Author Topic: Alternatives to the Genos score player?  (Read 3075 times)

Offline cando614

Alternatives to the Genos score player?
« on: March 01, 2020, 07:12:20 AM »
I love the music score player on the Genos, and the larger screen is a vast improvement in usability over my old PSR-s910.  But in the grand scheme of things it's still pretty small, and the lack of tilt is a disadvantage IMO.  So I'm looking for an "app" for Windows 10 or the iPad, that does EVERYTHING the Genos score player can.  Most importantly, display: chords, lyrics, large melody notes, and yes even note names!  I only care about the melody staff because I just play chords with my left hand.  So I want the ability to hide the bass clef. 

As on the Genos, the input to the display program will be a MIDI or KAR file.  The chords might be embedded Yamaha XF chords, or more often something else -- not really sure what else is out there.  If the MIDI file doesn't already contain chords, I guess I'll have to edit the lyrics, and place them in-line with the lyrics.  NOT looking forward to that!  Some ability to customize the display, i.e., turn the lyrics off, resize, enable auto scroll, or manually turn the page with a foot pedal would be desirable.  Perhaps I'm spoiled because the Genos has all of these features!

I've tried a few programs already on both the PC and iPad.  Many come close, but none that I've tried cover ALL of the things I've mentioned.  Could it be that the world's best MIDI-to-score animated display resides in our Yamaha instruments?  ;D  Suggestions please!!

3dc

Offline Rick D.

Re: Alternatives to the Genos score player?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 09:01:10 AM »
Cando614,

You didn’t say if you were playing out or in your home, but you could always hook up a monitor to the Genos and hang it on the wall behind the music rest as big as you need. Unlike the Tyros, you would need an adaptor to go from whatever the monitor has for a plug to USB, on the Genos. I use an iPad and the Songbook + app, but you would have to get your music in the form of PDf. If you use midis exclusively, the monitor is the easiest way for you. An old computer monitor is all you need, or if you need something larger a flat screen TV would work too.
If your midis don’t have the chords, you could use a DAW to insert the chords manually. Or re-record the song on the Genos and it will add the chords.

Hope this helps.

Rick D.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 08:27:49 PM »
Mobile sheets pro and companion app. I load sheet music from my Win 10 internet machine computer  and transfer by wi-fi  to Hp slate from the companion program.
Great for music. Buy a page turner as well as both go together very well. I think HP Slates are not made any more, so a Apple machine would be good at least a12 inch version. :)
Get an android screen large as possible .
I have an old HP Slate and that is a 21inch android. Great for sheet music but not for movies and large programs
Sheet music only takes up Kilobytes.

All the best
John
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

whataguy

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 10:34:40 PM »
Hey John - I'm a huge MobilesheetsPro fan too, been with him from the start. But, with my limited computer skills I'm only using it minimally. How did you connect with your keyboard? I'm using an Samsung android tablet and would like to connect to my Genos so I can sync my set lists from the tablet to the playlists on the Genos. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.  Don in MI

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 11:44:28 PM »
hi Don
I do not connect my keyboard to the slate.
I have a Page Air Turner footpedal and that is the way i read. One tap and the next page is there up to the end of song following
If i want to print a score  of my own notes i go to Cubase10.5.
I also got Steinbergs Dorico SE when it was going free and that is enough to produce lead sheets.
If you can get a copy of that it is a bonus.
You do not need bigger score programs unless you are composer for loads of instruments or the film producer. ;D ;D "Roll Over Beethoven"!!! :P :P

All the best
John
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 11:45:44 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline reya

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 11:20:01 AM »
Hey John - I'm a huge MobilesheetsPro fan too, been with him from the start. But, with my limited computer skills I'm only using it minimally. How did you connect with your keyboard? I'm using an Samsung android tablet and would like to connect to my Genos so I can sync my set lists from the tablet to the playlists on the Genos. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.  Don in MI

Hi Don,
I use Mobilesheets, connected to my Genos. Not to sync set lists to playlists though. Not sure that is possible. Not sure if it is necessary either. Read on.

I use the setlists in Mobilesheets to organise what I want to play, and for each song, when the score is displayed, Mobilesheets instructs Genos to load the Registration file for that specific song. So I am ready to go.
It also works the other way around, load a song (registration file) on Genos (manually or from a playlist), and Mobilesheets will automatically load the score sheet for that song ...
Very easy.

If you need help setting that up, just let me know.

Rudy
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 11:22:14 AM by reya »
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

Offline acparker

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 11:34:27 AM »
I, too, use Mobilesheets, connected to the Genos by way of a usb cable.  Like Reya (Rudy), I set order in Mobilesheets' setlists, and each song is synced to the registration.  I don't use air pedals to turn the page, although I am considering ordering them.  Currently, I set one of the pedals to Sostenuto and have Mobilesheets listen for that to turn the page.  Works pretty good, but I'd like to get that pedal back for other uses.

Adam