Author Topic: Left Hand Splits/Effects and Registratioon  (Read 3303 times)

Offline lilryu

Left Hand Splits/Effects and Registratioon
« on: February 04, 2020, 06:03:23 AM »
Hi all,

I usually play in a band setting where I have to split the keyboard and play bass on the left hand plus a right hand accompaniment (piano, pads, strings, etc.) My process is as follows... I call up the registration that has the left hand sound then I 'freeze' the registration, after that I switch to the other registrations to call up the right hand voices.

I didn't realize until now that when I call up the registrations for the right hand, I would lose my effects (i.e. bass compressor) in the left hand. What do I need in order to not lose the effects for the left hand (i.e keep left hand the same)?

Hope this makes sense...thank you!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 06:06:19 AM by lilryu »

Offline Robert van Weersch

Re: Left Hand Splits/Effects and Registratioon
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 06:28:35 AM »
Why use multiple registrations for both left and right hand settings?
I've been in the same situation: played bass+keyboard parts in a band for a few years. I had one registration bank per song, with multiple registrations within that bank for that one song.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 08:12:56 AM »
... I usually play in a band setting where I have to split the keyboard and play bass on the left hand plus a right hand accompaniment (piano, pads, strings, etc.) My process is as follows... I call up the registration that has the left hand sound then I 'freeze' the registration, after that I switch to the other registrations to call up the right hand voices.

I didn't realize until now that when I call up the registrations for the right hand, I would lose my effects (i.e. bass compressor) in the left hand. What do I need in order to not lose the effects for the left hand (i.e keep left hand the same)? ...

Hi lilryu,

the most important point here is to remember that the Left voice settings belong to Style groop. So IF you want to freeze the Left voice, you have to tick the STYLE box in the Freeze Settings before.

But you can also use special "Voice Regs", then you do NOT need to use the FREEZE function:

1. For changing the Right voices only, WITHOUT changing the Left voice, you can create special "Voice Regs": Make the desired voice settings for Right 1 - 3. Then press [Memory] button and be sure to have ticked "Voice" and "Keyboard Harmony / Arpeggio" boxes ONLY (!). Press the Registration Memory button on which you want to save the current Right hand voice settings and then save the Reg BANK as a file as usual. I recommend using a special letter at the beginning of the Registration Bank file name so that you can quickly recognize such "Voice Regs", for example: "vPiano&Strings".

When you call up such a "Voice Reg" later, only the Right voices will change, but the Left voice and the current Style are NOT affected.

2. You can also make special "Left Voice Regs" for changing the Left voice only, WITHOUT changing the current Right voices and WITHOUT changing the current Style: Copy any Style to a USB stick that you normally do NOT use for your performances and rename this Style to an "unusual" name, for example "xxxxxx".

Load this Style from the USB stick now, make the desired Left voice settings. Press [Memory] button and be sure to have ticked "Style" box only, in this case. Then memorize these settings to a Registration Memory button and save the Reg Bank as usual. I recommend to use a file name like "leftBassFinger" for the Reg Bank file. Then DISCONNECT the special USB stick (which contains the "helping style").

When you call up such a "Left Voice Reg" later, only the Left voice will change, but the Right voices and the current Style are NOT affected.

3. You can also COMBINE both variants (to make a "Voice Reg" that will change the Left voice and the Right voices, but NOT the current Style). One advantage of such "Voice Regs" is, among other things, that you do not need to use the FREEZE function.

There are various reasons why the Effects of the Left voice may sometimes be lost in your previous workflow. I recommend to try the described method (using "Voice Regs"). Maybe that will solve these problems.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 08:24:55 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: AndiiRoo

Offline lilryu

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 01:02:36 AM »
Hi lilryu,

the most important point here is to remember that the Left voice settings belong to Style groop. So IF you want to freeze the Left voice, you have to tick the STYLE box in the Freeze Settings before.

But you can also use special "Voice Regs", then you do NOT need to use the FREEZE function:

1. For changing the Right voices only, WITHOUT changing the Left voice, you can create special "Voice Regs": Make the desired voice settings for Right 1 - 3. Then press [Memory] button and be sure to have ticked "Voice" and "Keyboard Harmony / Arpeggio" boxes ONLY (!). Press the Registration Memory button on which you want to save the current Right hand voice settings and then save the Reg BANK as a file as usual. I recommend using a special letter at the beginning of the Registration Bank file name so that you can quickly recognize such "Voice Regs", for example: "vPiano&Strings".

When you call up such a "Voice Reg" later, only the Right voices will change, but the Left voice and the current Style are NOT affected.

2. You can also make special "Left Voice Regs" for changing the Left voice only, WITHOUT changing the current Right voices and WITHOUT changing the current Style: Copy any Style to a USB stick that you normally do NOT use for your performances and rename this Style to an "unusual" name, for example "xxxxxx".

Load this Style from the USB stick now, make the desired Left voice settings. Press [Memory] button and be sure to have ticked "Style" box only, in this case. Then memorize these settings to a Registration Memory button and save the Reg Bank as usual. I recommend to use a file name like "leftBassFinger" for the Reg Bank file. Then DISCONNECT the special USB stick (which contains the "helping style").

When you call up such a "Left Voice Reg" later, only the Left voice will change, but the Right voices and the current Style are NOT affected.

3. You can also COMBINE both variants (to make a "Voice Reg" that will change the Left voice and the Right voices, but NOT the current Style). One advantage of such "Voice Regs" is, among other things, that you do not need to use the FREEZE function.

There are various reasons why the Effects of the Left voice may sometimes be lost in your previous workflow. I recommend to try the described method (using "Voice Regs"). Maybe that will solve these problems.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks, I followed your tutorial and it's somewhat working (some banks still turn off the compressor effect on the left hand bass which I don't want). I'm attaching the link 3 registrations to this post, hopefully you can help me - please follow the steps below..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xNjrb9X1pmLi0nKs2wsWdUMJ-YcXTMAW

1. Load 0. Split.rgt - select bank 1
2. Load 2. E Piano.rgt - select bank 1... if you look at the voice part setup, you'll see that once you launch bank 1 it'll turn off the bass effect insert

The 1. A Piano.rgt for some reason works and doesn't turn off the compressor effect on the left hand bass (which is what I want).

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 04:54:02 AM »
Hi lilryu,

I will have a look on your Registrations.

But first a question: Which FIRMWARE version is on your SX900? Have you already installed the latest version 1.03?

https://de.yamaha.com/de/support/updates/firm_psr-sx900.html

(To check the installed firmware version go to [Menu] - Utility - System - Version.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 11:21:39 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline lilryu

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 04:54:12 PM »
Hi Chris,

I was able to figure it out. It has to do with the insert effects on the L voice. I assigned the left hand bass compressor effect to slot 1 and now I can switch to any registration and the effect on the left hand still remains on.

I read on the Genos forum that when you start switching to different registration/banks, the last known effect takes place for that particular slot. I moved the L voice effect slot to something that isn't used for the RH sounds, and now it works.

Thanks again!