Author Topic: The Most Dumb Thing About My SX900  (Read 7586 times)

Offline hammer

The Most Dumb Thing About My SX900
« on: January 29, 2020, 06:47:23 PM »
When did Yamaha decide to place styles within their folder and not put them in
alphabetic order?  We need an OS update that would change that.

Deane

Offline ton37

Re: The Most Dumb Thing About My SX900
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 07:08:11 PM »
I wonder, even if they would be alphabetical, would it help you? E.g. StadiumRock and GrungeRock or USFolkPop ... what do I do with them if they are arranged?I use the SEARCH function in the Stylegroup myself, and that works fine for me. Then you have all the ROCK styles or BALLAD styles in one go.Unfortunately, if you enter a wrong or non-existent name, the chance is that the SX will 'hang' and it is best to restart it. (Here I will devote a new post). Just my 2 cents :)

(And the results of the search are Alphabetical  :-\)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 07:20:41 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

DonM

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 07:09:38 PM »
...and why did they decide to scatter the Country styles all over the place, instead of keeping the Country folder?

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 07:21:19 PM »
Copy all internal style folders to a USB stick. Cathegorize them as you would like them, and then put them on user or play them from the stick😀 Problem solved!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, JohnStarbuck

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 08:03:56 PM »
When did Yamaha decide to place styles within their folder and not put them in
alphabetic order?  We need an OS update that would change that.

Good luck. We’ve been asking for this for years. At least now we can search for them.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 08:54:58 PM »
Strange that they are not listening to their costomers here!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 09:16:00 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 09:07:43 PM »
Strange that they are not listening to their costumers here!

There are other customers who like it the way it is.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

btweengigs

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 04:22:17 AM »
...and why did they decide to scatter the Country styles all over the place, instead of keeping the Country folder?
Yes...that is maddening. From the suggestions I copied all the country styles onto a stick. Did the same thing with Waltzes. Might have to do it with some other styles as well.  Since the SX has two USB slots, I use one just for set ups and style folders.
Haven't used it on a gig yet...so we'll see how it works out in real time when I do.
Ed

DonM

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 05:26:17 AM »
I spent many hours yesterday and today helping a friend with his SX900.  They got SOOO close with this thing, but so many little things could have been improved.  It does sound great though.

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 10:51:44 AM »
Hello

Concur with the opinion that it is difficult to locate styles that were once closeted in specific categories and now have changed
closets.   It is the same problem on the Genos.    Using the search function to perhaps recategorize country,  waltzes etc. is
helpful... I don't know why the search function does not give a list of categories one can search and be successful.
Sort of hunt and peck.
There is a data list on line which has a page of each category and what styles are in that category.   This way if a 70's disco
is desired the search for that style is a wild goose chase.. it is not in Dance... hmmmm  try ???? for example.
Anyway i copied that category sheet of styles and what style are in each closet.   Now if you search Dance ,, have not done as yet
do ALL  the dance type music come on.  ???    At least World, Ballroom and a few others are still Classic.   I have that sheet right
on my music stand .   
Might want to check Onicimus conversions to s series from the Genos as he did reorganize styles into the correct closets.
Seems am rememorizing style categories.

Glad am not the only one confronting this issue

cheers
elaine

\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

blackpool

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 12:39:11 PM »
I just use search and it seems to work ok.  I cant though understand the thinking behind dotting different genres all over the darn place.

I have copied all my external styles to user and these results are included then. Often time worth doing the same search in 'registrations'  and see what comes up.

Keith

Offline Ingar

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 12:50:09 PM »
Yes, that's odd. I have a country folder on stick with a lot of styles, and I copy country styles from preset and put them there. Then I can name them as i like, and all is well..That stick, 128GB is permanent in sx 900 for storing.

Ingar

Pino

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 01:21:28 PM »
Yes, it’s a bit of a joke,
We’ve been using a system for the past 10 yeqrs and they went and changed it.
Does slow the work flow down a bit.

Can't see how search can find ‘Ballad Styles’
I have sorted the ones I use regularly,
I may have to find and hour or two soon to re-folder all the styles,
Maybe follow the S975 style grouping

Apart from that and the black gloss shiny facia panel, it’s not a bad keyboard.

Pino

Offline EileenL

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 06:47:41 PM »
Why not save the styles you use most as Favorites. Very easy then to find.

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2020, 09:10:05 PM »
I’m with Hammer and DonM

1. The Styles should be alphabetized
2. Why move the country styles out of a dedicated country style category?   Makes absolutely no sense to me.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2020, 09:11:21 PM »
Good luck. We’ve been asking for this for years. At least now we can search for them.

Cheers,
Fred
Copy all internal style folders to a USB stick. Cathegorize them as you would like them, and then put them on user or play them from the stick😀 Problem solved!

That idea works and it does solve the problem/.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 02:43:41 AM »
It's a case off THAT WORKED WELL lets not do it that way again on the next model.
DGX670

Offline beakybird

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 09:18:51 AM »
If relocating the styles is the solution to Yamaha's bad categorizing, why doesn't Yamaha get rid of the Style category buttons? I like real buttons for the presets, and I don't want to have be a sleuth.
It's also aggravating that the Country styles that are in the Pop category are grouped in three different places in the Pop folder.
The Favorites category is a great feature. The extra USB drive and large User memory are also great, this is true.

Offline rapaz

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 07:56:41 PM »

The underlying theme running through all these posts is - the documentation and operating system are not user-friendly. It is fine if you already know everything about the instrument.

At the very least they should give a board and documentation to people that are not familiar with the product to see if it makes sense to them. It would be nice if the writers would take a moment to LISTEN to their customers. I know, Abraham Lincoln stated the truth in his comment about "pleasing all of the people, all of the time".

I'll have to work on learning about my SX700, as soon as I get back from Lake Powell, where I'm busy removing the water with a Dixie cup. I probably accomplish that task about the time the keyboard problems are solved.

konaboy

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2020, 10:37:57 PM »
what is the actual sort order of the styles, i've sometimes wondered what the logic is.
the "best" styles come first?