Author Topic: Max Files and Folders in PSR SX900  (Read 2127 times)

Max Files and Folders in PSR SX900
« on: December 10, 2020, 09:06:05 PM »
Hello everyone. Please your help with the following. I am searching in the Yamaha PSR SX900 about the amount of files and folder capacity for each type of files, midis, mp3, styles, registrations etc etc, and I haven´t been able to find the information.
-   How many folders and subfolders can I create/use for each type of information? Is there a max? a limit? (for the PSR SX900)
-   Is there a maximum of files (limit) per folder? How many files?
-   Where should I find this info in the manual?
Is there any known reason why of this limits?
Thanks in advance and my apologize for asking this, probably this was asked before.

Regards
👍🏻 Don't worry be happy!

Offline overover

Re: Max Files and Folders in PSR SX900
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 10:11:01 PM »
Hi bhergar56,

in the SX900 Owner's Manual can be found ...

... on page 34:
The maximum number of files/folders
which can be stored in a folder is 2500.

(On previous models this was only 500 or even 250 files/folders per folder).

... on page 36:
A file name can contain up to 46
characters and a folder name can
contain up to 50 characters.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, bhergar56

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 10:38:02 PM »
Is there any known reason why of this limits?

The reason isn’t hard to figure out.

The limit on the number of files is to keep the search time down to a reasonable amount. The more files in a folder, the longer it takes the system to find the one you want. Musicians aren’t known for their patience when they need a style loaded for the song they want to play.

As for name length, there has to be some limit, and Yamaha thought 50 was as good as any.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 10:40:54 PM »
Thanks a lot Chris, as always you are very helpfull and very clever. That information is very dificult to find in the manual, Believe me, I pass over those pages about 3 times.... jejeje. I´ll have to go for other glasses. Very smart!

Thanks again and best regards.

Bernardo. :)
👍🏻 Don't worry be happy!

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 10:47:45 PM »
The reason isn’t hard to figure out.

The limit on the number of files is to keep the search time down to a reasonable amount. The more files in a folder, the longer it takes the system to find the one you want. Musicians aren’t known for their patience when they need a style loaded for the song they want to play.

As for name length, there has to be some limit, and Yamaha thought 50 was as good as any.

Cheers,
Fred

Thank you Fred, Oh yes.. I´m trying know to figure it out how to construct  my files/folder organization, before starting to do anything, (according to my needs and the way I prefer to access de info). Yes it has to be not so extended, but not so short having to many files in the same group. I´ll start planning.

Thanks

Bernardo
👍🏻 Don't worry be happy!