: MusicMan

Offline MusicMan

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 09:08:22 PM »
Hi guys,
Music Man is just telling the way to copy or move notes or phrases of a style part to a different beat of that style part.
E.g a guitar strumming that was starting at beat 1(downbeat) now is moved to start at the beat 1 1/2(upbeat).

Same thing can be done with a midi pad musical phrase.

Why this is good and not re-write a new phrase at the point you want it?
Because probably you will mess up the chords and it will not sound correctly.

Hi Panos

You got it exactly right. Some phrases have a magic that can only be achieved by a combination of subtle elements in the midi performance:
• The duration of notes
• The timing (slight imperfections often create a great feel)
• The velocity (can produce timbrel changes or trigger various articulations)
• The Voicing (for chords)
• The choice of notes
• The melodic idea
• The Voice preset that is used
• The effects
• Automation (of panning, volume, effects parameters etc)
• The SFF parameters

I've found many amazing phrases that i would like to use in professional music productions. With the ability to adapt the start  time of phrases, it gives me many more options for how phrases can be used.

Genos pulls together an amazing collections of production tools.
• Great sounds
• The ability to follow a harmonic progression.
• The ability to sync to timing.
• A great library of accompaniment patterns in Style parts, Multipads and Arpeggios.

By the using the technique of copying parts of style phrases in Step Edit > Multi Select, you can pick out great little snippets of patterns, riffs, guitar strumming etc within a single style part and then copy those "phrases" to any point in the time line. This will enable you to make many variations of a riff, melody, strum without having to try to recreate it from scratch which might be very difficult considering interplay of so many elements.

... and if you DO create your own styles, you can reuse your own phrases in many more ways by the ability to copy continuous snippets of you phrases to any beat or upbeat in the time line.

One of the most difficult aspects of music production is the micro editing of midi to make it sound great.
I have spend literally days working on phrases,  manipulating all the elements mentioned above and eventually is ends up sounding great. Now with Genos, I can put that amount of work in, but now i have the ability to reuse my work in many  ways. ... and copying snippets of phrases to different starting points extends the possibilities even more.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 09:19:46 PM by MusicMan »

Offline MusicMan

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 10:22:19 PM »
Sometimes when I feel the urge to share ideas, I FORGET to mention WHAT I hoped to achieve and WHY.
So in this case, what was it about the style/MPad that you needed/wanted to change?

Hi Dave

I wanted to change the point in the bar where the pattern starts or copy a small part of it and paste it to 2 places in the bar to create a new pattern while keeping the phrasing and other elements in tact.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 04:41:21 AM by MusicMan »

Offline MusicMan

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 04:37:46 AM »
Hi

Another thing that occurred to me is that, if you want to follow my instructions for copying and pasting phrases, it might be a good idea to select all events in the Event Filter in Step Edit so that you get all the automation, pitch bends etc so that the phrases will play back exactly as they were intended.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 03:13:49 PM by MusicMan »

Offline Dave Nuttall

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 09:44:15 PM »
Hi Dave

I wanted to change the point in the bar where the pattern starts or copy a small part of it and paste it to 2 places in the bar to create a new pattern while keeping the phrasing and other elements in tact.

Thanks for sharing.
Genos, ProTools, Cubase AI10, Win10,  BIAB-2022, Sibelius Ultimate, MixMaster, PRSUTI, StyleMagic, StyleWorks, and Baldwin SF-10 acoustic piano.