Author Topic: Genos screen glare  (Read 5899 times)

Offline guitpic1

Genos screen glare
« on: January 24, 2020, 09:44:57 AM »
I’m having trouble with screen glare making the screen hard to read.

This happens when I’m playing in a well lit room under direct lighting such as fluorescent lights.

Suggestions?
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline Gunnar Jonny

Cheers 🥂
GJ

Janus

Re: Genos screen glare
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 02:48:14 PM »
Make a shield from triplex or karton paint it mat black  (Schoolboard Black)
Make it some bigger then the display
so you can stil tilt the display
Make a lot of it then you can start a business out of them

« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 02:55:52 PM by Janus »

Offline Duurduur

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 03:36:00 PM »
On my PSR E463 I had the same problem because I have a lamp right above the screen. With a piece of thin triplex a made something that gives a shadow over the screen without covering the screen. From where I sit  I can read the sceen without problems.

Ruud

[attachment deleted by admin]
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463
Logitech Z623 Speakersystem

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 08:53:25 AM »
Many tx
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 03:20:32 PM »
I took 2 photos of a particularly bad glare situation - both on Genos and my iPad.  This place had a LOT of flourescent lights all over the ceiling.  There was ONE light switch, that turned them ALL off, so I had to leave them on.  Luckily I was able to rotate my rig to somewhat reduce the problem (compared to what you see in the photos attached).  Since I have a 2nd keyboard above the Genos, I tried pieces of cardboard etc., but they always were in the way of playing the upper keyboard . . .

Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 04:22:24 PM »
Hi Jim —

Sorry to see that glare problem. It’s one reason why I’ve returned to paper lead sheets.

Thanks for posting such a detailed set list! It’s always great to see what others are playing.

— pj

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 05:07:22 PM »
I don't know if this is the best one, but how about something like this (anti-glare) screen for your iPad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2hfwmmDWHs

Here's another one by 3M:
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Anti-Glare-Screen-Protector-NVAG830864/dp/B00GN5K7NG
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 05:09:36 PM by KeyboardByBiggs »
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 06:36:36 PM »
I believe you can also adjust the contrast of the screen, if that helps.

Rick D.

Offline Amxf5

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 11:57:24 PM »
I believe you can also adjust the contrast of the screen, if that helps.

Rick D.
Believe?  Or can you? I've looked for that feature.....

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 02:42:33 AM »
Amxf5,

Yes you can adjust it.  Go to Menu, Utility, Display/Touch Screen, and go to page 2 on the right hand side down arrow.

Rick D.

Offline hans1966

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 03:20:03 AM »
Hello on the SX900 (I imagine it is the same) you can adjust the brightness of the screen as follows: press the MENU key then press MENU2 then press UTILITY you will see several boxes (speaker / connectivity, Touch Screen / Display, parameter lock , etc.) Select Touch Screen / Display, you will see the items: Touch Screen: Sound (ON / OFF) Calibration and Brightness will appear below. From there you can adjust the brightness of the screen. I hope this helps. regards. Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline ton37

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 07:07:27 AM »
Alltoight one can adjust the clearity of the display on the sx900, it doesn't help to avoid unreadability in for instance sunlight or glare. That is because the max. setting (10) is on the standard lumination and can only set darker, not lighter. So the same problem as on the Genos remains for the  sx900 . Tmho the fact that Yamaha has added this (not working) feature to the sx is an confession from Yamaha that they were wrong (designers error) with the Genos readability display   :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 07:29:05 AM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 01:27:12 PM »
Guitpic1, are you gigging or always at home? If at home, adjust the lighting. If you're gigging, you're stuck with Yamaha NOT making an adjustable brightness display for a $6,000 price tag >:(!!!

Holy socks! I owned a Motif ES, with a monochrome screen, 20 years ago. It had a very effective contrast control that was perfect under all lighting conditions. How the h*** did Yamaha miss this on the Genos?? I guess they were dumb enough to assume we all sit in our living room that has a single table lamp off in the corner somewhere. Trust me, the engineers could have fixed this problem, if not for the bean counters!!!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 01:35:19 PM »
Screens of all sorts have had problems in strong sunlight. Even my Tyros 4 and 5 gave me problems.
  If the sun is on my television it gives problems. Why keep blaming Yamaha and Genos for this problem. It can be sorted by a simple shield that you can make out of a card board box to fit around the screen.

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 02:01:40 PM »
Like I mentioned, Eileen. It was never an issue with my Motif, nor several other keyboards I've owned by Kord and Roland. Even my PSR 3000 worked well in all kinds of lighting conditions. The color schemes on that keyboard are another topic though :)!

Yamaha definitely dropped the ball on this one. They could have prevented it with a little forethought.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 03:18:59 PM »
HI - for me, I can't use a simple cardboard sunshield (have tried) due to my having a 2nd keyboard directly above the Genos.  I will look into anti-glare 'sheets' that some have mentioned ... it just physically gets in the way of when I want to play my upper keyboard.

If the Genos screen tilted (as the Tyros ones did), I sometimes can adjust tilt to help with the situation.  Sometimes I have to adjust my whole rig's position (rotate it all left or right) which sometimes helps.  In the photos I provided, the venue happened to have a "ton" of large flourescent lights int he ceiling so I could not get a position that eliminated the problem on Genos.  I did tilt back my music rack (kind of "too far back" but I was able to move it so that the lights didn't reflect into my eyes on the iPad, albeit with the iPad being "tilted back" quite a bit . . .

Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2020, 07:31:49 PM »
Lee,

There is a brightness control on the Genos, see my post above.
There is also a calibration screen to make the screen respond to your touch depending on whether you are standing or sitting.

Rick D.

Offline PierreSW

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2020, 08:42:21 AM »
Amxf5,

Yes you can adjust it.  Go to Menu, Utility, Display/Touch Screen, and go to page 2 on the right hand side down arrow.

Rick D.

It only changes the light in the blue buttons, not the screen.

// Pierre
YAMAHA Genos 2, YAMAHA MFC10, Bose L1 II-pa,Mixer T1 ToneMatch, ZUM STEEL.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2020, 11:35:32 AM »
Pierre,

I bought a tutorial and it said it changes the screen and the buttons. I have never done it because my Genos stays in one spot and the screen is fine. I will confirm when I come back.

Thanks for the heads up.

Rick D.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2020, 11:43:03 AM »
Pierre,

You are absolutely correct, it only changes the brightness of the buttons.
Sorry for the inaccurate information.  :-\

Rick D.

Hammond Yamaha

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2020, 09:36:34 PM »
I wonder would anti-glare film work.

Frank