Author Topic: Using a Midi controller with PSR-S keyboards  (Read 5778 times)

Offline daleSP

Using a Midi controller with PSR-S keyboards
« on: January 28, 2020, 09:42:32 PM »
My research indicates that it is much easier to use a Midi controller with the Tyros or Genos keyboard since they have support for Midi messages affecting the keyboard functions (e.g., start/stop, changing variations, fills etc). These keyboards have a “Midi Control” option in the Midi menu which basically translates Midi messages into keyboard actions.

Unfortunately, the PSR-S keyboards do not have this “Midi Control” option which makes it difficult to send Midi messages such as Control Change(CC) messages to affect these keyboard actions.

Any members successful in using a Midi controller (e.g., FCB1010 pedal controller etc.) with a PSR-S (not Tyros nor Genos) type of keyboard ? If so, what is the controller used for and what kind of Midi messages are used ?

Thanks
Dale

Offline voodoo

Re: Using a Midi controller with PSR-S keyboards
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 04:16:24 PM »
Hi Dale,

yes, you are right. The PSR keyboards do not have a function to translate midi messages (Note-on or Control-change) to internal keyboard action. So you cannot use the Yamaha MFC10 oder Behringer FCB1010 this way.

However, the Yamaha MFC10 can be programmed to send Yamaha Sysex commands for section control. So you can use the MFC10 to change variations etc.

Uli

[attachment deleted by admin]
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline daleSP

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 09:56:32 PM »
Hi Uli .... Thanks for the information and confirmation.

Looks like I will have to put some sort of a Midi translator capability between my FCB1010 and my SX900 to generate the appropriate Sysex messages needed by the keyboard.

It seems a shame that in 2019/2020 that this “Midi Control” option (of the Tyros and Genos keyboards) is still missing from the PSR S keyboards, especially the SX900 - given the wealth of other differentiation features between theses 2 lines of keyboards, I.e, PSR S vs Tyros/Genos.

I can only hope that Yamaha will see fit to bring this capability to the SX900 keyboards via a firmware update although I cannot hold my breath that long   ;D

Offline voodoo

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 07:49:31 AM »
It seems a shame that in 2019/2020 that this “Midi Control” option (of the Tyros and Genos keyboards) is still missing from the PSR S keyboards, especially the SX900 - given the wealth of other differentiation features between theses 2 lines of keyboards, I.e, PSR S vs Tyros/Genos.

I completely agree. Manufacturers like Yamaha or Sony (for dlsr cameras) often make artificial software limitations to smaller models just for price politics. This is really annoying. Other Brands like Korg or Canon usually give even the smaller models the complete software possibilities.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

The following users thanked this post: pjd, daleSP

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 06:30:22 AM »
This very annoying for me especially since my Midi Maker software uses midi control as well as sysex messages. Midi control is so much simpler. You can control registrations so that packs enormous power into a single command since registrations can save so many keyboard.settings. It is also strange that the later PSRs do not have external control support because the PSR 9000 and 9000 pro supported an MFC10 controller.

Using sysex commands is clumsy. I know that selecting a style can be done via sysex as long as you know the style number. Yamaha does not supply this info.

Start/Stop  and Vocal harmony on off can be also be controlled via sysex. These are at least common messages.

Start = F0 43 60 7A
Stop = F0 43 60 7D

VH On = F0 43 10 4C 04 00 0C 40
VH Off = F0 43 10 4C 04 00 0C 7F

And that's about all. You cannot send sysex commands to select registrations or multipads as far as I know so these have to be done manually.

Richard
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 07:30:29 PM by RichardL »

Offline daleSP

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 07:38:08 AM »
Hi Richard ...

Sysex can be used to select registrations in the Genos and the SX keyboards.

I believe that selecting registrations in older keyboards was done using some form of MSB/LSB/PC mechanism.

I don't know if sysex can be used to select multi-pads. It's not something I have investigated.

Here is some info on how to select registrations using sysex ... https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/showthread.php?tid=4327

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 08:35:33 AM »
I should add that you can use sysex messages to select sections - variations, fills, intros and endings. You can also send chord info via sysex messages. Midi Maker uses sysex messages to control these features so these should work on all keyboards.

However there are lots more that can be selected via an external controller, if supported (Tyros/Genos).

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 07:16:38 PM by RichardL »

joner77778899

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2023, 02:12:13 PM »
Just found!
Is there  way of using the LH hold on a sx900 using a M Audio 61 midi board.
I'm using a midi cable and USB for power from the 900.
I got most left hand functions working on the maudio but not the LH hold.
Thanks

The following users thanked this post: Stewart Girlock

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2023, 03:22:08 PM »
Just found!
Is there  way of using the LH hold on a sx900 using a M Audio 61 midi board.
I'm using a midi cable and USB for power from the 900.
I got most left hand functions working on the maudio but not the LH hold.
Thanks

Hi joner,

You are probably controlling the SX900's Left part directly with the M-Audio. In this case, to my knowledge, LEFT HOLD is not available.

To use the LEFT HOLD function, you would need to use/create a User MIDI template where the MIDI channel used in connection with the M-Audio (e.g. Receive > Port 1 / Channel 1) is routed to the Part "Keyboard". The external keyboard then behaves exactly like the SX900's internal keyboard (including split points) and you should be able to use the LEFT HOLD function.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)