Author Topic: Is it OK to use a different style for the chorus?  (Read 3177 times)

Offline YammyFan

Is it OK to use a different style for the chorus?
« on: January 28, 2020, 04:31:43 AM »
Sometimes I think a chorus [Refrain} needs a little something to jolly the song up. so I launch into a different style for the chorus ,and then return to the first style for verse 2. . I'm wondering if any of our members have experimented  doing this.

Offline s_cristi

Re: Is it OK to use a different style for the chorus?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 06:28:06 AM »
Hi, yes  :)
This is where using Registrations is brilliant.
Blessed be the Lord God Almighty!
PSR Sx700  8)

The following users thanked this post: YammyFan

Offline alanclare

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 08:15:31 AM »
Hi, yes  :)
This is where using Registrations is brilliant.
...and a pedal.

Alan

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 04:59:50 PM »
Of course, that is a fairly standard practice, not just for a chorus but however you choose to arrange the song. Remember to have your keyboard set so that it stays seamlessly in the same tempo when you change styles. Otherwise it drops into the tempo the style is stored in, and that would be horrible. You need to go into settings to do this because I don't think it is the default on most keyboards.
Mike

Offline YammyFan

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 12:55:41 AM »
Of course, that is a fairly standard practice, not just for a chorus but however you choose to arrange the song. Remember to have your keyboard set so that it stays seamlessly in the same tempo when you change styles. Otherwise it drops into the tempo the style is stored in, and that would be horrible. You need to go into settings to do this because I don't think it is the default on most keyboards.
Mike
Thank you Mike I agree with you. But I wonder if a drop in tempo or an increase in tempo is ALWAYS horrible.  Maybe it is sometimes horrible

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 06:51:54 PM »
Its not horrible if that is what you plan - but its pretty horrible if the change in tempo is unexpected! ;D
Mike

Offline panos

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 11:54:45 PM »
Hi Yammyfan,

there are 3 ways to play a song with 2 (or more) styles:

a) Manually change between the styles.
In that case make sure that you have "Tempo Hold" on the keyboard's settings so the second style will always play at the tempo of the first style.
To find this setting:
Press the "Direct Access" button.
Now press something from the style section row e.g Main A.
On the screen you will see some settings.
Select Tempo Hold.
The tempo will be reset again only if you press the stop button and then choose a new style.

b) Use Registrations
Eg.reg button 1 has the Main A of the style "ONE" and reg button 2 has the Main D of the style "TWO".
When you have made a registration with differnet styles you can move between the reg buttons,the style buttons and the OTS buttons as long as you remember what everything is changing when you push it :)

c) Use the Assembly function of the style creator and combine parts from 2 or more styles to create a new one.
This takes a lot more time to do it and it doesn't require any technical knowledge.
It is just a Copy-Paste procedure.
The benefit of it is that you create a new suitable style for a specific song and you do not have to worry about the tempo and other stuff.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 11:56:27 PM by panos »