Author Topic: PSR-SX700 or PA700 (KORG) ?  (Read 17539 times)

Offline dogendo

PSR-SX700 or PA700 (KORG) ?
« on: January 27, 2020, 08:21:38 PM »
I am considering the purchase of a PSR-SX700 but the Korg PA700 is also tempting ; is Yamaha a better choice and why ? Thank you for giving me your opinion

Mike

Offline BogdanH

Re: PSR-SX700 or PA700 (KORG) ?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 10:32:49 PM »
Hi Mike,
I never owned an Korg, so all I say comes from serious comparisons I've seen on web (many videos).
In short, depends what you hope to get and what you need (or will actually use).
General opinion seems to be, Korg is more into sophisticated adjustements that are possible directly on keyboard. But that has consequences... keyboard management is not that "friendly" as on Yamaha.
That doesn't mean, Yamaha doesn't have a lot of voice/rhythm manipulations and settings -quite possible more you will ever need (or more than you will be willing to learn).
What tells us all that? Many agree, Yamaha is easier for understanding "how stuff works", hence you can sooner become "creative" -which is exactly why I decided for Yamaha.
Sound quality?.. Let's be honest; both sound just great :)

Just my 2cents
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

blackpool

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 11:45:23 PM »
Hi ... B ..is quite right .Korg is a much more difficult OS, but great arranger..
Interesting to know what you have experience with already?
Korg are hard work if you are new to arrangers . Plus it depends what you want from it? If you simply want to 'play' then Yamaha...for song writing and music management, then I would say Korg...not to say you can't write with a Yamaha.
I do find Yamaha easier myself for my needs ...I  am simply plug and play and there is much more in the way of style files / registrations available out there for it
Hard choice really!!  I have an sx900 plus a little korg EK50 ( much easier OS than on PA )
and find that a great combo.
Keith

rcpilot

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 01:35:51 AM »
There is a TON of styles available for Yamaha .....and for me more that suit my kind of music...The configurability and programming is more extensive on Korg (I had a PA2XPRO) , but the Yamaha has all you need for most stuff,  AND that is why I got the SX-900...I just want to play, and get better at music...not mess with the instrument so much as I used to....
Lee

Offline Brian 007

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 07:58:55 AM »
Hi,

I have owned a Korg PA700 great keyboard loved it apart from one thing, I prefer Yamaha voices
so if possible try and compare the two and see which voice you prefer,

Brian007 

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 08:37:43 AM »
Iv'e owned Roland. Korg & Yamaha and found them to be all good. All take a little time to get to know.
Main benefit of Yamaha is the many-many 3rd party styles available although only a selected few are keepers.

Myself do find the Korg OS preferable and if you wish to delve deeper later the editing facilities of Korg are excellent.
It's nice to have a change to a different brand.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 08:39:26 AM by Graham UK »
DGX670

beykock

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 07:43:03 PM »
A very easy answer, IMHO.

A Yamaha lover will always prefer the Yamaha arranger keyboard.
A Korg freak will never leave Korg.

BUT ... I have been told a new PA serie might be launched shortly. No official confirmation yet though.

Good luck, Babette

Offline dogendo

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 08:39:25 PM »
Thank you for your answers ; I fear that the actual Korg OS is too complex ; Yamaha seems a better choice for me but I will perhaps wait to know what will be the next Korg PA  announced in Babette's answer
Thanks again.

rcpilot

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 12:26:03 AM »
Once again, If you just want to sit down and play...with minimal configuration and setup, I think the Yamaha is a better way to go. If your tech. and like a lot of flexibility, Korg is very nice. I have had both...they are both good.
Lee

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 07:05:23 AM »
Once again, If you just want to sit down and play...with minimal configuration and setup, I think the Yamaha is a better way to go. If your tech. and like a lot of flexibility, Korg is very nice. I have had both...they are both good.
Lee

That sums it up. The sounds and styles are different, but not worse. The Korg's capacitive touchscreen reacts more precisely and is easier to clean. What I don't like at all about the Korg is the ugly color of the case. I also find the keybed much more unpleasant than that of the PSR-SX700.

It's a difficult decision, because the bottom line is that with Korg you get significantly more options for your money.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 07:15:32 AM by tomsixtwo »

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 08:14:51 PM »
Hi,
I’ve basically been a Korg user for over 10 years. Had a couple of psr’s during that that period, but only as a second keyboard.

Recently sold my pa3x , Pa4x, and bought the sx900.

For anyone who is heavily into style/editing creating you can’t go past a Korg. Only ever had the top of the line so don’t know how the pa 700 fits in as far as editing functions go. My Pa4x had pretty much everything one could want.
It was my hobby converting styles from other manufacturers across to Korg.

Decided to give it up and actually start playing again so swapped over to Yamaha. A lot more stuff available including commercial products.
I also prefer Yamaha styles, for the type of music I like to play.

Sounds and styles are subjective.

Pick the keyboard who’s styles best suit you, and what sounds best to your ears. If either fit that category, then maybe look into the functions. I never had a problem with Korg operating system, but I came across quite a few Yamaha owners who decided to give Korg a try, that had problems adjusting.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 02:49:00 AM »
All keyboard OS brands work differently and all take time to learn.
Like a road map...many roads to get to a place but you in the end you finish at the same place.
DGX670

beykock

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2020, 08:42:14 AM »
I fully agree with both speakers.

But finally, if you are very familiar with Yamaha arranger keyboards, there is no other alternative than to continue with Yamaha.

BTW ... I have been told Korg will launch a complete new PA serie soon. No official confirmation yet. BUT ... Korg will continue with their present OS.That will not change.

However, if you are a Korg freak, why should you kill a winning horse ?

In the past I had a few Korg arrangers but it is not my cup of tea.
A Korg is not a plug-and-play instrument but a fine arranger if you like editing ( which is a must IMHO ).

Good luck, Babette

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 11:10:54 AM »
No arranger sounds it's best out it's box..so they all require tweaking EQ & CMP.
DGX670

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 02:14:49 PM »
I have the Pa4X and SX900,just to name two. Of coarse,I have to agree with Graham,but if out of the box is only a starting point,and every venue and pa system is different, then what.  Sure you can audition different comp and eq settings,but there must a suggestion of a starting improved setting somewhere.

Bernie

Offline EileenL

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2020, 03:13:20 PM »
I find the OTS settings much improved from older keyboards so you can play straight out of the box and it will sound good.

Offline metcam

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2020, 05:27:21 PM »
I find the OTS settings much improved from older keyboards so you can play straight out of the box and it will sound good.

Depends what kind of music you play. In my case and I know a lot others players the new keyboard is just a new piece of plastics. We must to make everything from scratch.

Best regards
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland