Author Topic: USB to USER copy and paste  (Read 39940 times)

Offline Rick D.

USB to USER copy and paste
« on: October 14, 2019, 01:06:15 PM »
Hi Guys,

I have been having an unusual problem, that I don't recall having in the past. I have registrations on a USB memory stick from my computer, that I want to transfer to the USER section of the keyboard. The registrations play perfectly from the USB.
I insert the USB, copy the files I want, and paste them in the USER section. When I go to use the registrations in the USER section, they work fine as long as the USB stick is still inserted in the keyboard. If the stick is removed, the registrations are in the USER section, but the drum section is of the previous registration I played, it doesn't change with the registration change. If I put the USB stick back it plays normally from both USB and USER section. I don't recall this happening in the past.
I'm most certain I am forgetting to do something. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Rick D.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: USB to USER copy and paste
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 01:13:33 PM »
Your problem is that your registrations are looking for its files on the USB drive.

When you created your registrations, you told them the user style was on the USB drive. So that’s where they look for them. Why would they look anywhere else?

If you want your registrations to look for styles on the User drive, you need to tell them so. That means re-memorizing the registrations.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 02:11:03 PM »
Thanks Fred,
I thought if you copied a registration and pasted it in the User section, that it would be like a whole new registration location.
I will do as you say, and let you know how I make out.

Thanks again,
Rick D.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 03:41:30 PM »
Rick,

I recommend that you remove the USB stick when memorizing the registrations from the User Drive.  It's possible to get confused about where the registration is loaded from if the USB stick is connected to your keyboard. You could inadvertently re-memorized them to the USB drive once again.

Joe H
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 07:34:37 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 06:38:04 PM »
Is this the case of the hidden folders, registrations on the user are put in C:/REGIST/ so that is where the GENOS goes looking for them.

So the I:/MYREG/NUMBER1.RGT  would have to be C:/REGIST/MYREG/NUMBER1.RGT

Murrey's program can convert them for you, this is my understanding but I am a complete novice with the GENOS as I have only had it a week.

The problem is Rick has a Tyros, not a Genos.

On the Genos (from ver 1.2 onwards), a registration will search all available drives regardless of the drive letter stored, thus eliminating this problem on a Genos.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 03:24:30 PM »
Thanks for all the help!

I found out what I was doing wrong. Fred you got my brain thinking properly. I knew it was pilot error!
The registrations I am using, have their own styles. The reason it needed the USB inserted to work, is because I forgot to move the Style to the USER section as well as the Registration. DUH!
Once I moved the Style to the USER section everything worked as it should.
That's a nice feature the Genos has to search all drives. Someday I will make the switch to the Genos, I am waiting for Genos 2.

Thanks again for all the help!  :)

Rick D.

Audrey Turner

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 11:54:42 PM »
Hello Rick - "Join the Club"

I've lost count of the times I've forgotten to change from Regits to Styles or vice versa, so now, I've opened a new 'Master' Folder  named 'YAM REGITS' and another 'Master' Folder named 'YAM STYLES'.  You can now Open each 'Master' and save all the rest of your Regits / Styles using their own original folders.

This works so well, I've now got 'Master' Folders for all my other Style collections i.e. Technics, Korg, Roland etc.  - so much easier and the plus is, if you find a style or regit you like, you just have to copy/ paste and SAVE it to the USER  file.  Try it, for me it works a treat.

Good luck!  Audrey Turner

The following users thanked this post: YammyFan

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 12:59:54 AM »
Thanks Audrey

Rick D.

Genos!

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 04:04:10 AM »
... Someday I will make the switch to the Genos, I am waiting for Genos 2. ...

I keep hearing this... a few times on various forums. I have always associated Genos 2 with the upgrade BEING Genos 2.xx, etc. Is there ever really going to be a Genos 2? I don't see what it would accomplish that couldn't be done with an update.

I certainly hope that the Genos doesn't go the Tyros 1..5 route. A Genos is quite the spend and for me a one-shot deal not to be or need repeating.

I'm glad you got the problem sorted and good advice on removing the usb that I will try to avoid.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 04:07:54 AM by Genos! »

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 04:20:55 AM »
Genos, thanks. This is an older post. I  have since bought the Genos about a month ago and like it a lot. I’m still finding out all it can do. One thing I do like is the new GUI. It is so much easier to navigate than all the buttons the Tyros 5 had. Some of the new voices are very good, as well as the styles. The reason I didn’t wait for Genos 2 is because there are rumors it will be another year or so, and I didn't want to wait that long. I also had a buyer for my Tyros 5 and I got a deal from Guitar Center I couldn’t pass up.

Rick D.

Offline YammyFan

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 09:29:55 AM »
Hello Rick - "Join the Club"

I've lost count of the times I've forgotten to change from Regits to Styles or vice versa, so now, I've opened a new 'Master' Folder  named 'YAM REGITS' and another 'Master' Folder named 'YAM STYLES'.  You can now Open each 'Master' and save all the rest of your Regits / Styles using their own original folders.

This works so well, I've now got 'Master' Folders for all my other Style collections i.e. Technics, Korg, Roland etc.  - so much easier and the plus is, if you find a style or regit you like, you just have to copy/ paste and SAVE it to the USER  file.  Try it, for me it works a treat.

Good luck!  Audrey Turner
Do you make these new Master  Folders on your Genos or  do you make them on a computer? I don't own a Genos but am wondering if I can do all this on my PSR970

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 10:20:13 AM »
Do you make these new Master  Folders on your Genos or  do you make them on a computer? I don't own a Genos but am wondering if I can do all this on my PSR970

Either will do. You can create the folders on your keyboard, or on a computer.

If you’re creating several, the computer will be faster.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline overover

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2020, 10:44:45 AM »

Hi YammyFan,

please read page 29 in the S970 Owner's Manual ("Basic Operations - File Management - Creating a New Folder"). :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)